Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When will Martha retire?
Before June 2006 11 28.21%
June 2006 10 25.64%
2007 5 12.82%
2008 or later 5 12.82%
Never: Dies in an "accident" involving a guy living in her basement. 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Re: When Will Martha Retire?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Raise up thy toilet seat
Is that JG talking about his 2nd amendment rights again?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey Martha, Miers pulled her name from the supreme court nomination. Interested? This might make a good polling question.*
Old 10-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
A nice, more usable, wine rack would help too.
On my screen the line break was between "wine" and "rack", and I failed to read "wine" the first time through. For a moment there thought were were getting TMI again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Hey man, I respect the sanctity of marriage. Attractive as Martha is, Greg is my Bro'.
We have pictures of Martha? I recall a leg or foot once...or is that enough for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Hey Martha, Miers pulled her name from the supreme court nomination. Interested?
That's not retiring. And we couldn't glean legal insight (never advice, mind you) from her if she took that job. I doubt the surpremes would post their observations on internet forums.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have pictures of Martha? I recall a leg or foot once...or is that enough for you?
Only if wearing tennis shoes, or the occasional python boot...

FZ

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #25

So, here's my/our (as yet unnegotiated with the DW) retirement plan for after our two year around the US/world fling:

1) We buy a big piece of land in Iowa and open a commune. Martha and I vote to make her President and Supreme Ruler. It's a tie vote, but I win because I'm bigger than her (by weight, especially around the lips).

2) All board members who have lost money because they were invested in Index funds are allowed to join. People who didn't lose money in "the crash of 2006" are especially welcome. DW and I will contribute 2 ATVs and a snowblower. Others must contribute one unemployed child to the commune pot. We will raise goats, corn, vegetables and grapes. Family units will participate in communal cooking obligations, unless they are voted to "outhouse detail."

3) We will run a non-electronic message board: This means when you have something to say you must walk or run over to the communal meal room and post it on paper towels or a blackboard. Moderators are required to transfer everything from this general board to rolls of toilet paper (threads). (Older thread rolls can can be multi-functional by vote, or moderators can just do whatever they want with "selected" squares--I suggest cut and paste .)

4) On Saturdays, all work not completed during the week will be done by "the Saturday nite drinking crowd." They will receive all the wine they can drink in one evening if they complete chores not completed by others. Others will receive one glass--maybe, but especially if they're female. If this works well, Tuesdays and Thursdays could also be made into drinking nites. But if done more than three nites/week, one nite must be reserved for AA meetings or naps.

5) On Sunday mornings, the men gather together to discuss "Truth." Or, if they can't handle The Truth, then politics and religion. From this so called 'truth,' the women shall derive how the commune is run--as they see fit. This separation of powers is critical to a well functioning commune.

6) This new/old-age commune shall be called called ANIMAL BEAST FARM. Uncle Mick will be required to build the septic, and Dan must keep everyone informed on sports highlites. JG will provide irritations. I will provide small motor thingies for the boys to play with when they're not solving all of life's problems. Life could be sooooo good.

--Greg

Old 10-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Can I be in charge of "cash crops"? 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:02 AM   #27

I have an unemployed son that I'll donate.

And then I'll think about joining after I see how I like living alone.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #28

To foster group bonding, Jarhead can teach everyone about zeeee beaver and the shooting of it!
Quote:
4) On Saturdays, all work not completed during the week will be done by "the Saturday nite drinking crowd." They will receive all the wine they can drink in one evening if they complete chores not completed by others. Others will receive one glass--maybe, but especially if they're female. If this works well, Tuesdays and Thursdays could also be made into drinking nites. But if done more than three nites/week, one nite must be reserved for AA meetings or naps.

Life could be sooooo good.

--Greg

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Can I be in charge of "cash crops"? 8)
Of course, we know you have the most experience.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #30

Greg -

I need to hear the female to male ratios before I sign the papers. And I think you are in trouble when Martha gets home.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Greg -

I need to hear the female to male ratios before I sign the papers.* And I think you are in trouble when Martha gets home.
Humm I'm betting it's a 2 to 1 ratio - female to male.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #32

Quote:
. . .But if done more than three nites/week, one nite must be reserved for AA meetings or naps.

. . .
I was with you till this. *You're already setting up rules I can't live with.

:P
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Humm I'm betting it's a 2 to 1 ratio - female to male.
I'm living that now, and it hasn't turned out quite the way I pictured it when I was 14.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #34

I forgot to mention the 'secret carrot.' After we get the place up and running, we'll have paintball fights contests on Sunday afternoons to ventilate prior 'truth' sessions. We should have a red team and a blue team. I nominate SG for leader of the blue team. For the red team, someone should ask GWB to nominate a team leader , and he should also run their strategy and tactic operations from his ranch in Texas --while he's on his vacations.

Now here is where the 'secret carrot' part comes up: We'll get cheerleaders for these contests, wearing skimpy outfiits and high heels--and maybe cowgirl hats. And nylons with little seams up the back. My guess is that our women folk will have no part in this important aspect of wargames, pronounceing it silliness or worse. So I nominate pineapple girl as our cheerleader leader. She could bend over to pour us wine if the bottle stays put.

Time for me to go away for some longer time. I'm doing this voluntarily. DW does NOT have a remote control.

--not-GregTroll
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

If you set it up in Utah, we can all have several wives (why in the world would anyone want more than one? ). We can have church all day Sunday and family night on Monday. Wednesday services start at 5. Saturday will be spent running to soccer games and shopping so we can get to bed early at night and get to church on time.

On the other hand....what about Oregon?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
We can have church all day Sunday and family night on Monday.* Wednesday services start at 5.* Saturday will be spent running to soccer games and shopping so we can get to bed early at night and get to church on time.
Why am I suddenly feeling thirsty for Kool-Aid?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
If you set it up in Utah, we can all have several wives (why in the world would anyone want more than one?* ).* We can have church all day Sunday and family night on Monday.* Wednesday services start at 5.* Saturday will be spent running to soccer games and shopping so we can get to bed early at night and get to church on time.
Only if we get special polka-dot jesus jammies to wear...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

OK, back on topic: ME.

Went out to lunch today with a partner who is turning 65 this year. His wife is 49. We were talking about our spouses and how they scare us with their gloom and doom talk about the market, inflation, etc. My partner's plans currently are to work five more years. His wife is scaring him into it. I think he would like to retire.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
OK, back on topic: ME.*

Went out to lunch today with a partner who is turning 65 this year. His wife is 49.* We were talking about our spouses and how they scare us with their gloom and doom talk about the market, inflation, etc.* My partner's plans currently are to work five more years.* His wife is scaring him into it.* I think he would like to retire.

Sounds like my boss. He also has more money than he will ever know what to do with.*
Old 10-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
OK, back on topic: ME.

Went out to lunch today with a partner who is turning 65 this year. His wife is 49. We were talking about our spouses and how they scare us with their gloom and doom talk about the market, inflation, etc. My partner's plans currently are to work five more years. His wife is scaring him into it. I think he would like to retire.
My nemesis (to make a long story short) at work today told about his wife's brother-in-law dropping dead suddenly at age 43. He seemed almost jolly about it so I didn't offer condolences. He seemed to bring it up to emphasize his own perserverence through multiple heart problems. I'm pretty sure "my nemesis" is set for a full private and military retirment, company stock options from when it was a startup and other investments, but the guy still works. I expect he'll die at his desk, but not before he reflects his triumph of living longer than some others...
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote