Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RE: the bank should 'bend over backwards'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Why should they? Because I am an excellent customer of their's (I have a great credit rating, pay my bills on time, etc) that they could lose to another bank that is willing to treat me better. It's the beauty of competition.
Yes, but it seems you are finding the competition isn't interested in offering a better rate on that size loan w/o significant fees. So free markets rules say your bank does not need to 'bend over backwards' if the competition isn't.

Quote:
I did make a deal, and I have stuck to it. That deal was for a 30 yr fixed rate loan at 6% with no penalty for early termination. How am I not sticking to it by trying to negotiate a better deal? THey did say early termination was okay in the original contract. Its no different then looking for a job offer, then going back to your current employer and asking them to beat it.
Agreed - my 'you make a deal, you stick to it' comment was in reference to those Australian style loans. You are sticking to your deal, because your deal included the option to pre-pay. I'm just having trouble following your idea that the bank should be bending over backwards to offer you a lower rate.

If you find a place willing to give you a good deal, you could always take that to your bank and see if they can better it. At that point, your good history may have enough value for them to do something to keep you. They are probably counting on you having trouble getting a re-fi for $49K, and/or $49K is just too small of an amount for them to spend any time negotiating or to even be on their radar screen.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
...I would pay off the mortgage personally.
Unless you could get somebody else to pay if off for you ..

(Sorry, the made me do it)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Based on what you've posted, I think you can fund your IRAs from taxable savings, if need be. I'd keep the loan at least until you sort out your health issues. In the meantime, pay a little extra each month if you can.
segfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Another poster approached it how I would ... how secure are your jobs?
If you feel that they are pretty secure, I would just go ahead and pay off the mortgage.
If you did lose your jobs, that would be one less payment you would need to find a way to cover, and less risk of being evicted and having to move out after you only owed $49K on the house.

For such a small loan, you could possibly find some "hard money" loans as long as there are no other liens on the house.
A private party would just pay off your mortgage and then become 1st TD with your house as collateral for your repayment.
Maybe you can find someone who would do it for 3-4%/year as a source of guaranteed return since the house is worth a lot more than $49K (im assuming)
Fantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
And now you know the rest of the story...
Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And now you know the rest of the story...

We haven't actually done it yet. But, we will be paying of the mortgage. Decided our emergency stash would still remain comfortably large, while the improved cashflow would give us some breathing room every month. Most of that money will be used to increase our annual investing rate.

Gonna feel good to be debt free.