Join Early Retirement Today

A Posting Tip
Old 07-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

A Posting Tip

Hey, gang: If you want to share an interesting link with the group, it's helpful to include a short text description so that other users can quickly decide if they'd like to bother pursuing it. Especially for those who read many posts a day, it can be a real time-saver.

So instead of this:

Thought this was amazing:
blahblahblah.com

Consider this:

Interesting link by Kawasaki discussing why annuities are best for 99.9% of retirees: blahblahblah.com

Feel free to add other posting tips to this thread.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you show us how to do that?

I know it has something to do with some [code ' text....' = url] , but I forget the exact syntax....

The software seems to hide all that stuff from us, even if I quote yo.

TIA - ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Just select the text you wish to turn into a link, then click the little icon which resembles a globe-on-chain. Enter the desired URL in the resulting dialog box, and voila.

I did this to the word "link" above and aimed it at google.com, for example.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Good tip Rich. I just saw another "this was funny" link. A couple of words of explanation and we could decide whether to click or move on.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Just select the text you wish to turn into a link, then click the little icon which resembles a globe-on-chain. Enter the desired URL in the resulting dialog box, and voila.

I did this to the word "link" above and aimed it at google.com, for example.
And after you do that it's a good idea to do a "preview post" to check if the link actually works, as it appears you have

"http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/google.com" instead of "http://google.com"

in the URL box, which directs you to the early-retirement forum home page instead of google.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Combo tip: Google 'search this site', with the text for link tip from R_I_T
Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Combo tip: Google 'search this site', with the text for link tip from R_I_T

OK thanks - like this?

text for link to Google search of RE forum

instead of (just pasting the URL):

annuity site:www.early-retirement.org - Google Search

the forum software automatically substitutes the window title for the actual URL, which would be this (I sub'd (*** for www. to keep the software from automatically changing it back, even though I clicked the 'break links thingee?):

***google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=annuity%20site:***early-retirement.org

I used 'annuity' in this one, but you can sub anything you wish, and use all the power of google search constructs ( minus to exclude, -mortgage; OR to do either/or; quotes to search a phrase, like "pay off the mortgage"; etc ).

-ERD50

PS: Results 1 - 10 of about 1,400 from www.early-retirement.org for annuity. (0.09 seconds)
Old 07-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
And after you do that it's a good idea to do a "preview post" to check if the link actually works.
Oops. Fixed. But good point - if you don't select the type of link (http:, ftp:, htps: etc. the forum software defaults to an inappropriate type URL.

So preview before saving.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Hey, gang: If you want to share an interesting link with the group, it's helpful to include a short text description so that other users can quickly decide if they'd like to bother pursuing it. Especially for those who read many posts a day, it can be a real time-saver.
Posters who put up more than one or two threads of "OMG you won't believe this LOL just too much!!!!" quickly rise to the top ten of everyone's "Ignore Poster" lists...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Posters who put up more than one or two threads of "OMG you won't believe this LOL just too much!!!!" quickly rise to the top ten of everyone's "Ignore Poster" lists...
amen!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
amen!
JMO, but I prefer the approach R_I_T took. Let's give the poster the benefit of the doubt, provide a little feedback, offer a solution, and maybe they will learn from it.

Sometimes, people will surprise you if you give them half a chance. And if you don't, you'll never know (which you probably won't as I'm probably on your ignore list... )

Thanks Rich_In_Tampa.

-ERD50
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
JMO, but I prefer the approach R_I_T took. Let's give the poster the benefit of the doubt, provide a little feedback, offer a solution, and maybe they will learn from it.

Sometimes, people will surprise you if you give them half a chance. And if you don't, you'll never know (which you probably won't as I'm probably on your ignore list... )

Thanks Rich_In_Tampa.

-ERD50
Or the Mods could add "OMG" to "The Soapbox and Headline News" section of the Forum.....i.e. "The Soapbox, Headline News, and OMG".

-- Just kidding! --

Actually, it takes quite a bit to get on my super-duper, official-type, E-R Forums "Ignore List"......it can be done, but not too easily. However, it's much easier for a few posters to be simply ignored or skipped over by me while reading posts........and usually if a thread title or the first post in a thread includes an "OMG" topic, I just skip it, and go on to other posts.

- - goon - -
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Actually, it takes quite a bit to get on my super-duper, official-type, E-R Forums "Ignore List"......it can be done, but not too easily. However, it's much easier for a few posters to be simply ignored or skipped over by me while reading posts........and usually if a thread title or the first post in a thread includes an "OMG" topic, I just skip it, and go on to other posts.
Imagine life as a moderator-- where your job is to read every post!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Whadda ya want, me to post the vida guerra "i love moderators" picture a second time today so you dont have to get caught clicking on the same thread twice?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Whadda ya want, me to post the vida guerra "i love moderators" picture a second time today so you dont have to get caught clicking on the same thread twice?
Sure, that'd work for me.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I always try to please our moderator overlords...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morale booster.JPG (33.7 KB, 1 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Imagine life as a moderator-- where your job is to read every post!
I thought it was bad enough they have to sweep out the spam. Read every post! Can't they just PM each other and make deals, "help, I can't deal with another CJ post, could you cover for me?"
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I thought it was bad enough they have to sweep out the spam. Read every post! Can't they just PM each other and make deals, "help, I can't deal with another CJ post, could you cover for me?"

We really do spell each other informally. Members are good about reporting stuff that sneaks through, so that helps a lot, too.

What many members may not realize is the extent to which we discuss almost any serious moderator "action" before we implement it. I can't remember a non-trivial action that wasn't discussed and agreed to by a consensus of the mods.

And, mods have no ignore button.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

To be fair, we cant ignore you either
Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
To be fair, we cant ignore you either
Yep, life online's a b*&*%.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

What? Did someone say something?