Join Early Retirement Today

What to do with 50k from house sale?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

What to do with 50k from house sale?

My Girlfriend and I moved in, and she has about 50k from the equity in her house now sitting in her savings account. Obviously this isn't ideal since its making next to nothing in interest.

The plan is to invest 10k for college of her child. (he's 4 now -and a ton of fun)
The 40k will be used (or a portion of it) when we build a new house in about 3-5 years.

We've been looking at an ING Mutual fund account, and putting the 40k in ING balanced fund (IDBAX), and the 10k in strategic growth fund (IDSGX).

Thoughts? We don't need this money for anything for a few years 3-5, and we want, like everyone, this money to work for us and to grow.

Thoughts?
AirplaneGuy
AirplaneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Stay away from ING as their expense ratios are ridiculous. Just look at the two funds you mentioned - both well over 1%.

As most will recommend on here, look into Fidelity and Vanguard. With a 3-5 year time frame, I wouldn't get too aggressive with this money. For starters, I would move it a money market fund once you choose a brokerage.

If you are going to invest 10k all at once for college, then you'll want a 529.

HTH,
JD
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you dont max out a 401k type plan, I would suggest that first and spend down the cash and keep some for an emergency fund, etc. and worry about the cash needed in 3-5 years..
Old 05-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

We've got the emergency fund already taken care of outside of this money.

Ah, I almost forgot about setting up a 529 plan. I'll have to dig into that.

I'll look into some of the fidelity / vanguard funds.
AirplaneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oakmark Income (OAKBX) has been steady on it's feet this year. Closed to all investors except for those who buy direct from the fund. After you purchase it you can transfer it to Fidelity.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If your plans are reasonably firm re: building a house in a few years, I would buy a CD or find a nice Muni bond maturing in that time frame. You could well take a beating in 3 years in a fund with significant equity market exposure. If your plans are more nebulous, you could do worse then Vanguard STAR or Wellington.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote