CNBC pop-up

WM

Full time employment: Posting here.
What's the deal with the CNBC ad that keeps showing up at the bottom of my screen? If I close it, the wheel on my mouse will no longer move me up and down the page, and the ad reappears as soon as I go to a new page anyway.

And now I'm really annoyed - I hovered the mouse over the ad for too long and it came up and covered my whole screen with no way to close it or exit. I refreshed the page, and that solved the problem, now I'm back to just having the bottom of my screen covered with the small ad again.

I'm assuming this is a forum thing because it doesn't come up on other websites. Is there any way to get rid of this?

I have not seen it - but then again, so many sites (including this one apparently), have such obnoxious ads, that I've taken the step (like many) to install an Ad Blocker. If the ads were reasonable, and not distracting messes, I would not install one. Those kinds of ads sure are self-defeating, now I see no ads.

-ERD50

I have Adblock Plus, and I'm not seeing anything.

Try installing it, it's free. You can apply a default list of filters, and add your own as you go along.

I have Adblock Plus, and I'm not seeing anything.

Try installing it, it's free. You can apply a default list of filters, and add your own as you go along.

It seems to be doing it on chrome/windows7 even if you have adblock plus.

a big *thumbs down* to whomever is responsible for this.

i'm ok with ads. but pop up ones that block parts of the screen that
you need to get to (repeatedly) is BAD. functioning adblock or no functioning adblock.

Did someone change something? I just came back to check on this and now, no ad. I'm not sure what ad blocker I have. I don't normally have any problems. If it comes back I'll investigate further, otherwise thanks to whoever or whatever made it stop!

I do not have adblocker and I have not seen any cnbc ad.

I have not ever seen it, either on Frank's computer or my own.

We both have Norton installed, so maybe that blocks it. Neither of us have any ad blocker other than what comes with Windows or Norton.

Last edited:
I was seeing the CNBC ad last week and it was pretty annoying. But that only lasted a day or 2 and I haven't seen it since. I did not change anything on my browser to block it.

I have AVAST antivirus and some other kind of pop-up blocker, and just started seeing this obnoxious ad today. I clicked the "X" and it went away.

Amethyst

The past 2 times I came here I see an F in a circle at the bottom of the screen, I use FlashBlock (Firefox add on) - an F is what I get if I click a link for a video. So I run the mouse over the F and it is an ad from CNBC. Why is this annoying thing appearing? I don't want to click on it after reading this thread. I sure would like to see it go away, every page or thread I go to it's there. :mad:

For Chrome/Chromium:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

And I really don't like blocking ads, it was pays for many sites. But if they are going to push me with obnoxious ads, so be it.

OK, I just disable blocking for this domain - I'll see how long that lasts.

-ERD50

Many thanks, ERD50. I am using Chrome and this ad popped up this evening (only on this forum) and has been most annoying. I just downloaded the program on your link and the ad is GONE! :dance:

I was seeing it a week ago, then it went away on it's own. Today it's back again.

I don't mind seeing a popup once when I first visit a site, but to see it on every single page I click on is most annoying. Time to install an ad-blocker I guess.

Have been away for a couple of weeks until yesterday am; the ad is always there, a blue stripe across the bottom of the screen, and as others have said, when you click the X to close it, it just reappears as soon as you move to another page. Very annoying in that it's animated (grrrr--hate that) and it takes up 10 percent of my screen.

It got me for the first time yesterday when I was entering a post, and when I scrolled the reply box up to see what I was typing the CNN ad moved up and stayed smack in the middle of the box.

This CNBC ad, which kept expanding to cover my screen, was so annoying that it prompted me to install an ad blocker in safari.

I've been seeing it, in fact its there as I write this. I don't mind the side bar ads, Google ads, etc., but these big, animated popups are a annoying as heck. I run Firefox and open a tab for every thread I want to read and it's on every tab. IMHO, this needs to go away.

This CNBC ad, which kept expanding to cover my screen, was so annoying that it prompted me to install an ad blocker in safari.
Well then some good came of it :) I'll see what can be done about the ad...

I switched from Chrome to IE for another site's requirements and while I was on IE looking at e-r.org, the ad did not appear.

I switched back to Chrome now and there it is again. I see if I register today! for the CNBC Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge I might win a mill or a Maserati!

I haven't seen the ad but when I first came to the site today, my anti-virus (McAfee Plus) said it block a dangerous site with IP address 64.94.107.54. I don't know if it is coinsidence or related.

I was responding to this thread trying to say that I've been annoyed with this ad all week when the silly thing expanded AGAIN. I don't know what I'm doing to make it do that. I think I must just mouse over...no clicking required.

Back
Top Bottom