Can't access forum from home PC anymore

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am having the strangest problem...I can't access www.early-retirement.org at all from my home PC, this is a new problem in the last week. I was able to see the forums once they moved to a new server for a few days, then it just stopped working altogether. I can access it fine from my work PC so I know the problem is on my end. I can resolve the name to 69.93.187.58 but I can't ping that address, nor can I traceroute to it. I tried the ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns but that had no effect. I can get to every other website in the universe and am really puzzled why this seems to be the only one affected. My home internet is on through a RoadRunner cable modem on a wireless router. I haven't changed anything with my setup or installed anything new that would cause a problem. Any ideas on things to check?

Hi soupcxan,

I had a similar thing happen shortly after the changeover. In my case Dory36's server host had interpreted my continuous connections as a hack attempt and blocked my IP.

Try early-retirement.org without the www, but I don't think that's your problem.

Dory36, can you check with your server's host company and see if soupcxan is being blocked like I was? Thanks. If you can, please see if you can find out if this site is logging PHP or MySQL errors.

Yeah, do it without the www. On the old site, if I used www the cookies never worked and I had to log in all the time. Without it the cookies worked. Something weird about the domain names as I could hit the site with three different ones, but only early-retirement.org worked smoothly.

BigMoneyJim said:
Hi soupcxan,

I had a similar thing happen shortly after the changeover. In my case Dory36's server host had interpreted my continuous connections as a hack attempt and blocked my IP.

Try early-retirement.org without the www, but I don't think that's your problem.

Dory36, can you check with your server's host company and see if soupcxan is being blocked like I was? Thanks. If you can, please see if you can find out if this site is logging PHP or MySQL errors.

He's not being blocked from the IP he posted on -- and he has never posted from a different IP since his first post on 10/5/04, so there is no way for me to check the IP he uses from home. And sorry -- no useful global php or sql error logs. The ones that exist don't show anything in the past few monthd-- they are just logging server-wide stuff it seems.

I couldnt get in at all for about 5 minutes just prior to this post. Flushed my DNS queue, ran internet exploder and after a bit I did get in and then from firefox as well.

No problems that I can see on that IP.

I'll forward it to BMJ and see if he has any ideas.

Back
Top Bottom