Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"back" button not working properly?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

"back" button not working properly?

In the last few days I've noticed when I hit the "back" button on my IE it doesn't work the first time. It makes the clicking sound like it is going back, but the page doesn't change. When I hit it a second time, it does go back.

This seems to only be happenning on the ER site, so I wanted to report it in case it has something to do with forum settings.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This sounds more like an pop-up blocker issue. Do you a toolbar from Google, Yahoo, or the like, for example. Or some other "protection" scheme is going on.

The "click" you hear sounds like a message alert -- apparently it is too fleeting to catch though. (You don't find that pesky yellow bar across the top of the page when this happens, do you?)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This sounds more like an pop-up blocker issue. Do you a toolbar from Google, Yahoo, or the like, for example. Or some other "protection" scheme is going on.

The "click" you hear sounds like a message alert -- apparently it is too fleeting to catch though. (You don't find that pesky yellow bar across the top of the page when this happens, do you?)
No, no yellow bar telling me a pop-up has been blocked.

Also, I've noticed the ads on the top of forum aren't displaying properly (not that I care, but it seems like this occured at the same time). In the ad's place it says: "the web page cannot be found".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (41.8 KB, 4 views)

Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

Also, I've noticed the ads on the top of forum aren't displaying properly (not that I care, but it seems like this occured at the same time). In the ad's place it says: "the web page cannot be found".
I think that is related. At one time, I was getting so annoyed by ads on web sites that I added some entries in my local hosts file to resolve some of the domain names to my local address, so it would quickly show them as "not found". The side effect was having to click "Back" twice. Mildly annoying but not too bad.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, no yellow bar telling me a pop-up has been blocked.

Yes, mine is different:

Screen Top.JPG

At the bottom of the page is (in my case) an Eye with a red No! icon. When I double-click on it I get this report:

Privacy Report.JPG

Also at the bottom is a drop down menu to the right of "Protected Mod: On":

Screen Bottom.JPG

Click on the down arrow. I have mine set to off.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #6

Changing the Protected Mode to Off did not fix the issue.

I noticed that when I first hit the back button, the place where the ad would be ("webpage cannot be found") disappears. The second time I hit the back button I go back to the prior page.

I did some research on google, and it looks like other forums have had this same issue. It has something to do with the ad not loading right, frames, and such - hopefully Andy will take a look at this.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well, that was some fun.

Wait! That doesn't explain why I (or others) don't have the same problem. I still think it is something local.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Well, that was some fun.

Wait! That doesn't explain why I (or others) don't have the same problem. I still think it is something local.

Probably some convoluted software issue between IE and Vista. It all comes back to Vista.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don't have Vista and I am having the same problem. I didn't have this problem before that I recall.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably some convoluted software issue between IE and Vista. It all comes back to Vista.
In my earlier responses I was using Windows 7. I am using a Vista installed machine to answer with this post. I still have no problem with the "Back" function.

I did have a thought though. <Yikes!> Sometimes I have a similar problem when accessing some websites -- hitting the back button produces no (apparent) action. However, when I use the drop-down arrow (next to the Back/forward buttons), I find that there is an "Ad" page listed which only sets up a endless loop. (See image of technique -- I could not quickly find an offending website.) See if the closest back/forward site is what you are expecting.

Back.JPG
Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #11

It is taking me back to that ad page....I knew they were related somehow. Grrr....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled2.jpg (189.3 KB, 5 views)

Old 01-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #12

Andy asked me to test it on v2. Still a problem there:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled3.jpg (178.3 KB, 1 views)

Old 01-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #13

OK, now it is working under v2, just fine. Guess I'll stick with v2. Thanks Ron for your efforts! And thanks Andy for fixing it so quick!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have IE and Win 7, and I noticed this same problem beginning this am.

Ha