Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't post anything back in 2007 when the thread was started. If I had, I'm sure I would have been way off. I had no plans to own a 2nd home near the beach. I think I was talking about building a cabin in the country back then. Five years from now.......hopefully alive and healthy. No major plans other than some traveling along the way.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How did I miss this thread?

In 5 years I will have been out of California for a year, and as a result will have experienced the same feeling of elation and emancipation that I did upon FIRE. I will probably be well into whatever next creative phase I will have designed for myself. I will have completed evolving my personality from a historically very strong accomplishment/achievement orientation to something infinitely less driven. I will have added to my collection of treasured relationships. I always meet or exceed goals, so I can't foresee these things not happening. In fact, they're actually all already in process right now.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #183

I wasn't around when this started, but I think the following will be true:
1) Either retire in June 2016, or convert to part-time by June 2016 and will fully retire by Dec 2017. Won't work past Dec 2017 point for sure.
2) Will not be living in NM, although not sure where other than NM might be. It sure as hell won't be return to CA.
3) I will spend my time at home in my big detached garage building hot rods, or working on house projects.
4) Will spend a lot of time traveling in motorhome.
5) Maintain good health, and I will be 57 in 5 years
6) I will not miss work one single bit.
7) Will continue to be thankful for what I have, and what I have worked hard to achieve.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

I posted here 3 years ago after I learned of this thread, and that referred to 5 years earlier before I had ever heard of this forum. I was still working in 2008 but was anticipating an ER later in 2008 which is what happened.

Other than some health issues last year, my ER has been going just fine. In fact, had I still been working, it would have been a lot tougher to deal with those health issues if I had to worry about getting to and from work the whole team, even if I were still working part-time. Being ERed meant that I could devote 100% of my time and effort toward getting myself well and that was a vital part to recovering and getting my life back to normal.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:43 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

2021 is 5 years off. Will be out of the employment world for sure. Spouse may be leaving the workforce at that time, but hopefully a few years sooner. Also, we will have transitioned to retirement home. Not sure what area of the country yet.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #186
Moderator Emeritus

In five years I will be 72.

(1) I'll be griping about RMD's by that time

(2) I'll have switched from divorced spousal SS to my own at age 70, and will be using the higher payments to pay for the taxes on the above RMD's.

(3) Since I will be five years older, I'll be dealing with more of the health issues that older people have to deal with. More time in doctors' offices and labs, ugh.

(4) F and I will still be a happy couple enjoying living next door to one another.

(5) My TV will have died by then, and I'll have decided not to even bother getting another one.

(6) I will still be thinking about hiring a housekeeper, but will still be dragging my feet about actually doing so.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #187
Moderator Emeritus

In 5 years I'll be 65, and hopefully:

1. decluttered significantly
2. have found someone to clean out my gutters
3. have all of my home improvement projects completed
4. simplified yard work so that I can spend more time in my workshop
5. convinced DW to be my support driver in an RV for my Appalachian Trail hike
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

I'm adopting this list. Perfect.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Five years ago we were just embarking on our purchase of a condo in PV. Now we are experienced at wintering in Mexico and travelling to Europe in the spring/fall.
Still working the plan: 5 months in Vancouver, one month in Europe, and the rest in Mexico.

This year is a bike/barge trip down The Moselle in June. Other locations before and after starting in Amsterdam and ending in Paris.

Now working on some health problems since passing my "best before" date!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

This year we bought a gutter cleaning tool from Amazon that looks like a hair dryer on a stick and an extension pole. It works great and cost less than one professional gutter cleaning.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #191
Full time employment: Posting here.

In 2012 for w*rk we had to fill out forms saying where we would be in 3 then 6 years. For the 3 year, I wrote that I expected to have my middle son graduating from college and my youngest in college, I expected that I would be in the final stages of retirement planning and traveling with my wife. At the 6 year mark (2018), I would have all of my sons out of college, have celebrated my 30th anniversary with my wife, and be well into my retirement! Well, my sons are on track 2 are working and 1 is on track to graduate in 2018, we celebrate our 30th this summer, and I retired last year! All on track with the plan.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #192
Recycles dryer sheets

5 years from now, I'll still be 5 years away from FI/ER.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

In 5 years I will be turning 45 and my boyfriend will be 62. We should be married by then. He will be retired, I will be partially retired doing something of my chosing, and we will spend part of the winter somewhere warm. A couple more pieces of the puzzle need to fall into place, but we are getting close to the dream. Healthcare/health insurance may be our biggest hurdle; hope the situation in the US is better in 5 years (whatever that may be).
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #194
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well we got the keys to the new townhouse yesterday. Putting an offer on a catamaran on the weekend. So five years from now, we'll be hanging at anchor in Zihautenejo thinking about the Marquesas or tied at a dock in New Zealand waiting for summer to end so we can head back up to Tonga. In other words I have no idea where I'll be...
Going Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:29 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Five years from now I'll be spending my mornings walking the beach from the condo we close on later this month. I expect we'll have purchased a second condo in a run down condition to begin renewing its life, and if we make a few bucks, maybe another. We were amazed during our search how many run down properties there still are in Florida just waiting to be renewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:47 AM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

In 5 years
- our twins should be graduating from college and hopefully into interesting jobs.
- older son should be out in the workforce for a while and hopefully not bungee-ing back home.
- will have lived in our winter home for 4 years and hopefully love it
- will have been on lots of travel
- cancer will still be in the rearview mirror and no new maladies have cropped up
- hopefully my mom is still around and healthy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #197

From today? Crane Beach, Barbados.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

I think in 5 years we will be living in the same house, same hobbies, same social / hobby clubs, same lives. I think the only thing I would like to change is we need to do more to give back to the community, especially helping the homeless. There are many extremes in wealth and poverty in the metro area where we live, and homelessness is a big issue.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #199
Recycles dryer sheets

Going to have to give this some serious thought.

DW and I have determined where our retirement home will be, and we have relatively vague plans for travel and lifestyle activities, but have not gone through the process of setting out explicit longer-term goals and aspirations.

Now that DW has set a retirement date for the end of the year, we really should invest the effort to come up with something more concrete, regardless of how much like nailing Jello to the wall this may turn out to be.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #200
Moderator Emeritus

In five years we better have crossed visiting Spain and Portugal and Great Britain off the bucket list, where they have percolated for five or more years already.