Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should we keep the archives "read only" and start fresh, or pick up where we left off?
Keep archives read only, and start with fresh boards 3 23.08%
Restore the forum to the way it was last week 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Alternate idea - restore boards?
Old 05-01-2005, 05:18 AM   #1
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Alternate idea - restore boards?

One other option is available, thanks to BMJ's efforts.

When we plannd this switch, we thought we would likely have to leave the old messages on the old server as an "archive" of the E-R forum. We figured we would make the old messages "read only" so all the new discussions would begin on the new server.

Thanks to BMJ's work, all the messages have been moved to the new forum.

So there is no longer any technical reason to keep them read-only -- we can just restore the structure we had last week.

So the question is . . . is this a good opportunity to start fresh and move all the old stuff to one side, or should we not try to do that, at least now?

Your thoughts?

Dory36

PS - restoring the old structure will still allow us to merge boards whenever we want, combining the content.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Alternate idea - restore boards?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #2

As long as there is no technical reason, I vote to restore all the messages to the new forum. Some of the threads were not done and it will probably make searching easier.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with C-T There is alot of history there that I often search. Without it history will have to repeat itself.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
PS - restoring the old structure will still allow us to merge boards whenever we want, combining the content.
If that doesn't require much work, it sounds like by far the best option to me.

(I take it you mean restore all the old boards, can continue to post to old threads, and then merge/rename some of the old boards if people want to. So, a "new" board would contain all the posts of two or more of the old boards, and old threads can still be posted to there.)
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday
(I take it you mean restore all the old boards, can continue to post to old threads, and then merge/rename some of the old boards if people want to. So, a "new" board would contain all the posts of two or more of the old boards, and old threads can still be posted to there.)
Yep. That's what I meant.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 05-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds good to me.

rapoole
rapoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is no technical reason to avoid putting the forums back the way they were. I thought you wanted to make the reorg at the same time as the server move to take advantage of the dead time of the server move. But by now everyone should be getting the new site. We might as well put things back. They can always be rearranged later.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
Developer of FIRECalc

Anybody objecting, speak up quick, or I'll do that, while BMJ works his magic on the linked posts.