Disappearing posts

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I just posted in a thread where I quoted another recent post, but once my post hit, the one I quoted disappeared. IOW, i am quoting a non-existent post.

This happened to me once before, I figured then I was just having flashbacks or something. :cool:

I'm not complaining, just checking to make sure it's not early signs of senility or dementia...:)

I just posted in a thread where I quoted another recent post, but once my post hit, the one I quoted disappeared. IOW, i am quoting a non-existent post.

This happened to me once before, I figured then I was just having flashbacks or something. :cool:

I'm not complaining, just checking to make sure it's not early signs of senility or dementia...:)

Maybe the posts are committing moderator-assisted suicide?:LOL:

Last week I posted something, and left the thread open on my computer. When I came back to my computer, I decided that it wasn't a worthwhile post, and I deleted it. But when the thread was updated, I saw that someone had quoted my post.

Perhaps the same thing happened to you.

I have also edited or deleted something I've posted, but usually people pay no attention to my posts so it is unlikely anyone would quote them :) . Maybe I'll come back in an hour and delete this one.

I have also edited or deleted something I've posted, but usually people pay no attention to my posts so it is unlikely anyone would quote them :) . Maybe I'll come back in an hour and delete this one.

Too late, your post is now immortalized. :whistle:

I suffer from a severe case of "I should have said...", and I almost never post anything without editing it numerous times or deleting it. Often people quote me before I am done editing, which is embarrassing but part of life on the internet. I *could* edit their quotes to make them match the final version of my posts, but I don't because I don't feel that is a way in which I should use my mod powers.

Anyway, if you ever want to get a big laugh, look quotations from my posts included in posts by someone else, like, say Firedreamer or TromboneAl, and compare them with my posts as they ended up after I finished editing them. I'll bet half the time they don't match, because I was busy editing even AFTER my post was quoted. :blush:

Last edited:
I delete posts too, mostly after realizing I completely misread the original, or because I was making no sense at all.

What I want to know is, if I post something, then delete it, does it add to my post total? If so I can get up into CFB range without actually alienating everybody on the forum. :D

I suffer from a severe case of "I should have said...", and I almost never post anything without editing it numerous times or deleting it. Often people quote me before I am done editing, which is embarrassing but part of life on the internet.

I'm glad I am not the only one doing that! :flowers:

Anywho, if wants get big laugh, looks quotations from mye posts included posts by someone else, like, you know, say Firedreamer or the wonderful TromboneAl, and compares them with my posts they ended up after I finish edits them.

For example.

For example.

Yes, as you can see my original "the wonderful, brilliant, insightful genius and world champion bicyclist TromboneAl" got edited down to the version you posted and the final version was still further changed.

I used to have a LOT of my posts deleted when the Soapbox was open..............:)

It’s taken me a couple of days to get back – we’re remodeling and I did not appreciate the demands on my time. Anyway,

Maybe the posts are committing moderator-assisted suicide?:LOL:
A possibility – but these were not offensive in any way.

Last week I posted something, and left the thread open on my computer. When I came back to my computer, I decided that it wasn't a worthwhile post, and I deleted it. But when the thread was updated, I saw that someone had quoted my post.

Perhaps the same thing happened to you.
T-Al, what you say makes sense. I’ve tried to replicate but can’t. Maybe this happens after a certain amount of time.

I have also edited or deleted something I've posted, but usually people pay no attention to my posts so it is unlikely anyone would quote them :). Maybe I'll come back in an hour and delete this one.
I always read your posts twice.

W2R and FireD, I write and edit my posts in a word doc, then copy and paste when I’m ready to post. I usually preview, then close the window to continue editing. This results from an entire career spent in IT and having countless encounters with co-workers, clients, and even bosses with “oops moments” where they wrote the wrong text, mailed the wrong version, sent something to the wrong distribution list – or simply just hit the “send” button too soon. Offline editing doesn’t totally shield me from writing dumb things, just lessens the frequency.

Financedude – good to see ya back. :greetings10:

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if there’s a way to test T-Al’s hypothesis.

Only once did I edit a post I made after it was quoted. Felt guilty when I discovered the quote. Now I leave a post warts and all. No edits, unless there is no quote, when I find a need to edit.

Not that that there are a lot of quotes of my stuff.:D:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom