Blank Pages and No Response Thread

Unless one of those sites s/w is doing something 'blocking' related rather than load related. Locking a database, locking an i/o channel, sending the OS off on something that locks out the rest of the threads for a period of time, etc.

Grand Banks said:
I'd probably argue that more than 4GB of memory isnt really necessary on a desktop in 98-99% of applications, and probably wont be for 4-5 more years...at least.
"4 GB of memory ought to be enough for anyone."

Where have I heard that before? Uhn-hunh.

Yep, I remember billy saying that about 640k of ram. But we're sort of at an impasse these days. Despite extreme minority opinion to the contrary, most people dont need much more than 256MB of ram even with XP and Office. Even when I'm doing dvd grinding my total commit charge is under 320MB. On average its closer to 280M with a settled commit in the 230M range. And a little bit of paging never hurt anyone.

Even the successor to Longhorn, a full office suite load, IE and a few other things running isnt expected to peak a desktop over 512MB on average.

A lot of SERVERS dont need 4GB. Some do to help offset slow disk I/O by keeping indexes in ram. But I'll bet 80% of the servers in 90% of companies run great in 1-2GB.

We'll need >4GB on the servers. If >4GB becomes a necessity for more than 10-15% of users within the next six years I'll eat every hat I own. Thats a lot of hats.

Grand Banks said:
We'll need >4GB on the servers. If >4GB becomes a necessity for more than 10-15% of users within the next six years I'll eat every hat I own. Thats a lot of hats.

I'm not impressed. We've seen your hats. They're made of pancakes, bacon and pastries.

I had trouble getting on to this site this afternoon. Tried a few times and at first could not get on at all and then I would get on, but run into problems. So far tonight, everything is going fine.

I think that it says something for the site. that people keep trying until they can get on. We need our ER fix!!!!

Thanks, Dreamer

Dreamer said:
I had trouble getting on to this site this afternoon. Tried a few times and at first could not get on at all and then I would get on, but run into problems. So far tonight, everything is going fine.

I haven't checked lately; I've had in mind that I would wait unil the end of the month and then check again. The problem didn't follow a pattern, so I want to wait a few days to make sure we're not just in an unusually long lull. At two days after the supposed fix I noticed that similar symptoms were still appearing but seemed very rare and grouped together which wasn't a characterstic of the issue before. If that pattern continues through the end of the month we may have a new mystery to investigate. (FYI, the problems happened to 3.4% of all forum requests overall before the fix; two days later there were 8 or so in a few dozen thousand forum requests.)

omni550 said:
What I have been experiencing, albeit infrequently, when a new page loads, the font is very large and the "board background" (the blue boxes that hold the content) is missing. This just happened a minute ago. When I hit the 'refresh" key, the newly refreshed page looks normal again.

I forgot about this in the midst of the other problems. Does this still happen? My first impression is that the CSS file isn't loading. If this is still happening let me know and I can look at the logs for that date.

One of my cats shut my computer down and when I tried to get back to this site, it took me 3 tries. I am on AOL and I logged off of AOL 2 times before it would let me back to this site. It kept stating Website not responding. Is this just a problem with AOL? I think it was Cut-Throat that stated he was having the same problem and he had AOL also. If this is the case, I might have to go with someone else, once my free time is up on AOL.

Dreamer

Dreamer, I usually get the same response w/AOL mostly in "busy" times (in the evening) Although it is 8PM now and here I am!

Back
Top Bottom