Ban these 'fify' posts?

I think this thread is a great example of why posters leave discussion boards.

You need to be more specific, is it the pro FIFY or con FIFY that would result in posters leaving or can we ascribe equal weight to your statement:LOL:

I would rather get rid of posts that say nothing but "+1", to be honest. No new information or opinion.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm not surprised at the range of responses.

However, with a bit of reflection, I think I have a better handle on what triggered me to start this thread. The moderator job often involves subjective judgment calls (and the same for any member flagging a post). So this seemed like a case where the subjectivity could be eliminated completely - as I said,
'Quote' means 'quote' - right?
. It just seemed like it would keep things simple to set a rule that the quote box should not be used to mis-quote, parody, paraphrase, or otherwise alter or misrepresent what someone said. Period.

It's not about not having a sense of humor, or being wound too tightly (and to be honest, I think those responses are a bit guilty of 'the pot calling the kettle black'). There are ways to do that without using a literal quote box. Just reserve the quote box for its intended purpose. Communication lapses occur even under the best conditions - misusing a word can't help.

At any rate, maybe this discussion has led people to be more aware that some posters have been offended by having themselves intentionally mis-quoted, and the joke isn't always as obvious as the author may think. So if people put a bit more thought into it, maybe this thread has served its purpose.

Peace - ERD50

Probably the same can be said of when someone extracts a snipet of what someone said and quotes it and then provides their own spin that fails to take into context the OPs full post or intent. In fact, I would think most would find that far more offensive than a FIFY type post which is generally meant to be humerous. Nevertheless, this is the internet so its always a bit hard to discern what an OP was actually thinking/intending, so misunderstandings are apt to happen, but we have great mods that keep us in line!

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm not surprised at the range of responses.

However, with a bit of reflection, I think I have a better handle on what triggered me to start this thread. The moderator job often involves subjective judgment calls (and the same for any member flagging a post). So this seemed like a case where the subjectivity could be eliminated completely - as I said, . It just seemed like it would keep things simple to set a rule that the quote box should not be used to mis-quote, parody, paraphrase, or otherwise alter or misrepresent what someone said. Period.

It's not about not having a sense of humor, or being wound too tightly (and to be honest, I think those responses are a bit guilty of 'the pot calling the kettle black'). There are ways to do that without using a literal quote box. Just reserve the quote box for its intended purpose. Communication lapses occur even under the best conditions - misusing a word can't help.

At any rate, maybe this discussion has led people to be more aware that some posters have been offended by having themselves intentionally mis-quoted, and the joke isn't always as obvious as the author may think. So if people put a bit more thought into it, maybe this thread has served its purpose.

Peace - ERD50

........:rolleyes:

lighten up, Francis - YouTube

However, with a bit of reflection, I think I have a better handle on what triggered me to start this thread. The moderator job often involves subjective judgment calls (and the same for any member flagging a post). So this seemed like a case where the subjectivity could be eliminated completely - as I said, . It just seemed like it would keep things simple to set a rule that the quote box should not be used to mis-quote, parody, paraphrase, or otherwise alter or misrepresent what someone said. Period.
Subjectivity is proportional to power. Have you seen many people with a little who don't love having it?

You need to be more specific, is it the pro FIFY or con FIFY that would result in posters leaving or can we ascribe equal weight to your statement:LOL:
Please cast your votes now for the 2012 Early-Retirement.org Curmudgeon Certificate nominees!

Probably the same can be said of when someone extracts a snipet of what someone said and quotes it and then provides their own spin that fails to take into context the OPs full post or intent. In fact, I would think most would find that far more offensive than a FIFY type post which is generally meant to be humerous. Nevertheless, this is the internet so its always a bit hard to discern what an OP was actually thinking/intending, so misunderstandings are apt to happen, but we have great mods that keep us in line!

I would think that ERD50 is probably more correct in his post than this... as he said 'quote' means 'quote' and not a changed quote....

Now, if you quote someone, but it is taken out of context... at least the out of context is still a real quote. I will admit that politicians do it all the time and it does bug me there.... but still it is better than rewriting what they said and saying they said it....

I would think that ERD50 is probably more correct in his post than this... as he said 'quote' means 'quote' and not a changed quote....

Now, if you quote someone, but it is taken out of context... at least the out of context is still a real quote. I will admit that politicians do it all the time and it does bug me there.... but still it is better than rewriting what they said and saying they said it....

Well, there are complete quotes and then there are sound bites of quotes that are selectively chosen to destroy/mislead the overall context and it was the later I was referring to. At least for me, I find that tactic much more annoying than someone that is doing a FIFY to be cute or humorous.

You are certainly entitled to disagree with my viewpoint, but I probably have too much curmudgeon in me to agree with your statement:LOL:

Well, there are complete quotes and then there are sound bites of quotes that are selectively chosen to destroy/mislead the overall context and it was the later I was referring to. At least for me, I find that tactic much more annoying than someone that is doing a FIFY to be cute or humorous.

You are certainly entitled to disagree with my viewpoint, but I probably have too much curmudgeon in me to agree with your statement:LOL:

You made me laugh :greetings10:

I take it in the same manner.

Maybe some folks are just a little too serious :whistle: ?

Really? :dance:

heh heh heh - Bogleheads is my favorite for turgid and ponderous - but useful. Here - 100% useful has it's limits. Some days I'm just in the mood for BACON!!! ;)

With all due respect - I disagree. These "+1" posts indicate that the poster agrees with a previous post, which is per se new information. I like conciseness and "+1" posts.
I would rather get rid of posts that say nothing but "+1", to be honest. No new information or opinion.

Last edited:
I don't always agree with ERD50, but he has a point here.

Peace - ERD50

obgyn65 said:
With all due respect - I disagree. These "+1" posts indicate that the poster agrees with a previous post, which is per se new information. I like conciseness and "+1" posts.

S'ok. I'm not losing any sleep over it. :)

I don't always agree with ERD50, but he has a point here.
Since its inception, this board has been unfailingly unsympathetic ("apathetic"?) to the easily offended...

... who are free to leave here to start their own boards anytime.

I'm trying to imagine how much airtime a thread like this would get on ERE or Bogleheads or MrMoneyMustache.

Back
Top Bottom