Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any thoughts about making this site more mobile friendly?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

As the title says, have you guys thought about making this site more mobile friendly? I'm currently deployed with the military and haven't had much access to a computer with internet, so I've been relying on my cell phone.

It's so bad that I pretty much never post here or read here if I'm not on my PC. My biggest gripe is that when I go to my User CP, and I can't click to see the last unread post on my cell phone. There is simply no button for this. This is an unbelievably inconvenient issue, especially on fairly active threads, as I have to click on the thread and read through to find the last post I read, which is very easy to lose track of, especially if I have multiple active threads I'm participating in, and if I get a couple of pages behind, it's even worse.

Other more minor gripes with the mobile version
-can't thank a post
-can't multiquote
-to get to the user CP, I have to click on the menu and then a drop down comes down, which is an extra step, but more importantly, it's very buggy for me. Sometimes the drop down won't appear and I have to reload the page, or close out the tab and open up a new one.

This is all I can think of right now, but I know I had a couple of other things that were pretty minor. If anyone else has anything, please add.

Thanks for listening, and hopefully you'll be able to make these improvements.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

There is an early retirement app for the iphone (and I imagine for android)..
which is great for reading - I will have to try posting from it
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
There is an early retirement app for the iphone (and I imagine for android)..
which is great for reading - I will have to try posting from it
I had no idea this app existed. Thanks for posting this.

I just downloaded it and played around with it... and yikes! I do not like it. At all. Maybe I'm missing it, but there is no user cp button, which means no list of subscribed threads. I mean, there is a list of subscribed threads, but it's just a list of the last posts in the threads I'm subscribed to, rather than a list, but at least I can get to the last unread post...

I guess this is a little better, but it would still be nice to have a good mobile browser version, as I prefer a browser for forums over individual apps.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree. Wish the app had the features you describe. Glad you’re asking. Never know what might be possible unless it’s asked.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

I browse from my phone all the time. When I’m logged it it automatically takes me to the last unread post, but I can still see the button to click to “view first unread”. It’s right above the thread title in the green banner section on the left. Do you not have that?

There are buttons to thank or multiquote at the bottom of each post for me, though I’ve never found the multiquote easy from a phone.

I’m using safari on an iPhone. Maybe that makes a difference?
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I agree. Wish the app had the features you describe. Glad you’re asking. Never know what might be possible unless it’s asked.
What app are you referring to? Tapatalk?
Robocp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #7

i read the forums from my iphone 7 and ipad mini 4 all using the safari browser all the time.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:02 AM   #8
Administrator

I’ve tried both tapatalk and the ER app on my iPhone and prefer using Chrome browser on my iPhone.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:20 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree that there could be some improvements on the mobile app like better synchronization of presentation of threads with the browser version.

But I use the app for > 95% of the time I spend on the site (reading and posting) and I think it does a good job especially given the limited screen real estate on smaller devices like the iPod Touch and earlier iPhones.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocp4 View Post
What app are you referring to? Tapatalk?

The iPhone and iPad ER app. Don’t think it’s Tapatalk, although I’m unfamiliar with what that is.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #11

Polls do not work in the app. That is the only major drawback I have found.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Polls do not work in the app. That is the only major drawback I have found.
+1

If I use the web version there's more content available(Thanks) but the most notable thing is polls.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the iPhone app to browse pretty frequently. It previously allowed you to click on a user and see their stats, including threads they've replied to or started and previous comment, which I think is very useful. That disappeared a few years ago, so it would be nice if it were brought back.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #14

I'm using the Android app- it does let me see subscribed threads- I tap on the dialogue bubbles at the top, and subscribed threads is to the right below it. I like the app
Old 10-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I'm using the Android app- it does let me see subscribed threads- I tap on the dialogue bubbles at the top, and subscribed threads is to the right below it. I like the app

If I click on your user name, then click on the bubbles/dots at the top right, my only options are to ignore/block you or cancel.

I like the app too; this is really my only complaint.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #16

Here is what mine looks like. I tap on the dialogue box I circled then subscribed threads is next to the arrowScreenshot_20191015-155821.jpeg
Old 10-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #17
Administrator

There is a branded app for ER.org that is similar to tapatalk. As noted by several folks there are some native site functions that are not available.. it's intentionally "lite"

Another option is to navigate to the site using a regular browser and a mobile view should appear if you are using a small screen. Most site functions are available but may be buried under "hamburger" menus.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There is a branded app for ER.org that is similar to tapatalk. As noted by several folks there are some native site functions that are not available.. it's intentionally "lite"

Another option is to navigate to the site using a regular browser and a mobile view should appear if you are using a small screen. Most site functions are available but may be buried under "hamburger" menus.

The branded app is what I use all the time for viewing. But as you say it’s very lite. Things like polls, any user CP functions, and even quick thanks are not available. Wish it was less ‘lite’. Maybe someday
Old 10-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #19

I use the iPhone ER.org app 95% of the time. I learned from another user that in order to take part in a poll you must click the menu dots in the upper right corner and select web view. After you vote you can return to the app.

If I want to reply in multi-quote I do have to go to the computer. Can’t do it on the small screen.

One of the things I’d like to see is the ability to mark an entire sub forum as read by swiping from the list. Currently I have to go into the sub forum and then click from the menu at the top. This functionality is available on one of the sister apps (Airforums) so it seems like we should be able to use it too.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

I use an Android phone using Chrome as my browser, and that's where my issues from my OP are from. Whether I keep it on mobile or click on full site, there is no real difference in functionality.

I regularly post on about a half dozen different forums, and over a dozen in total from time to time. This forum is by far the worst on mobile. Like not even close. It could definitely use an upgrade.