Double spacing between paragraphs in posts? New?

Ok, discovered another thing you can do with Firefox, if you want to keep the WYSIWYG editor (meaning don't drop to the standard option in forum).
- go to about:config
- search for editor.use_div_for_default_newlines
- double-click the line to change it to false
Everything above is typed on a line, with enter key pressed at the end.
Say it:
No
Extra
Line
Breaks.
OK, trying again on the "broken computer" with 60.x.
How is this?
Sorry for the noise.
Does it work?

Should be one blank line above.

Edit: ahhh, that did it! Thank you target2019. If I could, I'd drop you a large bonus so you could join class of 2018. :)

Waiting for the day Firefox decides to modify the browser behavior, and we get an update that fixes this problem. How will our change to config manifest in future browser? Time will tell.
It is likely I will go part time early 2019. Just sayin'

Ok, discovered another thing you can do with Firefox, if you want to keep the WYSIWYG editor (meaning don't drop to the standard option in forum).
Say it:
No
Extra
Line
Breaks.

Thanks, target2019. :flowers:

This 'fix' works like a charm!

omni

Waiting for the day Firefox decides to modify the browser behavior, and we get an update that fixes this problem. How will our change to config manifest in future browser? Time will tell.
It is likely I will go part time early 2019. Just sayin'

Yes, and why isn't it in some sort of user-friendly preferences setting or something? This is easy once a guru like you show us, but even though I ain't afraid of no tech, I would have no idea to look for "editor.use_div_for_default_newlines". What the heck is that?

How is it you found the solution, my searches came up empty?

-ERD50

Firstly, in Firefox I can see the extra newline when I use "Preview Post" before doing a "Submit Reply" in the advanced editor. I don't have to actually submit the post to see this. Using this method I do not see an additional newline when preparing a post on the Bogleheads forum. So maybe this forum's software is partly to blame?

Second, when I looked into that about:config setting I saw this:

I'm not sure I want to go this route since it's a workaround to a fairly minor problem. Will I remember this change if it causes other issues unrelated to this forum. What about security?

I took the 'warranty' warning as joke. This is free-ware, there is no warranty.

I think you do have a valid point about remembering this change if it did affect something else. Not likely, but could happen.

I do try to log changes like this, it helps when/if you reinstall something.

-ERD50

Firstly, in Firefox I can see the extra newline when I use "Preview Post" before doing a "Submit Reply" in the advanced editor. I don't have to actually submit the post to see this. Using this method I do not see an additional newline when preparing a post on the Bogleheads forum. So maybe this forum's software is partly to blame?

Second, when I looked into that about:config setting I saw this:

I'm not sure I want to go this route since it's a workaround to a fairly minor problem. Will I remember this change if it causes other issues unrelated to this forum. What about security?

Right. Warranty? Really?

OK, if it doesn't work, I delete the old version and reinstall.

They just don't want people badgering them about this. It is fine.

I didn't really think about the warranty wording. Probably is a bit of a joke but it did serve as a good warning.

It was happening to me too. Let's see if it still is. (1 blank line below)

Windows 10 (No blank line below)
Firefox 62.0.3

I've got it, too. I tried the editor.use_div_for_default_newlines fix ...

One line between?

Failed in the quick reply, okay when quoting.

On another forum, there is the opposite problem: newlines are ignored.

Okay, switched to standard editing.

One line between this and the preceding line?

Okay, switched to standard editing.

One line between this and the preceding line?

And with a quote ...

One line between?

Okay fixed. Humans really aren't good at programming or at developing/using standards.

Ghost in the machines.

Yeah, I'm getting tired of having to edit my responses to correct them. But this sure qualifies as a First World problem if I've ever seen one.

Yeah, I'm getting tired of having to edit my responses to correct them. But this sure qualifies as a First World problem if I've ever seen one.

What I do is to preview the post, then edit that. Then submit.

It's annoying and I wish the site admin could get the software fixed.

What I do is to preview the post, then edit that. Then submit.

It's annoying and I wish the site admin could get the software fixed.

It's less annoying to turn off the WYSIWYG editing. I can deal with not seeing text italicized, for example.

Of course, it isn't easy to find that option (pet peeve).

JsYx1aC.jpg

KNa0Sh2.jpg

Thanks Al for identifying how to set up this option. I went back and noticed the posts on this but never would have found how to implement the fix. :dance:

The only thing I see different is that one does not see the actual special effects until doing the "Preview Changes" in the advanced editor.

Last edited:
That was a concern I had earlier, making change in about:config. How effective that may be can change at the whim of browser update.

Say it:
No
Extra
Line
Breaks.
It's happened to me twice now, and the above fixed the issue both times. Thanks again target2019!

That was a concern I had earlier, making change in about:config. How effective that may be can change at the whim of browser update.

The 67.0 update caused Firefox to startup with a blank page. After trying a number of things that didn't work I had to "refresh" Firefox, setting it back to factory defaults. Then I had to download my add-ons again and reconfigure things back to where I had them. There were a few annoyances I had forgotten about like the search engine bar under the address bar when typing, and the double space thing here on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom