Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
+1

Much like paraphrasing, the FIFY function leaves me wondering why the commenting poster didn't simply say what he/she feels in his/her own words instead of twisting/changing/manipulating what the original poster said. Yes, there is something snarky or deceitful about manipulating what another has said to make your point. Better to just directly say what your point is.

Admittedly, a number of the FIFY posts are successfully humorous with no detected intention of being a back-handed dig at the original poster. Some are less successful.
I agree. I would never do a "FIFY" and I recall the first time it was done to one of my posts I had to look up "FIFY" and learn what the heck it meant. I found it a bit snarky even if done in a friendly way. If I disagree with something, I come out and say it. If someone were to do a FIFY, I would prefer the original quote were left intact because otherwise I have to find the original quote which could be many posts back (even on a previous page) to see what the FIFY poster had changed it FROM.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I actually think the use of FIFY and the overstrike even within one's own post (which really slows down my comprehension of what the heck a post is about--am I supposed to read those overstruck sections?) is sort of a fad, although e-r.org may be late to the party as I don't see it used any more anywhere else, and will blow over soon. Who can't remember when LOL was all the rage.

[mod hat]Again, if a post is over the top snarky whether because it's a FIFY or just meanspirited, anyone can report it and the snarkiness will be addressed.[/mod hat]

It's rarely used for snark here, and what is unsuccessful humor to some people is fun to read for others and vice versa (whether it's a FIFY or just someone thinking they are being funny in their writing or what imho is the overuse of emoticons). It's almost always clear to me (not as a mod) when someone else's post has been quoted and FIFYed.

LOL .
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I enjoy the FIFYs. I will miss the humor if they are banned.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

While I don't care for them usually, I wouldn't think they should be banned...should be looked at on a case by case basis if reported in my opinion (which is how it is done now I think)
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
While I don't care for them usually, I wouldn't think they should be banned...should be looked at on a case by case basis if reported in my opinion (which is how it is done now I think)
(mod hat on)
I think that's the intention. If one leaves the original quote in strikeout text the original context is still understood for the most part. Now if one is used in a way that is abusive, or intentionally makes the original author appear to have said something they didn't say, or if someone objects to how their quote was FIFY'd (for lack of a better term), these can always be reported individually and can be reviewed on a case by case basis.
(mod hat off)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
(mod hat on)
I think that's the intention. If one leaves the original quote in strikeout text the original context is still understood for the most part. Now if one is used in a way that is abusive, or intentionally makes the original author appear to have said something they didn't say, or if someone objects to how their quote was FIFY'd (for lack of a better term), these can always be reported individually and can be reviewed on a case by case basis.
(mod hat off)
Sounds reasonable to me Zig. All joking aside, I understand why many folks wouldn't like having their messages messed with. Seems like most are OK with this if it's clear how the message has been "FIFY'd" and it's not done in a mean spirited or offensive manner.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
otherwise I have to find the original quote which could be many posts back
Actually, you can just click on the little blue box with the arrow in it, next to the name of the person being quoted (see above - I just did it with your post), and it will take you directly to the original post. No hunting or searching required.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I had a few of my posts adjusted by fify. They were truly funny and appreciated as good humor.

Life is too short to get wound up by good natured humor.
+10

I think the FIFYs are funny.

The first time I saw "FIFY", I didn't recognize the acronym and thought the "FI" meant something else (not Financially Independent).
I couldn't figure out 2 words for the "FY" part that would go along with my gutter-minded interpretation of "FI".
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I think this thread is a great example of why posters leave discussion boards.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Was my joke really that bad?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Was my My joke was really that bad?!!
FIFY...

At least we can tell that you're joking...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
You need to be more specific, is it the pro FIFY or con FIFY that would result in posters leaving or can we ascribe equal weight to your statement
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I would rather get rid of posts that say nothing but "+1", to be honest. No new information or opinion.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

This video always makes me laugh:

Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I would rather get rid of posts that say nothing but "+1", to be honest. No new information or opinion.

We have enough rules already.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
This video always makes me laugh:

+1
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm not surprised at the range of responses.

However, with a bit of reflection, I think I have a better handle on what triggered me to start this thread. The moderator job often involves subjective judgment calls (and the same for any member flagging a post). So this seemed like a case where the subjectivity could be eliminated completely - as I said,
Quote:
'Quote' means 'quote' - right?
. It just seemed like it would keep things simple to set a rule that the quote box should not be used to mis-quote, parody, paraphrase, or otherwise alter or misrepresent what someone said. Period.

It's not about not having a sense of humor, or being wound too tightly (and to be honest, I think those responses are a bit guilty of 'the pot calling the kettle black'). There are ways to do that without using a literal quote box. Just reserve the quote box for its intended purpose. Communication lapses occur even under the best conditions - misusing a word can't help.

At any rate, maybe this discussion has led people to be more aware that some posters have been offended by having themselves intentionally mis-quoted, and the joke isn't always as obvious as the author may think. So if people put a bit more thought into it, maybe this thread has served its purpose.

Peace - ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
gone traveling

Probably the same can be said of when someone extracts a snipet of what someone said and quotes it and then provides their own spin that fails to take into context the OPs full post or intent. In fact, I would think most would find that far more offensive than a FIFY type post which is generally meant to be humerous. Nevertheless, this is the internet so its always a bit hard to discern what an OP was actually thinking/intending, so misunderstandings are apt to happen, but we have great mods that keep us in line!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1! Much ado about nothing...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm not surprised at the range of responses.

However, with a bit of reflection, I think I have a better handle on what triggered me to start this thread. The moderator job often involves subjective judgment calls (and the same for any member flagging a post). So this seemed like a case where the subjectivity could be eliminated completely - as I said, . It just seemed like it would keep things simple to set a rule that the quote box should not be used to mis-quote, parody, paraphrase, or otherwise alter or misrepresent what someone said. Period.

It's not about not having a sense of humor, or being wound too tightly (and to be honest, I think those responses are a bit guilty of 'the pot calling the kettle black'). There are ways to do that without using a literal quote box. Just reserve the quote box for its intended purpose. Communication lapses occur even under the best conditions - misusing a word can't help.

At any rate, maybe this discussion has led people to be more aware that some posters have been offended by having themselves intentionally mis-quoted, and the joke isn't always as obvious as the author may think. So if people put a bit more thought into it, maybe this thread has served its purpose.

Peace - ERD50