Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #21
Administrator

It's a new block for ads. If you are running an blocker, the transparent box still displays minus the ad for something you really, really needed...

You'll need to dismiss the box (X in corner) and then tomorrow it will reappear. Ads cover site costs even though universally hated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm seeing it a lot today and it's really slowing down my load up time, lots of spinning and waiting.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It's a new block for ads. If you are running an blocker, the transparent box still displays minus the ad for something you really, really needed...
Well, that's different then!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

You'll need to dismiss the box (X in corner) and then tomorrow it will reappear. Ads cover site costs even though universally hated.
Yes, of course, we all understand that ads pay the bills.

But pop-up ads? In 2019? Seriously?

Those are easily the most hated, and have been since the dawn of the web browser. Just about every browser now blocks them by default.

Apparently, someone at the forum hosting company figured out a way around those blocks. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to use that workaround.

I suspect all it will do is force more people to install ad blockers, which isn't good for this forum. I want to see this forum continue its success!
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #25
Administrator

The reason the box is empty is because we have so many people using ad blockers that's it's undermining the ability to offer services for free. We basically moved the ad from the footer of the page (which would not have seen before if you are using an ad blocker) into the box in the footer.

The box in the footer is empty because the ad blocker is removing the ad. All you have to do is click the X and it will go away for 24 hours. Then you can view as many pages as you want before it comes back in 24 hours.

We are looking into a way to disable this thing for members who actively post. For example, made 20 posts in the last month it would get disabled. We are working on this solution so it might be a little while before we can roll it out.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
The reason the box is empty is because we have so many people using ad blockers that's it's undermining the ability to offer services for free. We basically moved the ad from the footer of the page (which would not have seen before if you are using an ad blocker) into the box in the footer.

The box in the footer is empty because the ad blocker is removing the ad. All you have to do is click the X and it will go away for 24 hours. Then you can view as many pages as you want before it comes back in 24 hours.

We are looking into a way to disable this thing for members who actively post. For example, made 20 posts in the last month it would get disabled. We are working on this solution so it might be a little while before we can roll it out.
And that's a good reason..we have to remember that nothing is free and yes advertisers aren't going to pay money when people block their ads..it's just the way of the world. Thanks for the once in 24 hour tip that was helpful...a lot of anti-virus programs seems to run adblockers as a default option.
The problem is sometimes it seems like the pop-ups are endless, not here but on other sites.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #27

Based on the comments from the admins, I have turned off adblock for this site. I find it the most useful forum I frequent. If watching a few ads pays the bills, then I can handle that.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Has any consideration been given to a subscription that eliminated the ads? I would see that just as an option; if someone is prepared to put up with the ads, then they wouldn't have to pay. And of course there will still be freeloaders (like me). But, I would be happy to pay a few $ per month to support the site.
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
But, I would be happy to pay a few $ per month to support the site.
Seriously a tip jar type thing with a reminder ever so often wouldn't be bad.

Another low friction way to generate a little money for a site is an Amazon affiliate link which allows folks to buy amazon items through it while generating a small kickback to the site.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm sure Andy R appreciates all these suggestions but since he owns 50 or so of these sites through his company Social Knowledge, I'm betting he knows far more than we do about how to make a buck running a forum.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Based on the comments from the admins, I have turned off adblock for this site. I find it the most useful forum I frequent. If watching a few ads pays the bills, then I can handle that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Has any consideration been given to a subscription that eliminated the ads? I would see that just as an option; if someone is prepared to put up with the ads, then they wouldn't have to pay. And of course there will still be freeloaders (like me). But, I would be happy to pay a few $ per month to support the site.
I'd much rather donate $1 a month (or more) to not be served ads. As I said, I had the ad blocker turned off, because the footer or inter-post ads aren't that intrusive, but pop-over, pop-up, and animated ads always get blocked, they're like nails on a blackboard for me.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't change a thing. As a guy I spend a lot of time in my empty box.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #33

I’ve got it too. On safari on an iPhone. It takes up a huge chunk of real estate on the phone and displays so that you have to scroll far to the right to dismiss it. Really annoying.

Eta, the only reason I installed an ad blocker was because this particular site kept displaying an add that tried to take over my computer/phone. I’m happy to uninstall if we can ensure that ad doesn’t come back. I haven’t experienced it on any other forums.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #34

Quote:

I can certainly live with that.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I assumed it was a new kind of ad that was being only partially blocked by my ad blocker, but I hadn't yet gotten curious enough to turn off the blocker and see. Are you guys using ad blockers?
I use Adblocker Ultimate with Firefox on Windows 7. I saw the blank box too until I right clicked the box and chose to block that element. Haven't seen it since.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm seeing the same thing at times on Chrome.
+1
Old 10-04-2019, 04:46 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Brave browser had a problem automatically finding this element and blocking.
If you encounter this problem enter "div#footfixed" without the quotes into the block element dialog.
That worked for me.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1
Deleted.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:00 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Brave browser had a problem automatically finding this element and blocking.
If you encounter this problem enter "div#footfixed" without the quotes into the block element dialog.
That worked for me.
In Chrome, AdBlock Plus finds and blocks this element as "early-retirement.org###footfixed"
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The reason the box is empty is because we have so many people using ad blockers that's it's undermining the ability to offer services for free.
Just an fyi to all the other members here. I do not have my ad blocker turned on for Early-Retirment.org. The experience is very, very acceptable as far as speed and responsiveness is concerned.

I use the ad blockers on my PC whenever I am traveling over other websites on the internet, and that improves my experience greatly. But, when I find a "gem" such as ER.org, I happily let the ads "roam free" and, occasionally, I will even click on an ad from within this website if it is something I was recently looking for on Google anyway.

I am sure my efforts are not making anyone wealthy within ER.org, but, I think, "every little click" counts as far as keeping this forum open and available for future FIRE hopefuls!
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote