Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larro Darro View Post
As for the OP, quietly look around, but don't slam any doors. Things could turn around, and the years of work at your job just fly by. I know that has been the case with me.
That has happened with me as well. It wasn't difficulty with the people but the work I was doing was boring and repetitive. Taking a page from What Color is Your Parachute? I persuaded my employer to create the job I wanted and as a result I stayed almost five years longer than I had planned to because I enjoyed the work so much. That took some patience though since it took two or three years for that to happen. And of course I made sure I was more qualified than anyone else for the new position.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but I can tell you in large parts of the middle of the US, there is a lot more demand for many types of software developers than there is supply.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
hate your job?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

hate your job?

Dave Ramsey says that he would't spend one day in a job he didn't like. ..

that being said, I work in IT field and I have a like/hate relationship with my job. I've used the financial benefit of being in IT to become debt free to eventually find another job or vocation.

with that being said, given the fact that your talents are in development/programming, the sky is the limit for you. I've always said that if I had those kinds of talents, I'd become a self employed indepentant contractor and earn a minimum of $150hr like some of the self employed IC's that I have to contract with from time to time. Get engaged with Manpower or Experis and see what contract opportunities exist. Perhaps self employment would be the ticket!

Good luck!
Freeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Start looking for a new job, and keep asking your current employer to change your responsibilities. There should be plenty of opportunities for a software developer (I know my husband gets plenty of offers via Linked in, and he's not even listed as looking for a job)

It's not worth it to be miserable for such a long time.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #25

I successfully made the switch from project lead back to individual contributor. I am a good programmer/problem solver/software designer... I suck at predicting schedules and man power. And I hated it.

But as Ha said - money is better for managers. I've accepted that my current pay level is my final level... it requires a move to management to get above this pay grade. Doesn't matter - work doesn't suck as much when I'm just solving a technical problem vs dealing with program management and schedules.

A (former) coworker recently left because he'd kind of been forced into management and couldn't escape without leaving the company. He found a job that is as an individual contributor... He was MUCH happier/more relaxed when we went for beers recently.

My division was recently sold to another company. I know the managers are the ones sweating the most... especially those that have lost their technical skills over their years of management. There are lots of development jobs out there - but not a lot of managerial jobs. And layoffs (round 2 since the transaction) are coming soon.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
A (former) coworker recently left because he'd kind of been forced into management and couldn't escape without leaving the company. He found a job that is as an individual contributor... He was MUCH happier/more relaxed when we went for beers recently.
That is exactly why I stopped taking promotional tests after I went into the Fraud Section of the Police Department. Hey - 8 to 4 Monday to Friday, weekends and holidays off instead of rotating shift work, a bit shorter commute, and I'm getting to see DW a lot more often. The only downside was a $5-$6K pay reduction (no overtime/holiday pay) but by that time the trade-off was more than worth it.