Change Username

ReWahoo....where do you live.

I'm in CA and we can't even plant yet because the soil isn't warm enough...

South TX. I do "push" them some by growing in containers a few weeks, and bring them inside on cold nights. They are also in a raised bed garden, which speeds heating of the soil.

I almost blew it this year as we had a late freeze last week, three days after I planted them. If you look close you can see the edges of the leaves got nipped a little even though I covered them.

Everybody's selling cheap baby greenhouses around here. OSH and HD are selling "pop up tent" versions of soft plastic and metal bands. Costco has a thin hard plastic modular one. All in the $150-500 range. With a raised bed and a few other goodies, we could be starting seeds in february.

But I know I'll be sick of 'maters by august, so why move that up to june?

Sr. Senor Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
But I know I'll be sick of 'maters by august, so why move that up to june?

We aren't blessed in 'these here parts' with mild enough temps come June for 'maters to "set". So it's best to get going early for a June/July crop, then pull those plants up and start over in August for a fall crop.

Real men don't ever get sick of homegrown 'maters... ;)

REWahoo! said:
Real men don't ever get sick of homegrown 'maters... ;)

Hmmph. Try eating 10 cherry 'maters a day for six months straight, and then see the bush set another couple of hundred little yellow flowers.

I like quiche too, by the way. No damage to my manliness from that or the 'mater derision.

REWahoo! said:
No flowers to speak of, but here's a peek at my tomato garden:
Excellent!

We have a red-vented bulbul who started eating the ripe tomatoes but who has lately begun pecking at the green ones. There's plenty for everyone but I want them ALL. How do you handle the predators? Is that wiring a plant support or an anti-bird device?

Hmmph.  Try eating 10 cherry 'maters a day for six months straight, and then see the bush set another couple of hundred little yellow flowers.
Hey, you're welcome to compost it if you can't handle it. Real men love lycopenes!

Hmmph. Try eating 10 cherry 'maters a day for six months straight, and then see the bush set another couple of hundred little yellow flowers.

I like quiche too, by the way. No damage to my manliness from that or the 'mater derision.

Maybe so...but how can any self-respecting Bunny, senior, cute or otherwise, get tired of em'? Wish the bunnies around here would follow your lead. :-\

Nords said:
How do you handle the predators? Is that wiring a plant support or an anti-bird device?

That's a plant support but the garden is surrounded by a 4' fence made of the same stuff, and so far it has worked pretty well to keep the deer and rabbits out. Birds are not usually a problem, but a couple of years ago they did do some damage before I strung a couple of lines across the top of the garden with some old aluminum pie plates attached. That did the trick.

(Before I get any snide remarks, the pie plates dancing in the wind do not detract from the esthetic ambiance of the grounds surrounding my double-wide. ;))

Dont MAKE me take a photo of the commode. Its still sitting in the side yard gathering rain water and waiting for me to redo the floor in the other bathroom and replace the commode in there. Yes, the outdoor dog is drinking out of it. So far the wife is holding her tongue.

Yes, the outdoor dog is drinking out of it.  So far the wife is holding her tongue.
We really need to identify which subjects are manipulating which objects.

For example, does your dog need your wife's assistance with the dog's tongue muscles, or is that latter sentence claiming that your wife is similarly tempted to imbibe from the same fountain as the dog? And as a healthcare professional, shouldn't she know better on both counts?!?

Please. This thread has run its course. Let it die. Please

Back
Top Bottom