Annoying ad pop ups on FIRE

zedd

Full time employment: Posting here.
I switched from using my Kindle Fire to a larger tablet computer (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1). I love this new tablet but these ads are killing me. I've enabled the popup blocker to no avail.

I looked at the FIRE app ... uhm no thanks.

Fellow techies, hep me please.

Zedd

Is this android tablet you are talking about?
If I understood correctly, you are browsing regular (non-mobile) website and those ads are driving you mad, right?

If my understanding is right, you may want to try, Install Adblock Plus for Android. This app is barred from Google Play store because Google's main revenue is from ads. You may have to tweak the setting otherwise it may end up blocking the browsing altogether.

Is this android tablet you are talking about?
If I understood correctly, you are browsing regular (non-mobile) website and those ads are driving you mad, right?

If my understanding is right, you may want to try, Install Adblock Plus for Android. This app is barred from Google Play store because Google's main revenue is from ads. You may have to tweak the setting otherwise it may end up blocking the browsing altogether.

Noelm,

That works great! Thank you!

Zedd

Turning off javascript worked for the iphone too, under settings, safari.

I am having the same problem with my Ipad. Is there a solution for Ipad users?

Leave the country. I've been in Europe for the last 6 weeks and the pop-up ads have disappeared meaning that I no longer have to turn javascript on and off as needed. :dance:

I switched from using my Kindle Fire to a larger tablet computer (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1). I love this new tablet but these ads are killing me. I've enabled the popup blocker to no avail.

I looked at the FIRE app ... uhm no thanks.

Fellow techies, hep me please.

Zedd

Bringing back an old topic. For some reason I get a few pop-ups now while on this site. I have a traditional laptop and use Google Chrome. I also use adblocker. The ads are from certain key words underlined in a post and when I run my cursor over it, the ad pops up. Goes away when cursor moves from the underlined area.

This problem started just a couple of weeks ago or so and is not a big deal. Just try to avoid the underlined words. Just wondered what has caused the problem? I run antivirus software and malware, but nothing shows up. I even disabled javascript, but the pop-ups are still there.

Any advice? Even in my post here, "antivirus software" is underlined and there is a stinking pop-up associated with it.

Bringing back an old topic. For some reason I get a few pop-ups now while on this site. I have a traditional laptop and use Google Chrome. I also use adblocker. The ads are from certain key words underlined in a post and when I run my cursor over it, the ad pops up. Goes away when cursor moves from the underlined area.

This problem started just a couple of weeks ago or so and is not a big deal. Just try to avoid the underlined words. Just wondered what has caused the problem? I run antivirus software and malware, but nothing shows up. I even disabled javascript, but the pop-ups are still there.

Any advice? Even in my post here, "antivirus software" is underlined and there is a stinking pop-up associated with it.

I don't see any pop-ups here at all using MSIE on my Dell laptop computer, with Norton running. Norton includes its own firewall plus some kind of ad blocker and I guess that takes care of it. Norton isn't free, though.

Are you logged in when seeing this? If so, you've probably been cookied by some slimy ad company. The simple way to get rid of these tracking cookies is to download malwarebytes (free) and run a scan. It will return a list of these annoying cookies and offer to clean them out for you.

Alternatively, you can go through your cookie list in your browser and find the offending items. Deleting all your cookies will also work, but you'll loose saved logins, etc.

Try malwarebytes ;)

Are you logged in when seeing this? If so, you've probably been cookied by some slimy ad company. The simple way to get rid of these tracking cookies is to download malwarebytes (free) and run a scan. It will return a list of these annoying cookies and offer to clean them out for you.

Try malwarebytes ;)

I run this software but noticed it had been a couple of weeks since running a scan. I updated and did a full scan and it came back with an error free report. Not sure if that meant there were no tracking cookies though. But I see now that the ads are gone so it must have done the job. I ran CC Cleaner too and disabled Javascript, so really not sure what solved the problem. Oh yes, I was logged on when seeing the ads.

Just glad it's gone. Now back to painting. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate to paint?

Dawg, consider installing Ghostery. It's free, works in the background and so easy even I figured out how to use it...

Thanks for the tip. Doesn't slow your system?

I'm wrong. A couple of the words that were underlined are now gone, but I see other ones. Still ads there.

Can you tell who the ads are from? Sometimes there's a tiny little link on the ad to an ad agency with removal instructions...

Back
Top Bottom