Acronym Glossary

stevenr

Dryer sheet aficionado
Is there a glossary of all the acronyms used in posts on this site? I am figuring out several in context (DW for example), but some are a mystery (OMY). Thanks

Is there a glossary of all the acronyms used in posts on this site? I am figuring out several in context (DW for example), but some are a mystery (OMY). Thanks

Those are technically not acronyms. Acronyms are when the initials are pronounced as a word (i.e. NASA, SCUBA)

Those are technically not acronyms. Acronyms are when the initials are pronounced as a word (i.e. NASA, SCUBA)

Merriam Webster disagrees.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acronym

The Chicago Manual of Style and the Gregg Manual disagree with merriam-webster.com. Honestly, merriam-webster has gone downhill since they went .com

I never heard of either reference.
I worked 35 years at IBM, which couldn't exist without the TLA (Three Letter Acronym)... to the point that a college technical writing instructor docked points off the resume assignment that landed the IBM job for using too many acronyms of the products I had experience with (MVS, JCL, etc)... none of which are pronouncable.

I never heard of either reference.
I worked 35 years at IBM, which couldn't exist without the TLA (Three Letter Acronym).

And they were pikers compared to DOD. We had "embedded" acronyms that could be 6 or 7 letters long, where each letter stood for another separate acronym.

Imho are=adih. Tbh, fubar &2m2h. Giar plz & kiss

Back
Top Bottom