What is/was your occupation? I'm thinking of leaving the desk....

Director of QA for a large multi plant foods company.
Responsible for quality assurance, food safety, governmental regulations compliance and laborotory operations. Requires a PhD in Food Science and experience.

I was an IT manager at a megacorp and now do IT type work at home. Sometimes I think I'd like a job working with people more, then I remember sitting in meetings all day with a bunch of people out of a Dilbert cartoon and the feeling goes away.

Last edited:
IT. 30 years. Large system sales, sales management, services (consulting, outsourcing, break/fix) management, regional management. It has changed so much-the margins are much lower. That took a lot of the fun out of the business.

Started out from university in an accounting career. Hated it so I switched. Best thing I ever did. Enjoyable, challenging, interesting travel, lucrative income.

HR services. Everything from sales to marketing, to finance and strategy, M&A and finally senior exec for 11 years. I'm also an introvert who was stuck in an extrovert's job for most of my career. I considered real estate as a second career once upon a time, but decided I didn't want to start at the bottom again since I'd already made it to one step from the top.

R

My career path:

house painter > retail executive trainee > window (like the kind in your house) salesman > unemployed traveler > business development manager for internet company > internet company entrepreneur > unemployed traveler > dry cleaning entrepreneur > window sales entrepreneur > internet company marketing director > internet entrepreneur > internet company VP > business broker. Maybe by the time I hit 45 I'll figure out what I want to do with my life! :)

Just an old engineer. I looked at several alternatives over the years so I could stay home with the family, but nothing ever paid nearly as well. And much riskier. I did learn that you have to be ready to move to survive.
+1

I moved into various levels of management until the reorg hit after being acquired. Now I live the quiet life of being a regular old engineer.

When I was in industry I thought of our mission as providing management with information and analyses that help them understand the business and make better business decisions and one of the more interesting part of my jobs was taking technical, complex issues and boiling them down to something so simple a CEO or board member could understand it.
Having been amongst the people you were providing information to, you probably seldom succeeded. I was amazed the number of times absolutely absurd decisions were made because of pre-existing opinions or they defended their part of the kingdom over the good of all. Facts just got in the way.

I've been told I have a problem with my cynicism; but with everything going on in the world, I find it difficult to keep up. :)

I taught my Son Java and he took AP CompSci in HS. Looks like he is going to apply for CS this year. I am not sure how prevalent the jobs will be for him when he graduates, as was for me.

I am also IT.

FH2000... tell you son to find another discipline he likes, learn that too and the jobs will be plentiful. I have been doing IT programming/management for the Financial services industry for 25 years and I can never find enough people to hire with a CS background that can also talk "intelligently" to the business people. He will end up having issues finding a job if he only wants to sit in a box, get specs and write code.

The other thing is to decide is how hard he wants to work. I have made offers to people who did not except them because we work hard here and put in a lot of 9-5 hours (plus one or two outside that rage each day). A lot of the people I have tried to hire want flextime/casual dress and we do not have it. We pay very well, but expect a lot for it.

I've been told I have a problem with my cynicism; but with everything going on in the world, I find it difficult to keep up. :)

If you're not cynical, you're just not paying attention!

Director of QA for a large multi plant foods company.
Responsible for quality assurance, food safety, governmental regulations compliance and laborotory operations. Requires a PhD in Food Science and experience.

A good friend of mine is director of QC for a meat packaging plant and used to be a USDA inspector. She has some horror stories to tell..........:nonono:

What job?

I've been a minister since 1976 when I got out of seminary. Three churches. Three and a half years to go.

I second Meadbh's suggestion. I could tell you what I have done over my career(s), but it would be of no assistance to you. All of my work has required substantial, highly specialized training. Find what you are suited for and then devote yourself to that. It may or may not be real estate.
+1.

And here's the most important thing I can think of to tell somebody about real estate...it has less to do with helping people buy and sell homes, and more to do with being a SALES JOB. You MUST have a sales pipeline, just like any other Sales organization. You have to do marketing, lead generation, lead qualification (so you're not wasting your time and money on people who won't go to closing), and close deals. Because you only get paid when your leads move through the pipeline and go to closing.
Here's the most important thing I can think of to tell somebody about real estate: Google "Glengarry Glen Ross speech", and watch the 7:09 minute YouTube clip that you'll find a link to.

I worked as a mechanic, then bought my own auto and truck shop with money I saved and a loan from my Dad. I did that for over 25 years. I put in many 14 hour days 6 days a week. I finally closed my business at age 50 because it had took a toll on my body. I retired in 2012 as a golf course superintendent having worked at that job for almost 15 years. Never once sit behind a desk other than to fill out weekly paper work. I have no college education deciding instead to join the military in 1966 instead of waste my Dads money and my time in a class room. I made more money than most college grads did the years I was self employed and I did not have to answer to a boss. In 1980 I paid taxes on $68,000.00. Not bad for a dumb country boy. I am not knocking people who attend college but learning a skill like a mechanic will always keep you a job. I also am self taught, only learning what I could from my brother and Dad and reading plenty of books. At age 66 I am debt free and I hope my health holds out so I can enjoy those carefree days ahead. Health is much more important than money the way I see it. What good is money if you cannot enjoy it. oldtrig.

A good friend of mine is director of QC for a meat packaging plant and used to be a USDA inspector. She has some horror stories to tell..........:nonono:

There have been some situations you would find hard to believe, but any reputable company always errs on the side of safety and quality. That and providing top notch customer service assures profitability.

Engineer but moved into municipal utility management where I lost touch with most of the technical skills. A few gigs in consulting before, between, and after two 15 year municipal gigs. Once retired I have no desire to return to any j*b of any kind, but until last couple of years did enjoy the career(s).

IT director for many years, then IT consultant. Now I just do some systems and programming work on a part time basis usually from home.

I worked as a mechanic, then bought my own auto and truck shop with money I saved and a loan from my Dad. I did that for over 25 years. I put in many 14 hour days 6 days a week. I finally closed my business at age 50 because it had took a toll on my body. I retired in 2012 as a golf course superintendent having worked at that job for almost 15 years. Never once sit behind a desk other than to fill out weekly paper work. I have no college education deciding instead to join the military in 1966 instead of waste my Dads money and my time in a class room. I made more money than most college grads did the years I was self employed and I did not have to answer to a boss. In 1980 I paid taxes on $68,000.00. Not bad for a dumb country boy. I am not knocking people who attend college but learning a skill like a mechanic will always keep you a job. I also am self taught, only learning what I could from my brother and Dad and reading plenty of books. At age 66 I am debt free and I hope my health holds out so I can enjoy those carefree days ahead. Health is much more important than money the way I see it. What good is money if you cannot enjoy it. oldtrig.

Oldtrig, love it!

Sailing instructor, lifeguard, garbage truck driver, Phantom driver......oh yeah, and a retired airline pilot.

Former Marine Corps captain, then law enforcement. Spent all my life trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. Then it hit me:

Retired...

Even though I'm not yet grown up.

Software engineer
Product marketing
Corporate marketing
Website site manager
Serial volunteer after retiring.

...I did not have to answer to a boss.

Other than customers...

I chose to be a worker bee. Didn't make the kind of dough that those in management or ownership made, but I clocked out at 5PM, and didn't think about the damned place again until the next day. :dance:

Spent all my life trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. Then it hit me:

Retired...

Even though I'm not yet grown up.

+1

Are any of you willing to share your primary job duties/occupations during your careers (whether you're still working or not)? I am realizing that the majority of my discontent for my job comes from the lack of people interaction. I have worked in analytical accounting/finance type "back office" roles at larger companies. Over 95% of my job does not require any people skills nor much human interaction, and I think this bothers me. Moreover, I feel as if I "go the extra mile" it has zero impact to our business/profitability. So I am wondering if that majority of posters here have held "corporate" type roles (i.e., corporate IT, finance, risk, strategy, communications, etc) whereby you are/were part of an overall process and your value-add to the firm might not be as visible as other employees who work in sales, client servicing, etc.

I've always been interested in real estate, and genuinely like earning money and feeling rewarded, but I always feel dissatisfied coming home from work. I am contemplating pursuing a career has a real estate agent in the city.

It would be hard to give up my comfortable salary and benefits, but I have the net worth to cover me quite some time should I not earn a pay check right away. Moreover, I could always revert back to an accounting or finance type role (worst case scenario) - even though it may be harder to get my foot in the door somewhere. I have an acquaintance that owns a real estate brokerage in the city that I am grabbing dinner with this week, so I plan to ask him some questions!

I was born and raised in Chicago. I left at the ripe old age of 18 and joined the Navy. I retired after 20 years and have worked in the aviation training/simulation field ever since. I couldn't imagine NOT interacting with people on a daily basis as part of my job. I wish you well!

Mike

I'm a US Army Lieutenant Colonel, and an Occupational Therapist by profession for the last 16 years. Even though I like the work, oddly enough I think I'm an introvert in an extrovert's job. A former girlfriend once characterized me as an introvert with good social skills.

After graduating from college I was a US Navy Supply Corps officer. Then went back to school and got the OT credentials.

I just started the retirement process........TODAY! Projected retirement date - November 2014.

Last edited:
My work may have never been socially excepted by the people who thought they came from royalty:D I once showed up to play golf at a high end golf course in blue jeans just to irk the people I was playing with that day. I had extra clothes but I just wanted to see the look on their face when I showed up with jeans and tee shirt. I have more money in one bank than they did all together but never let on I have anything. I never fit in social events anyway and laughed at the upper class who thought they were had million's and could not even pay the months car payment. My neighbor still works, is age 62 and makes around $120,000.00 per year. They are so far in debt they will never get out. The wife tells my wife all the time they live from paycheck to paycheck. She has to have to latest automobile, latest fashions and they never eat at home. What they make they spend. He will have a good retirement but not as much as he is making now. If its the latest fad she has to have it. I again laugh behind their back. He once let his lawn mower sit for almost two years right where it quit because he could not fix anything. I actually feel sorry for those people. I was taught to not throw away anything and I can repair almost anything I try. I bought it from him and repaired it for $30 but never mentioned it to him. lol Not bragging just the way I was brought up in the 50' and 60's as a young person. My Dad was a master machinist and I really never seen anything he could not repair. My son never followed in my footsteps and he and his wife are strapped in debt I doubt they will ever daylight.When I worked at my last job before I retired I would check the garbage dump every Monday. You would not believe what people throw away. I have found complete sets of golf clubs worth at least $100 just tossed in the dump. Sold many on them on ebay. One of co-workers laughed at me for checking the shopping area each Monday ( the dump) morning but I didn't care because gold was to be found. Back to my dirty clothes and doing what I enjoy. oldtrig

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom