What is your retirement Goal/Dream?

Want to retire at 55. Not worry about my family drama. Sleep, exercise outside, fish, travel, hike in mountains, fish, fish and fish.

Mine keeps changing. Originally it was chill at home, sleeping in and doing some travel. These days I'm leaning towards spending winters living on a sailboat diving the Caribbean... Logistically, that would be easier with a wife on board.. I think it can probably be done without one though.
This had been my dream since I lived on Okinawa in 2000, while i was in the service.

This had been my dream since I lived on Okinawa in 2000, while i was in the service.
I've toyed with sailing for a couple decades (recently started reading a sailing book I bought a couple decades ago). Diving was a thing I enjoyed, then gave up due to circumstances, then recently took back up. Diving on a sailboat in the Caribbean kinda made me wish that was my life.... Sailing a 16ft Bowie this week reminded me that even small boat sailing is enjoyable... And made me wish I was as crazy enough to go be one of those "Sea Gypsies"... But I'm not that optimistic or willing to sacrifice comfortable I enjoy quite yet lol. So I'll keep saving for a while longer at least ..

Retire in 82 days. Detoxify from work stress with the following:

Work the farm, my excitement comes from having time to cleanup an overgrown 4 acre mess on my creek and plant an arboretum- a lifelong dream. Something I will greatly enjoy and a small gift to the future.

Exercise routinely without interrupting workout schedule due to work demands- really looking forward to time for ten mile walks with DW. We do that on " vacations" now.

One nice trip a year: Prague, Tuscany, Cotswolds,Ontario, western Colorado & Utah, Maine, working on my good friend's orchard near Sacramento next harvest season.

Fishing on the bays when the tide, wind, weather is right instead of being responsible & going to work- especially on Wednesday & Thursday when there are no crowds.

Time to expand the orchard and garden.
Can't wait, counting the Mondays !

Almost afraid I'll wake up from a dream and it won't happen for 20 more years.

Last edited:
I think I'm living it.

Wonderful wife, living in a dream location. We walk, hike, soak in great hot springs, workout in a wonderful facility, fish, and hopefully snowshoe!😂

Since retirement I have seen my wife's health slowly improve. I consider that a miracle. We both consider ourselves very fortunate.

Last edited:
I had always hoped to take out Wilt Chamberlains record, but by the time I hit 50 y/o, I was plum tuckered out!

100 points in one game? I can do that, although only in golf.

I've toyed with sailing for a couple decades (recently started reading a sailing book I bought a couple decades ago). Diving was a thing I enjoyed, then gave up due to circumstances, then recently took back up. Diving on a sailboat in the Caribbean kinda made me wish that was my life.... Sailing a 16ft Bowie this week reminded me that even small boat sailing is enjoyable... And made me wish I was as crazy enough to go be one of those "Sea Gypsies"... But I'm not that optimistic or willing to sacrifice comfortable I enjoy quite yet lol. So I'll keep saving for a while longer at least ..

I am not sure I could go full Sea Gypsies. However, if it meant retiring my my 40's I could do it. I just got on a sailing team at the local yacht club....Got to start somewhere.

I will start. I want to RE at about 55, purchase a catamaran, and sail around the world for about 6 years. The DW is on board.

During this time the Wife and I will be delivering school supplies to remote island schools and helping kids anyway we can.

Have you ever heard of bumfuzzle?

It's a blog of a couple who quit their jobs to sail around the world on a catamaran (with basically no sailing experience) it was a great journey to follow along with at the time (2003).

Start of the long journey (and long blog) here:
https://www.bumfuzzle.com/septemberoctober-2003/
(looks like you can download a Kindle version for free as well: https://www.amazon.com/Bumfuzzle-Just-Out-Looking-Pirates-ebook/dp/B003DTMSMS )

Breakdown of their costs:
Cost for a Sail Around the World - Bumfuzzle

Last edited:
I will start. I want to RE at about 55, purchase a catamaran, and sail around the world for about 6 years. The DW is on board.

During this time the Wife and I will be delivering school supplies to remote island schools and helping kids anyway we can.

What is your Goal?

Nice goal! Today I was fitting a new main and jib on our cat while my wife was giving notice to her employer that we are leaving to go sailing in July. We did a shakedown last summer in Haida Gwaii and Alaska. This year it is down to Mexico with an open-ended plan to go sailing until it's not fun any more. We couldn't wait to 55. Life is short.

Our dream was to retire to our extremely low COL area, and to spend summers across town at our lake house on the Tennessee River. We also have a RV in the mountains.

Our daughter has been quite a behavioral problem and we ended up having to raise our granddaughter in retirement. She is now 6 years old and in the first grade at a private school. While I wanted to be traveling the world at this point of my life, I do love taking this very sharp, precious little girl to and from school daily.

We cherish every day, and pray our health will hold up long enough to raise Brynley. Anyway it goes, she will be financially provided for.

You Sir, are a good man.

Have you ever heard of bumfuzzle?

It's a blog of a couple who quit their jobs to sail around the world on a catamaran (with basically no sailing experience) it was a great journey to follow along with at the time (2003).

Start of the long journey (and long blog) here:
https://www.bumfuzzle.com/septemberoctober-2003/
(looks like you can download a Kindle version for free as well: https://www.amazon.com/Bumfuzzle-Just-Out-Looking-Pirates-ebook/dp/B003DTMSMS )

Breakdown of their costs:
Cost for a Sail Around the World - Bumfuzzle

Great site. I've heard of it, but never really checked it out until now! Thanks.

My DW and I will retire Jan 2019. My plan is to bicycle camp around Oregon. My DW and I want to travel out of the country more and maybe check out Portugal.

I am working toward a 2022 exit. Will be mid-50's then. I dislike the stress of my job and am eager to have no schedule each day. Long run/walks, longer trips to the gym, winter in Hawaii, etc.... No major goals though.

I don't have any major goals. I'm just enjoying my hobbies, we adopted a rescue dog, we've met some nice fellow retirees in the senior clubs and we try to plan a get out of the house event each day, like a picnic followed by a walk in the Redwoods, seeing a movie or a night out dancing.

My dream is to retire when I turn 58 and reach full retirement age at work, and then immediately jump in our motor home and head south where it is warm in the winter. I envision being in the motor home for about 25 weeks a year touring the country and chasing 70 degree weather. I also plan to continue serving on a couple of Boards and “getting my hands dirty” on our farm and in my wood shop. I’ve been blessed and will look for ways “to give back” during my retirement. Maybe we will be able to travel in a motor home with some future grandchildren.

My dream is to retire when I turn 58 and reach full retirement age at work, and then immediately jump in our motor home and head south where it is warm in the winter. I envision being in the motor home for about 25 weeks a year touring the country and chasing 70 degree weather. I also plan to continue serving on a couple of Boards and “getting my hands dirty” on our farm and in my wood shop. I’ve been blessed and will look for ways “to give back” during my retirement. Maybe we will be able to travel in a motor home with some future grandchildren.
I like it!

Retire from my low-stress job in my mid 50s (12 years to go). Find things to stay busy until my wife fully retires (10 years behind me). keep building our urban homestead, climb some mountains, manage our aging long distance parents. Occasionally spend a month abroad on the cheap (we'll be those old folks in the youth hostel).

I'm not entirely sure yet. I have three very different dreams in my head about what I could do.

In one I buy a house, get a dog, and settle into a very relaxing lifestyle focused on living healthy, learning new things, hobbies, and spending more time with my parents, as they are approaching 80 and could use some help. Maybe continue to work part-time.

In a second vision, I take off for asia or south america, and travel around. Living in different countries for a few months at a time and then moving on. Just one big adventure.

In a third vision, I buy an RV and set off on a multi-year road trip in the US. Driving from place to place, seeing the sights.

The first vision is the most likely. The 2nd and 3rd would be way outside of my comfort zone, but maybe that's what I need to do.

Financially I'm very very close. I'm actually surprised at how close I am.

I will turn 42 in 2018. I have pretty reliable income from my taxable investments of $28k per year. I'd like to get that to $35k at least. I am vested in a state pension which I can collect at 60. The pension and social security will be more than I need for retirement. So my taxable investments just need to get me to 60. I also have a Roth IRA and 401k, for even more money at 60+.

I want to get my income to $35k, maybe $40k.

My w-2 income is $70k. With my w-2 income and taxable income, I can invest around $52k per year, plus whatever dividend growth and capital gains I make.

Current living expenses, excluding taxes, is around $30k. Almost half of that goes to rent ($12k)... so if I bought a house, even with a mortgage, it would probably reduce my living expenses by $5k-$6k with a mortgage. If I paid off a house I think it would lower my living expense by $8k-$9k.. I could buy a nice house for $100k where I live now.

Last edited:
I'm living my dream. Top floor of a villa in Zihantenejo looking at people fish in the bay. No agenda

I always thought we would take long slow travel. You know 2 months in Florence. a month on Lake Como, long term rental in London. maybe a house in NZ,etc. Didn’t work out that way. Turned out we needed to be closer to aging parents who needed our help. So instead bought a couple of vacation type homes in North America. Things change, you adapt, all good.

We live a simple life, a few vacations a year, live frugally. My big retirement dream is to be healthy to enjoy it. Our yearly spending is @ 60K. Love our neighbors and spend lots of time with friends and family. Nothing extravagant.

Back
Top Bottom