Join Early Retirement Today

working in retirement
Old 05-06-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

working in retirement

what are some of the jobs retirees are getting into. I am 56 took a deal but was now way ready to retire, at least full time. As many I am thinkng of real estate sales or insurance. seeing how much insurance topics appear it might be a better bet. Also in the running is the possability of financial adviseor. Any comments?

Runnerr Bob
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: working in retirement
Old 05-06-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not a retired person but I can tell you about my friend's Dad who RE at 47. He took some time off after he sold his business and then moved into real estate and auctions. I believe it suits his personality (he is one of those weird people person types) and enjoys doing it part-time. He can work a few auctions or sell a few houses and that is all the work does in a year (travels the rest of the time).

Financial advising is not as good as it seems. Everyone assumes it is all about working with numbers and offering advice. You will have to sell sell sell and you will get slapped with quotas in terms of how much money you are expected to bring in for the firm. Financial advising is a sales position. I don't like the industry. Too much on the line to have incompetent people managing money and some planners would rather pad to their bank accounts than really help clients. You will have to get licenses, you will get calls from paranoid clients and you will have more work than most people would like to have in retirement. My 2 cents worth.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerr
what are some of the jobs retirees are getting into.* I am 56 took a deal but was now way ready to retire, at least full time. As many I am thinkng of real estate sales or insurance.* seeing how much insurance topics appear it might be a better bet.* Also in the running is the possability of financial adviseor.* Any comments?

Runnerr Bob
Financial advisor? * *If you enjoy selling, I suppose real estate or
insurance might work. *You need to be licensed of course. *Usually
when I told someone I was doing some work in real estate, they
assumed I was selling. *I used to have a license but never sold,
just invested. *Would be still, except for reasons I have already covered
here.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I am not a retired person but I can tell you about my friend's Dad who RE at 47.* He took some time off after he sold his business and then moved into real estate and auctions.* I believe it suits his personality (he is one of those weird people person types) and enjoys doing it part-time.* He can work a few auctions or sell a few houses and that is all the work does in a year (travels the rest of the time).

Real estate and auctions...........sigh! My version of PT working
nirvana. If I was 10 years younger I would do it. If I was 10
years younger I would do a lot of things.

JG
Old 05-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #5

Also keep in mind real estate does not require as much time & money to get licensed. Two weeks and whamo!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank s to all of you and yes I always pictured myself selling realeastate so I think that is the direction I will go.* Still have some down time but as much as I enjoy talking to people and get a good feeling out of a win win situation I believe real esatate is foe me.* I realize there are many realators and the competion is tough but if I can come up with a nitch it will make it more profitable and enjoyable for all. I have alwasy been told I should go intop sales so now is the time.* Thanks again and if anyone out thee has a nitch or advise on selling realestate please let me now.* One more thing is there a spell check available on the postings?* thanks again,* Runnerr Bob[
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #7

I'll second the part about staying away from giving financial advice. I work for an advisory practice. I am a CFA and CPA, but most of the people in this business can't add 1+1.

Whoever said it's about selling is correct. Thankfully I'm not on the sales side, but I see what goes on here. The company I work for deals with people who have $5.0Mil+, so our practices are a bit better. I can only imagine what goes on for people without serious $$$, the get totally screwed.

You would have to search far and wide to find a business that makes RealEstate look better by comparison, but this is one of them.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #8

Saluki -

Exactly!! The problem is most average Joe's get screwed and it is too difficult to distinguish the good ones and bad ones. I had quite a few interviews in that area when I got out of school (most probably not so good) and a lot of the people reminded of car salesman. CFA/CPA are tough to get...hats off
Old 05-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #9

Yeah CFP/CPA is a powerful combination. A good friend is a
CPA/Attorney. He neither practices law nor does any accounting,
but is quite successful. Interesting case. He is my age and all
the while I have been cutting back, he has been biting off more.

JG
Old 05-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I am not a retired person but I can tell you about my friend's Dad who RE at 47.* He took some time off after he sold his business and then moved into real estate and auctions.*
Wildcat, could you tell a little more about the auction part? That seems interesting to me, but it appears from my casual observation that a few auctioneers do almost all the business in an area, and are marketing all the time. How could this become a part-time gig?

Mikey
Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can get up to $20 an hour being a life model for painting and drawing classes- which are getting very popular. It can be cold, though. A one time experience for me, unless I were almost down to selling my plasma.

mikey