Join Early Retirement Today

Another possible new feature
Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another possible new feature

I am finding more threads than I can handle, even with the political forum on ignore.

Sometimes when I log in, I may find 4 or 5 pages of threads alone. I don't want to miss any threads that I may find important to me, but because I may not have the time to look at every thread heading in one sitting, I usually click the "Mark Forums Read" just to clean everything up.

Also by the time I get to page 4 or 5 of the thread headers, there are probably new threads that I don't want to miss, but I'm not going to go back and start over. When I click on "Mark Forums Read" I'm guessing it probably even clears out any of those new threads I want to see that got posted in the interim.

Is there any way we can either:

• Click on a little box next to each thread to mark it as read, or at the very least
  • Have a feature to "Mark All Threads On This Page Read."
It would be nice to have both of those features so we can do either or, but I don't want to push my luck.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I am finding more threads than I can handle, even with the political forum on ignore.

Sometimes when I log in, I may find 4 or 5 pages of threads alone. I don't want to miss any threads that I may find important to me, but because I may not have the time to look at every thread heading in one sitting, I usually click the "Mark Forums Read" just to clean everything up.

Also by the time I get to page 4 or 5 of the thread headers, there are probably new threads that I don't want to miss, but I'm not going to go back and start over. When I click on "Mark Forums Read" I'm guessing it probably even clears out any of those new threads I want to see that got posted in the interim.

Is there any way we can either:

• Click on a little box next to each thread to mark it as read, or at the very least
It would be nice to have both of those features so we can do either or, but I don't want to push my luck.
Both sound good.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Any thread you click on, whether you read any of it or not, is automatically noted as "read" by the software when you click on it. It's not "unread" again until someone (besides you) posts to it. You can verify this by bringing up "New Posts", clicking on a thread, bringing up "New Posts" again, and seeing that the clicked thread is off the "New Posts" list. The software takes care of it automatically so there's no need to mark it read.

When I click on "New Posts" and get 100+ threads, I'll slog through the pages. At the end of it I'll click "New Posts" again and see that four or five threads have updated in the time it took me to go through the others. I keep clicking "New Posts" until all the threads on the first page (the newest ones) are ones that I don't care about. At that point I mark them all read.

You may already be doing it, but I'm set up to ignore threads started by posters on my "Ignore Poster" list. I miss some real zingers from people whose posts I normally enjoy reading, but it's not worth the effort of paying attention to the ignored poster.

The best fix for this traffic problem would be to stop driving crowds of people here from every Google search containing the words "early" or "retirement"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Any thread you click on, whether you read any of it or not, is automatically noted as "read" by the software when you click on it. It's not "unread" again until someone (besides you) posts to it. You can verify this by bringing up "New Posts", clicking on a thread, bringing up "New Posts" again, and seeing that the clicked thread is off the "New Posts" list. The software takes care of it automatically so there's no need to mark it read.
I know that. My goal is to avoid having to click on the thread to open it in the first place just to have the software know it was read. It would be nice to have a little checkbox next to each thread to mark it as if it were opened and read so next time I click on "New Posts" that thread won't come up (unless someone else enters a new post to that thread.)

Quote:
When I click on "New Posts" and get 100+ threads, I'll slog through the pages. At the end of it I'll click "New Posts" again and see that four or five threads have updated in the time it took me to go through the others. I keep clicking "New Posts" until all the threads on the first page (the newest ones) are ones that I don't care about. At that point I mark them all read.
And you consider that efficient? Wouldn't it be easier to have the software do what I said in my original thread?

Quote:
You may already be doing it, but I'm set up to ignore threads started by posters on my "Ignore Poster" list. I miss some real zingers from people whose posts I normally enjoy reading, but it's not worth the effort of paying attention to the ignored poster.
I am already doing that. I was the first person on this forum to ask for those features and I'm the one who pushed Andy the hardest to implement them. Without those features, this forum would have been impossible to navigate, at least for me. Having the software do what I asked above will make things even more efficient here.

Without some support from other forum members, it probably won't happen though. I'll be beating up Andy by myself to get these features put on like I did for the "ignore" feature.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recommend using an RSS reader like bloglines.com. It shows the first post of all new threads - not just the topic name but the text. If you are interested in pursuing a topic click on the thread and iy opens in a new tab/window. You can skim through dozens of threads quickly skimming the text to see if it is worth jumping in. The next time you return, Bloglines only shows new threads,
Old 10-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know that.
And you consider that efficient? Wouldn't it be easier to have the software do what I said in my original thread?
I am already doing that.
Sorry I wire-brushed that nerve bundle.
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Quote:
Without some support from other forum members, it probably won't happen though. I'll be beating up Andy by myself to get these features put on like I did for the "ignore" feature.
Gosh, I can't imagine why that wellhead's spigot of helpful support hasn't started flowing yet. Just keep pumping offering the same helpful feedback and I'm sure it'll get going any minute now.

Maybe everyone's holding back in the hope that you'll volunteer for moderator, and then you'll really be able to take care of business...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote