Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Dory36 demoted!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like vBulletin -- I was the first mod on a very busy board that uses vBulletin, and I liked the software quite a bit.

When I add forums to my site, I'd strongly consider vBulletin (though since our site is currently low-traffic... maybe a couple thousand hits per month and mailing list a bit over 100 people... we may look towards a free solution until we have more income).
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did some mod duty on a vbulletin board mannnny moons ago. Nice software. Solid 'ignore user' feature. Very close to the smf package this board runs. Nice search feature. Very fast. Good tech support.

Lots of add-ons and bonus features to do all the things you've always wished for.

Only downside is that it costs a few bucks instead of free.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier, been really busy with... *gasp* work.

Anyway, I love reading this on my work provided blackberry while I'm traveling here & there. This is one of the very rare forums which has a very clean mobile version of the site. If possible, I would love for this to continue into your forum software, I don't know if the software you're considering supports mobile versions of the site.

Anyway, good luck with everything
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #44
Administrator

We are actually going to be looking at specially formatted interface just for mobile users. There is a special add-on software that interfaces with the same database but is a completely separate software designed specifically for mobile users (Bberry, WAP phones, iPaqs, etc). We still have not tested this much yet but I am pretty sure it is going to be successful and then it should be pretty easy to roll out. It will probably be run on a different domain like mobile.early-retirement.org. Hopefully we can detect that you are coming from a mobile device and automatically redirect you but all those details needs to be worked out. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI, I'm also a reader of the cruising message board (interesting that two of my message boards will now be related)

Are the login accounts going to be combined as well? It would be nice I imagine to be able to have one login for all of your message boards.
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #46
Administrator

No plans to merge the logins. The best ideas is to get the same name on each forum. I have no intent on homogenizing the forums as I feel each one has it's own unique character. Plus can you imagine what it would be like to try and merge all those accounts and figure out that mess!

The one thing that I am hoping to do across the sites is use some elements that are the same from a software skin I am having developed. It has to do with the forum listing page and then inside each forum where the threads are listed. I just think there are better ways to use the screen real estate then the way they are setup now. I have a time slot reserved with a very highly regarded graphics designer/vbulletin skin guru at the end of the month to work on the details. I will post more info (and a screen shoot) as it becomes available.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Andy - I just wanted to offer a belated Welcome! from me - I've been on vacation and missed this thread until investigating the little hiccup this morning.

It sounds like you've had a very interesting life, and definitely have the proper mindset to fit in with this board. Looking forward to having you around.

Dory - congratulations to you on the demotion! I am glad you will have more free time to enjoy your ER now. You've done a fantastic job getting the board to this point, and I think you know it, but we all appreciate it very much!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #48
Administrator

Sheryl,

Thanks for the welcome greeting. I do look forward to being able to participate in the discussions more. Right now I am working 80 hour weeks trying to keep up with everything on our network, just having to tackle one little piece at a time. With time I hope to have systems setup to automate most things and then we can talk about the fun stuff (retiring, saving money, traveling (I have some tricks to share here), etc).

Andy
Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Andy
Summit county boarding was just awesome - I enjoyed the bowls at vail a lot and Keystone & Breck were good too. I did check out the goat - thanks

-h