Wife not "on board" with FIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other reason I see some women not wanting their DHs to retire is besides the money they get their social status via their husband the brain surgeon or their husband the law firm partner.

Mikeo29, a talk with a financial planner could help the issue if your wife is worried about the money part. If it is a loss of social status, too much together time, or something else maybe you can try having some heart to heart chats and work those through.

Last edited:
I don't have any advice to give, but thank you everyone for reminding me of another reason to be happy I never married! :cool:

May or may not be applicable, but I saw a great quote (-Hank Smith) the other day:

Placing blame in a marriage is like saying, "Your side of the boat is sinking".

Not had to work, it's never that simple..They have a child to raise, if the OP has a long hours demanding job most likely the spouse had shouldered most if not all of the everyday life needs..in addition she does work one day a week and makes a decent hourly wage.

Laughable. Fooling around the house is a far cry from a demanding career job that is killing you.

Laughable. Fooling around the house is a far cry from a demanding career job that is killing you.

Uh, you said.never had to work...I simply pointed out that the spouse is not sitting around eating bonbons...it's not a contest about who has the biggest pair ..the attitude of some Posters about women in this thread is kind of disturbing...

Not had to work, it's never that simple..They have a child to raise, if the OP has a long hours demanding job most likely the spouse had shouldered most if not all of the everyday life needs..in addition she does work one day a week and makes a decent hourly wage.

I'll bet a good reason she doesn't want him to retire is that he would finally see how easy she has it "shouldering most if not all of the everyday life needs". :D

I'll bet a good reason she doesn't want him to retire is that he would finally see how easy she has it "shouldering most if not all of the everyday life needs". :D

You have absolutely no basis for this comment....talk about dissing women for no reason ..apparently it's ok to mock a SAHM who works one day a week.

....sitting around eating bonbons......
Hahahah, When we first got our answering machine, I had our message say" "we cant come to the phone right now, BCG is probably at work right now, and Mrs. BCG is probably sitting on the couch watching soap operas, & eating bon bons.:D. She wasnt too amused when she found out but we had a good laugh.

HaHaHa...this thread has brought out the misogynists among us..that's sad..but NOT funny..enjoy yourselves boys...

How many of us realize that possibly our last free decision is when we say, "I do?"

After that, there is always the heavy and sometimes unpredictable hand of the state in our lives. Not just the usual criminal code and fraud statutes, but how large our exit fees may be, no matter for what reason we or our partner may want out.

I do think that once someone is in this position, one usually benefits by being very careful. I know more than one couple who manage to stay out of one another's way, let sleeping dogs lie, and do not interest themselves in possible extramarital excursions. Discretion can be greatly prized in these situations. Certainly not perfect, but neither is much of life.

Ha

Last edited:
HaHaHa...this thread has brought out the misogynists among us..that's sad..but NOT funny..enjoy yourselves boys...
If not wanting to have to get "permission" to leave a soul sucking job when you are well past being financially independent makes one a misogynist, I are one.

While I had a terrible 1st marriage/divorce, which as one commercial said is "often times a decision made by one person, and the other has no say". I wouldn't jump to the conclusion a lot of people have here. Although, I think a lot of people are just having fun with the thread, I won't show this one to my DW. :D

If not wanting to have to get "permission" to leave a soul sucking job when you are well past being financially independent makes one a misogynist, I are one.

Communication with a spouse about shared goals is hardly asking for permission ....change can be difficult for both parties and we often bring money hangups from our childhood into our adult lives...one person's security could be another person's idea of uncertainty...that doesn't make her the monster you gentleman seem to imply she is.

I've read the OPs post. I don't see anywhere where he says divorce is an option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom