Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Hmm. I thought it was called listening.

But it depends on the content of that first post, I guess.
Guess that's why I hide behind the "IMO."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Sorry, Brewer, I meant the poster you called a "troll."
So, you're basically saying that there really are trolls -- people whose intent is only to disrupt a forum. I agree, but I find they are extremely rare. We certainly don't encounter them here on a frequent basis.

My problem is with the extension of "troll" to anybody who doesn't agree with you (check the length of some of those ignore lists). And the way they are confronted.

BTW, what do you think of my new "internet putz" -- somebody who engages in ad hominem attacks? I hope it catches on.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Sorry, Brewer, I meant the poster you called a "troll."
'Sokay, I just had no idea what you meant.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
'Sokay, I just had no idea what you meant.
Happens all the time.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
BTW, what do you think of my new "internet putz" -- somebody who engages in ad hominem attacks? I hope it catches on.
I'd recommend they be called "twaddlers". In your honor, of course.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #126

I am honored.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #127

Quote:

Translation - anyone who does not agree totally with everything twaddles says.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Translation - anyone who does not agree totally with everything twaddles says.
Fine sir, I enjoy it when people disagree with what I say. That's the only way I can learn.

Your complaint was with the way I *sound*. Sorry, but that's your perceptual problem.

FWIW, the "can I take my content with me" wasn't so much a crybaby thing as a real question. We contribute our content freely to this site so that AndyR can make some moolah. Does it seem fair to let him continue making moolah from you if you no longer need his services?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

so...if you died, would your content then be part of your estate?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

FWIW,
I think that my not having to pay some kind of subscription here makes it okay for AndyR to generate some ad revenue from the forum. But then again, I don't think that I say anything valuable enough that someone would pay me for it, anyway!
It would be flattering to think that my content is worth something! But I seriously doubt it, and I'm pretty glad that AndyR and Dory before him created this awesome place for me to visit. It is a good thing that it (hopefully) pays for itself.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
It would be flattering to think that my content is worth something!
That's why I'm hoping "internet putz" becomes a big hit catch phrase. Can you imagine the royalties? Ca-ching!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So, you're basically saying that there really are trolls -- people whose intent is only to disrupt a forum. I agree, but I find they are extremely rare. We certainly don't encounter them here on a frequent basis.

My problem is with the extension of "troll" to anybody who doesn't agree with you (check the length of some of those ignore lists). And the way they are confronted.

Not sure we’re on the same page, but I will say that regarding those two suspected trolls, I could not read their styles, my eyes instinctively lifted off the page.

Yeah, the public confrontation is a problem. If I wanted to stop someone I think is troll (hasn't happened yet); I think I would bring it to the attention of admin and then accept their decision.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #133

Quote:
Fine sir, I enjoy it when people disagree with what I say. That's the only way I can learn.

Your complaint was with the way I *sound*. Sorry, but that's your perceptual problem.

FWIW, the "can I take my content with me" wasn't so much a crybaby thing as a real question. We contribute our content freely to this site so that AndyR can make some moolah. Does it seem fair to let him continue making moolah from you if you no longer need his services?
Quote:
That's why I'm hoping "internet putz" becomes a big hit catch phrase. Can you imagine the royalties? Ca-ching!
I do agree with you on some of your points, but not all of them. I believe people should be polite to one another and they should not be condemned unless they are known threat to the well being of this forum. However, you violate that yourself by using a picture of some maniac to poke fun at those who do not agree with everything you say.

Did you start your crusade because of the treatment given to Andy H? In my opinion, he started as being pompous without any real substance to contribute in the original post. However, I thought he was treated too harsh right out of the gate. But Andy H did not do much to help his cause. I would have liked to see him still around to either prove or disapprove himself.

Since I am new to these forum things, I trust the moderators know much more the rest of us about picking out a skunk in the works (did not use the word Troll).

If you were to re-address all your posts on this thread you might realize you are not as virtuous as you would like to believe.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #134

You're right that I'm not virtuous. In fact, I felt uncomfortable taking on this "crusade" precisely because I am one of the most annoying people on this site.

There wasn't one specific instance that set me off. But there have been several unpleasant threads on this site lately, and I do believe that it's sort of a virus with more and more members here becoming infected.

The tipping point for me came when the beagle tried to call out yet another troll on this very thread, but it could have been anybody at that point. I was becoming disenchanted with this place.

It may be vanity, but I think my rant actually helped. I've seen some stellar behavior recently.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #135

I have been off and on this board for about two years. It seems to me the only time I have seen it get personal is when post get political. I never had the pleasure of reading JG's post so I don't have a clue what he got banned/run off for.

It seems to me, you could or should moderate the financial/health/retirement sections, to insure information presented is true. Then let the 'other topics' run mod free. Or start a section 'No Moderator - Enter at your own Risk!"
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Or start a section 'No Moderator - Enter at your own Risk!"
We tried that already. H05uc almost ran everyone else off.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #137

Quote:
You're right that I'm not virtuous. In fact, I felt uncomfortable taking on this "crusade" precisely because I am one of the most annoying people on this site.
I told you I agreed with some of your points. This is one them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We tried that already. H05uc almost ran everyone else off.
After reviewing what H05uc put out I totally agree he had to go for the preservation of the forum. Unfamiliar with what JG was doing to put a burr under someone's saddle, but I trust there was just cause. Have not heard of anyone else being banned.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

There has been a handful - I think about six total, including the guy who was banned about a year ago, rejoined as "jumpstart" and was found out by beagle on this thread that twaddle is referring to. Beagle also reported this person to the moderator group, and upon investigation, we determined it to be a match and re-banned him. The person involved engaged in numerous profanity laden attacks on other posters and had caused numerous posters to ask for a banning or censoring via PM to the moderators.

This is typical of the threshold a poster has to reach to get banned. We've never banned anyone for ticking off a moderator, it's always, "by public acclaim".
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #139

Larencewill,

Thanks for the information for us new to the forum.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #140

Quote:
The tipping point for me came when the beagle tried to call out yet another troll on this very thread, but it could have been anybody at that point. I was becoming disenchanted with this place.
I didnt "try" to...I did...