Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Chrome malware alert
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Chrome malware alert

FYI, Chrome blocked me from visiting the following page today. Not sure if this is a known issue on this site but thought I'd report it. Perhaps there is a way to strip out the reported content so Chrome will permit access without the warning.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...s-60258-4.html

azphx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #2

I didn't go there, but Safari also warns about the sports bank site as a malware source.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Administrator

Thanks for the report - we'll check it out.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some otherwise interesting pages have been hijacked in the past, and become malware zombies. I appreciate the alerts, myself.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for fixing the issue so quickly! I'm able to view the page without warning now.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's interesting. Google (not Chrome) has blocked a local sailing site I visit for more than a week warning 'this site may harm your computer,' though Yahoo! breezes right through. And no users are having any problems with the local site? So it appears Google is "mistaken?"

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's interesting. Google (not Chrome) has blocked a local sailing site I visit for more than a week warning 'this site may harm your computer,' though Yahoo! breezes right through. And no users are having any problems with the local site? So it appears Google is "mistaken?"
That is possible, or maybe Yahoo doesn't do malware scans and lets its users go to any links it finds. Anyway, there are steps a site owner can take to get removed from Google's blacklists.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Google is pretty harsh about screening sites for "malware" links.

A couple weeks ago my blog host security contractor (Sitelock) sent me a stern warning e-mail that I'd have to take down their logo from my site if I did not immediately fix my malware problem.

Hunh?

It turned out that each of two websites that I linked to had links to other websites, and those other websites were linked to sites that downloaded malware.

In other words, in over a thousand sites that my blog links to, two of them linked to sites that linked to "bad" sites. And because of the potential danger of two third-degree-removed URLs, my Sitelock service (that I was paying for!) was about to kick me off.

A day later a live Sitelock human placed an actual telephone call to warn me of this all over again, and to say that Google would blacklist my site in a few days if I didn't "act now".

So I edited the links. Now my readers couldn't click through two other sites to download something that might cause problems.

I don't think Google is often mistaken, but they're certainly paranoid.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It depends. You can click through and continue with google. Just because the the others breeze on through doesn't mean there is not a problem. A well written malware will be hard to detect and you won't notice anything until it is to late.

You can use this link, replace example with the site you are trying, and see what google diagnostics says about it,

Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.example.com
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azphx1972 View Post
Thanks for fixing the issue so quickly! I'm able to view the page without warning now.

There were a couple of hotlinked images from another site on that thread. I don't think there was ever really a problem, but we've pulled the links to be safe.