Empty box at the bottom

In Chrome, AdBlock Plus finds and blocks this element as "early-retirement.org###footfixed"

It popped up again this morning. Very annoying. So I clicked "Block element" in ABP and it found and blocked it with same name as you posted. Hopefully that's the last I see of this.

I wouldn't mind it at all if it was an actual ad. But it's just a transparent, empty, pop-up box. Makes it seem like something is broken with the forum. Based on posts here, it's empty whether the user has an adblocker or not. So it's difficult to understand what's being accomplished here. How does the forum make money on an empty, transparent, pop-up box?

Both on Firefox desktop and Firefox Android I've had an empty box appear at the bottom of the browser window. It's got an "x" in the top right corner, and it's able to be dismissed. Just weird. Wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Maybe it's more of that nutty 'notify user we use cookies' law (like, duh, cookies are ubiquitous, I don't need to be reminded ten thousand times). But if that's it, then where's the text?
I'm seeing the same thing on Firefox. Just started a few days ago.

An annoyance is that if I came to a page from clicking the "show new posts" and being taken into the middle of a page of posts, x'ing out the ad box causes a jump to the top of the page, and I'll have no idea where the new posts started.

An annoyance is that if I came to a page from clicking the "show new posts" and being taken into the middle of a page of posts, x'ing out the ad box causes a jump to the top of the page, and I'll have no idea where the new posts started.

+1

I turned off my ad blocker today for unrelated reasons, and I was able to see the pop up ad, which I quickly closed. I can see all the other ads just fine, those in the header and on the right side. IMO, there's no reason to have yet another ad popping up that obscures a part of the page I'm trying to read. I'm much less likely to pay attention to, much less click on, an intrusive ad like that.

Still getting the blank box at the bottom every time I go to a new page or tab.

Do you click the "remember me" button when you log in?

I think there's a minor flaw in this implementation. I don't think it's reasonable for me to expect it to get fixed, but I'll mention it here anyway.

I have an ad blocker on, so I get the empty box at the bottom of the screen once a day.

If I go to "User CP" or "New Posts" and open one of the threads to the first unread reply, I'll get the empty box at the bottom. Once I click on the "X" to dismiss it, the URL changes from the bookmarked first unread reply to a blank bookmark, so from "....html#post2336805" to "....html#" which takes me back to the top of that page of the thread.

In other words, dismissing the blank window makes me lose my place in the thread because it makes the bookmark go away.

Since I usually open threads in a new window, I've discovered the workaround of pressing the back arrow button, which restores the bookmark but not the empty window.

I think there's a minor flaw in this implementation. I don't think it's reasonable for me to expect it to get fixed, but I'll mention it here anyway.

I have an ad blocker on, so I get the empty box at the bottom of the screen once a day.

If I go to "User CP" or "New Posts" and open one of the threads to the first unread reply, I'll get the empty box at the bottom. Once I click on the "X" to dismiss it, the URL changes from the bookmarked first unread reply to a blank bookmark, so from "....html#post2336805" to "....html#" which takes me back to the top of that page of the thread.

In other words, dismissing the blank window makes me lose my place in the thread because it makes the bookmark go away.

Since I usually open threads in a new window, I've discovered the workaround of pressing the back arrow button, which restores the bookmark but not the empty window.
^ this exactly is my experience.

^ this exactly is my experience.

Same here.

Back
Top Bottom