Where Is Everyone Living?

Im not a weatherman, but as a native Minnesotan I have never experienced a more mild winter along with a glorious summer in SD. What we have here are large temperature swings, 30 - 40 degrees. So a morning may start off at -10 and end up at 30 by mid afternoon. Every few of weeks we get weather like the Minnesota January thaw 30's and 40's. The dry weather also makes the cold not so cold and the hot not so hot. On the other hand we can get snow in any month with an R in it. We had a 28 degree night during Sturgis rally. I guess that makes this month Argust

Brookings is a nice little town. It's close to heaven, just a little bit east of it as far as I can tell. If you get out this way check it out.

KB- We are now about 21,000. +/- So when are you comming to visit?

Maybe in the spring. Not sure if I want to drive or fly. I've only been there once in the summer and it was beautiful.

Hi all !

I'm in south Central Massachusetts, but Western Massachusetts is a lot prettier, ain't it AdventureGirl ?!

Blackhillsbob: I was at the Black Hills Sturgis Rally about 6 years ago, that area is amazing, lots to see, beautiful roads, very very nice. I mean, you've got the Black hills, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Devils tower all within good riding distance, and it doesn't end there ! I'll be back !

-Pan-

Western Massachusetts

I guess that depends, Panhead, on whether the words "western Massachusetts" bring to mind Stockbridge and Lenox (drove through there Thursday on my way to the lovely Berkshire County House of Correction) or Holyoke and Springfield!

But Central Mass has its share of beautiful spots!

Anne

1976-2004 St. Louis, MO

Might be relocating in the next 2 years once my current project is complete (project manager for family-run commercial construction company), due to personality differences with older brother (anyone know a position in a finance department at a publicly traded company? ;) ).

Peter

This is mainly for blackhillsbob and Panhead, but you others are invited also. I have only been through the
Black Hills SD area on a motorcycle (twice). I have ridden a lot of miles and seen a lot of country. The
Black Hills would be tough to beat IMHO.

John Galt

Western MA, aka. The Berkshires, is really beautiful, no doubt about it. But even poor old Holyoke is home to the Mount Tom Range and is one of my favorite places to hike. Great rocky ledges with wonderful views of the valley. In the fall you can watch the hawk migration from there. There are beautiful homes in the Highlands of Holyoke. My horse is boarded at the base of a small mountain in Feeding Hills, MA (not so far from Springfield)and I can still ride for miles on the M&M trail....I've done some hiking in Central MA too and it has it's share of great places...I'd love to do some riding in the Black Hills of SD, flesh and bone horse or iron horse.... :D

Adventurgirl

Yeah, I really like western mass. I'm from south central, but I can just jump on route 9 and start heading west and things start looking better. More woods, nice hills, less people and buildings. You also have nice towns, northhampton is a pretty cool little town, always something to do there. Mt Greylock is always fun on the bike, etc, etc.
But the black hills, damn, John Galt, I think you got it pinned. I've been around, but that area is amazing.
AdventureGirl, what's this, you ride iron as well as blood ?! You better not be single and under 40, or you're gonna be in trouble very, very quickly !!

Panhead, yes I ride both iron and four-legged. My tastes run towards Arabian horses and BMW motorcycles. Rt. 2 (Mohawk trail) is one of my favorite rides. I was up on Mt Greylock just a few weeks ago. I end up in Northampton for dinner every few weeks. The best riding weather is on it's way and I'm and really looking forward to those great fall rides :D...I am also under 40 (and above 30), but I live with a great guy, so single isn't one of my attributes. ;)
Now I must gather from your ID that HD is your preference, maybe more than one? :)

Adventuregirl

Ahhh yes, the Mohawk trail, what an awesome ride ! Arabian's are cool, I have an ex that is very into them. She worked on a farm that only catered to them. Horses (four legged variety) sure are fun, but my specialty is the iron kind. I hear you about the fall rides, cool air, nice wood burning fireplace smells, beautiful scenery, I'm glad I'll be back in the states for it ! Geez, Adventuregirl, you even know what a panhead is !! Be sure to tell your guy from me he is very lucky ! Oh yeah, Harley's are my babies ok, I had 4, but I just sold an old chopper that I built about 10 years ago, so I'm down to 3 now. I buy em, fix em, ride em, and sell em'. I make enough money at it to keep what is quite an expensive hobby self-sustaining. Well, since your not single, I guess I should go call my ex-girlfriend back..... (No, I'm not kidding !!) ;)
-Pan
.....and of course if you have any friends like you.....
Heh Heh !! :eek:

Awwww Pan, you're making me blush.... ;)
I wish I had a motorcycle-riding girlfriend for you :-/
Well if you're up on the Mohawk Trail this fall and you see a zippy red Beamer with a girl on it, be sure to wave (or at least give me the famous, restrained, HD head-nod!)...
You mentioned the smell of wood burning fireplaces (which I love) but one of my favorites is passing by a fresh-cut hayfield.....mmmm
Oh and the cool spots on a hot day....ahhhhh!
Okay now I'm day-dreaming....and I've got to do some work or I'll never retire!! :D

Adventuregirl

OK, well, as far as where AdventereGirl and I live, everyone knows now, so if you ride motorcycles, horses, or just like checking out fall foliage, I think we told you some of the better areas ! Please enjoy, but watch out for those of us on two wheels or 4 legs !
Don't worry AdventureGirl, I'll look for the red beamer with the girl on it, and I'll wave, you look for either the blue softail with drag bars (yeah, there's alot of em') or the maroon with blue ghost flames hardtail panhead with apehangers and a pogo seat, I could be on either ! I'm also looking forward to all the smells fall has to offer, lots of riding, lots of camping and good freinds ! I already have a 3 day ride planned for labor
day weekend.....
-Pan-

I moved from Erie, Pa in 1986 to Port Orchard, WA and then to Tacoma, WA in 1995 and now we are in the process of moving to the spectacular Methow Valley in eastern WA in early 2005! Hubby is a native Washingtonian, born in Seattle and dtr is all the way from Gao'an, Jiangxi, PRC. Funny how things work out! Halley/Joey and Liliana ChunBao

now we are in the process of moving to the spectacular Methow Valley in eastern WA in early 2005!
Well Halley, you guys should have a ball over there.

In the mid 60s I was working at Coulee Dam. I applied for a mountain goat permit in the Methow drainage. I drove up the Methow and parked near Hart's Pass. I got my goat, and then got dysentary. Then we got a freak snow storm. (Early September) I waited it out for a couple of days and started down. When I finally got down to the road, my car wouldn't start.

By this time I was getting a little weird. I refused to leave the meat, so I am hiking down the road for I don't know how long and some old guy offers me a ride. He let me put my goat in the truck bed. His name was Ted, and he and his wife Mary operated a very nice fisherman's type resort called Lost River Resort, near the river of that name.

He gave me a big breakfast and warmed me up. Then he pulled a bottle of vodka out of his freezer, and gave me a double. I had never seen vodka kept in a freezer before. I have kept a bottle in my freezer ever since, and my sons do the same. Nothing like it!

I think Ted would be about 110 by now, so he has probably passed. After meeting him, we spent lots of good times trout fishing up there, as well as cross country sking during some of the cold snowly winters in the late 60s, early 70s.

If you fish, I always caught fish in that river on a mosquito. It's a good thing too, because I only knew how to tie about 5 patterns.

Mikey

the maroon with blue ghost flames hardtail panhead with apehangers and a pogo seat,

Hmmmm... should we call you Panhead or Ironbutt? :D
Hope to see you on the roads!!! :)

Adventuregirl

Back
Top Bottom