Join Early Retirement Today

Any way to implement notification for responses to your posts?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any way to implement notification for responses to your posts?

Hi. Is there any way to implement a feature where you would be notified when someone replies to your post? You know, just a little pop-up notification somewhere that says "so-and-so replied to your post."

[edit: To clarify, I'm referring to times when people Quote your post, not just use Quick Reply.]

That would facilitate discussion, because it would encourage a back-and-forth dialog. It is easy to miss other people's replies to your post -- at least I find that to be the case. I have to make sure to check back with threads where I have made a post, then find my original post and see if there was any follow up. I often don't feel like doing that, so I'm sure I miss some people's replies.

It's also a nice encouragement to engage, a sort of reinforcer. Most forums I visit have this feature. It's usually the first thing I notice when I check in -- did anyone reply to my posts? Is there anything I need to respond to?

Anyhow, if that feature could somehow be implemented, I think it would improve the forum and facilitate discussion. Thanks for considering.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 06:58 AM   #2

In User CP, under Edit Options, you can edit the Default Subscription Mode to receive emails when there are updates on threads you've posted in, but not filtered to "only" your posts being replied to (I think, i've not used it as I don't want more emails!)

Have you tried this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forum notice.jpg (49.5 KB, 24 views)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
In User CP, under Edit Options, you can edit the Default Subscription Mode to receive emails when there are updates on threads you've posted in, but not filtered to "only" your posts being replied to (I think, i've not used it as I don't want more emails!)

Have you tried this?
Thanks for the reply, but that's not really what I'm talking about. That's a notification when anyone posts anything to the thread. Since people are constantly doing that, I'd be inundated with notifications. So, like you, I wouldn't want that option "on." I'd be flooded with emails.

I'm talking about a something much more specific -- a notification when someone replies to your post. I think that would make conversations a little easier, at least for those of us who don't check in repeatedly and read everything. It's easy to miss things.

Plus, it feels good when someone replies to your posts (well, at least if they're friendly). So it's nice to be notified when that happens. I think the heart of any forum is conversation between members, and a notification would help facilitate that.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Yes I understand, but also I don't think replies are specific to posts. I mean, 99% of the time I use the "quick reply" function, and there's no way to really @ you, it's @ the thread. It's a bigger function change to both enable targeted replies to individuals first, then parse those for notifications.

For example, right now technically I'm replying to the thread, though obviously I mean to you.

But someone who knows the code might have a better idea. I just thought I'd pass along the feature that is already there in case you hadn't see that.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #5

I also think this would be a handy feature, but I'd probably end up posting more and reading less (which I think is not good for the world). What I do is Search > View all your posts, then open each in a separate tab (one per thread, of course). Then scroll to the top and click "view first unread". Then I read down to the end. Obviously this doesn't catch the quotes on old threads that I've posted in, because I only go open the last day or so when opening threads, but I think the expectations of the quoter is lower when quoting something old.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes I understand, but also I don't think replies are specific to posts. I mean, 99% of the time I use the "quick reply" function, and there's no way to really @ you, it's @ the thread. It's a bigger function change to both enable targeted replies to individuals first, then parse those for notifications.

For example, right now technically I'm replying to the thread, though obviously I mean to you.

But someone who knows the code might have a better idea. I just thought I'd pass along the feature that is already there in case you hadn't see that.
If you use the Quick button on the post you're replying to, then the software automatically threads the reply. I think if you quote someone, that also works. I'm trying it with this one. (Edit: yes, it threaded as a reply to Aerides.) You have to change your Thread Display Mode to Threaded or Hybrid on the User CP Options page to see the thread tree.

If you just start typing in the reply box without quoting anyone or using the Quick button on their message, then that's the same as replying to the original post.

I don't think vBulletin has an option for sending emails only to the poster above you in the thread. It didn't used to, but I haven't worked with it in years. (Although, this forum is being run on a 5 year old beta version, so my knowledge is actually not that far out of date as it relates to this site.) Also, with a feature like email notification, as threads get longer, it gets difficult to decide who to notify. I'm replying to Aerides here, but she replied to ER Eddie, so should he be notified of this message even though it's nested two levels deep?
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:

Oh, sorry, my use of terms may have confused things. I should clarify. I said "responds to your post" but I was referring to times when someone quotes your post, not just responds to your ideas using Quick Reply. If they don't quote you, there is no way for the forum software to tell that the response was directed towards you. However, if you quote someone's post, then some forum software can notify you of that.

So, I'm not talking about times when someone just replies using Quick Reply, without quoting you. I'm referring specifically to times when someone quotes your post.

On the other forums I visit and also Youtube, it comes in the form of a notification on the forum page, rather than via an email. I appreciate it, because it directs me immediately to what is most important to me. It's always the first place I look. However, it may be that this forum software just doesn't have that capability.

Quote:
I just thought I'd pass along the feature that is already there in case you hadn't see that.
I gotcha. I appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
However, it may be that this forum software just doesn't have that capability.

^ this.

As noted earlier we can send you a notification when there is a response on the thread but not specifically a response quoting your post - the software can't make this distinction.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
^ this.

As noted earlier we can send you a notification when there is a response on the thread but not specifically a response quoting your post - the software can't make this distinction.
That's what I figured. Well, may I suggest it be put on the wishlist for the next forum software upgrade? It's a nice feature. It facilitates back-and-forth conversations. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In google search box at top of page, you can do this:
- search for "Originally Posted by target2019"
- click on Tools button
- select a date range
- select Sort by date

This can be automated, I'm sure. Maybe a bookmark is possible.
Come to think of it, there is probably a way to get google to notify you of a new result.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
In google search box at top of page, you can do this:
- search for "Originally Posted by target2019"
- click on Tools button
- select a date range
- select Sort by date

This can be automated, I'm sure. Maybe a bookmark is possible.
Come to think of it, there is probably a way to get google to notify you of a new result.
Thank you, but unless I'm missing something, that just brings up a list of my posts -- which is fine, but what I'm asking about is a notification when someone quotes/replies to my posts. I understand that I can call up my previous posts, and then I can read through all the remaining posts in that thread and look for any responses to my post. That's the "manual" way, so to speak.

But some sites have a little notification or alert whenever someone quotes/replies to your post. It will say "So-and-so quoted your post in X thread," and it provides a link to that person's reply. Click the link and it takes you right to the person's response in that thread.

It's very convenient, especially for those of us who don't necessarily have time to read all the posts in all the threads we've posted in. It's also reinforcing, because it's always nice to have someone respond to what you've said (well, most of the time...).

Anyhow, it's just a suggestion for a feature to consider in the future, if the software upgrade allows it. It works nicely, because both people in the conversation get immediate notifications, and so it promotes back-and-forth interchanges, and you don't miss it when people are talking to you.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
^ this.

I'm not sure what button or box I checked along the way, but I DO get notification when someone quotes my comment on this forum. "so-and-so has quoted your reply" (or something like that). I go in and sure enough, someone has quoted me.

Now, I only see this on my tablet, not my phone or laptop. It comes up in my general notifications that tell me that I have email, a new Tweet or a bank notification etc. I'm not sure how or why.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm not sure what button or box I checked along the way, but I DO get notification when someone quotes my comment on this forum. "so-and-so has quoted your reply" (or something like that). I go in and sure enough, someone has quoted me.

Now, I only see this on my tablet, not my phone or laptop. It comes up in my general notifications that tell me that I have email, a new Tweet or a bank notification etc. I'm not sure how or why.
I get email notification too to a thread which I have responded to, but I receive the notification whether the response is to my post or just any post.

Are you sure the notification is just for YOUR posts?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I get email notification too to a thread which I have responded to, but I receive the notification whether the response is to my post or just any post.

Are you sure the notification is just for YOUR posts?
Yes. As a matter of fact, here is notification of YOUR quoting ME to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181214_090709.jpg (485.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #15

That's a push notification from the Early-Retirement app. If you open the app and go to Settings, there's a section for push notifications where you can be notified when someone "Quoted My Post" or someone "Mentioned Me".

If I write @marko does this show up as a mention?
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you, but unless I'm missing something, that just brings up a list of my posts -- which is fine, but what I'm asking about is a notification when someone quotes/replies to my posts. I understand that I can call up my previous posts, and then I can read through all the remaining posts in that thread and look for any responses to my post. That's the "manual" way, so to speak.

But some sites have a little notification or alert whenever someone quotes/replies to your post. It will say "So-and-so quoted your post in X thread," and it provides a link to that person's reply. Click the link and it takes you right to the person's response in that thread.

It's very convenient, especially for those of us who don't necessarily have time to read all the posts in all the threads we've posted in. It's also reinforcing, because it's always nice to have someone respond to what you've said (well, most of the time...).

Anyhow, it's just a suggestion for a feature to consider in the future, if the software upgrade allows it. It works nicely, because both people in the conversation get immediate notifications, and so it promotes back-and-forth interchanges, and you don't miss it when people are talking to you.
I understand your OP and all the follow-up.
What I pointed you to was a way to find your quoted posts. It is not your posts, although you may find them on the page. It is specifically looking for your quoted posts that others have responded to. If you substitute your name for mine in the search, and use quotes around the search as I have, you will find what your looking for.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #17

Quote:
What I pointed you to was a way to find your quoted posts. It is not your posts, although you may find them on the page. It is specifically looking for your quoted posts that others have responded to. If you substitute your name for mine in the search, and use quotes around the search as I have, you will find what your looking for.
Oh, I see. Yes, the first time, I didn't include the quote marks. Apparently that makes a difference. It did bring up links to pages on which there were quotes of my posts, somewhere on the page.

Thanks, that's a half-decent workaround. It lacks the full advantage of the notification system, because in that case, everyone gets notified, so a back-and-forth is more likely (whereas here, it's only one person, if he/she goes to the trouble of searching like that). But it's better than nothing, so thanks, appreciate the suggestion.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I see. Yes, the first time, I didn't include the quote marks. Apparently that makes a difference. It did bring up links to pages on which there were quotes of my posts, somewhere on the page.

Thanks, that's a half-decent workaround. It lacks the full advantage of the notification system, because in that case, everyone gets notified, so a back-and-forth is more likely (whereas here, it's only one person, if he/she goes to the trouble of searching like that). But it's better than nothing, so thanks, appreciate the suggestion.
You could use google.com/alerts, and create a notification. Might have to experiment to find the best settings.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Another way to answer your question is to explain how I handle this.

When a topic interests me, I try to respond with something meaningful. Then the forum creates a subscription to the thread. I don't get email notifications, as that is very messy and time-consuming.

When I do open the forum, I look for the threads with the icon which shows I've subscribed. Then click on the new post icon to the left of thread title.

At any given time, I may have 0-12 subscribed threads. When the landscape gets too busy, I unsubscribe from the least interesting topics, and try for a handful of subscribed topics. I check those first when I coe to E-R.

I realize alerts as you describe them would be useful.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
That's a push notification from the Early-Retirement app. If you open the app and go to Settings, there's a section for push notifications where you can be notified when someone "Quoted My Post" or someone "Mentioned Me".
Isn't this what the OP is asking for?