Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

ER math-- or lack thereof.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

ER math-- or lack thereof.

Who's checking the software calculations around here?

Take a look at the results of this public poll: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post689024

Quote:
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41.
Yes 26 63.41%
No 21 51.22%
Thank goodness this doesn't slop over into FIRECalc.

Does the poll math have something to do with the "Ignore Poster" list, or is it just another glitch undocumented bonus feature?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can vote for more than one choice. The percentage shown is a proportion of the total that voted for that choice.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

News flash! We have quite a few undecided voters on this forum (26+21-41)/41 = 15%.

Sorry, I thought this was the soupbox forum...
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hey, no plaintive threads about my whimsy thread!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You can vote for more than one choice. The percentage shown is a proportion of the total that voted for that choice.
I'm as American as the next guy, but I have a problem with a "poll" that lets 41 voters tally 47 mutually-exclusive choices and then add them up to more than 100%.

But I'm not surprised to get this debate from a group who doesn't even agree on a common definition of net worth...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Hey dont mess with me man, I was in marketing...

Wait until I figure out what the actual question is and what our answers mean.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm as American as the next guy, but I have a problem with a "poll" that lets 41 voters tally 47 mutually-exclusive choices and then add them up to more than 100%.

But I'm not surprised to get this debate from a group who doesn't even agree on a common definition of net worth...
(emphasis mine, not Nords')

Ah!! The crux of the misunderstanding is that they are NOT mutually exclusive choices in this poll. The poll sees the logic in "well, yes, and no!" and permits both in a way that is more mutually compatible than mutually exclusive.

An example is, "do you like your portfolio results lately?" with an answer of "well, yes and no..." when you love those dividends but some of the funds' share prices are sinking.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

And the definition of net worth is hardly in debate. The definition 100% of the time is an individuals assets minus liabilities if liquidated.

Some folks just choose to figure it differently, in which case its not 'net worth'. Its 'What I think I'm worth after applying my own personal screen to my assets and liabilities"

So there!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well, glad we got THAT settled!!! For once and for all!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well hell! North is north!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:38 AM   #11
Administrator

The voting is consistent with where I am living (Louisiana) - vote early and vote often.

When Louisiana switched to electronic voting many years ago they sold their old machines to a town in Mexico, and the first time they used them, Edwin Edwards won.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The voting is consistent with where I am living (Louisiana) - vote early and vote often.

When Louisiana switched to electronic voting many years ago they sold their old machines to a town in Mexico, and the first time they used them, Edwin Edwards won.
Good one!

Love those electronic voting machines (especially that satisfying chime when you push the button to submit your votes). But sometimes I wonder if the vote is actually being tallied or if the chime is all we get (this being Louisiana). Politics down here are so underhanded and slimy.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Love those electronic voting machines (especially that satisfying chime when you push the button to submit your votes). But sometimes I wonder if the vote is actually being tallied or if the chime is all we get (this being Louisiana). Politics down here are so underhanded and slimy.
And the amazing thing is that folks seem to accept it. When my brother and his wife were visiting from Oz last month one of the things we did was go to the old state capital in Baton Rouge and they have some good stuff in there including an animatronic statue of the state's most famous, and infamous governors, Huey P Long, giving some of his speeches.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #14

WV also shares the tradition of voting early and often so the poll result do make sense.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
And the amazing thing is that folks seem to accept it. When my brother and his wife were visiting from Oz last month one of the things we did was go to the old state capital in Baton Rouge and they have some good stuff in there including an animatronic statue of the state's most famous, and infamous governors, Huey P Long, giving some of his speeches.
Interesting! I never did tour the old state capital when I lived in BR from 1996-1999 (I think it was under renovation for part of that time, or some such thing).

When it comes to Louisiana politics, my only consolation is that at least the corruption is out in the open. Not so for some states. Still, I am expecting (hoping for?) at least a little more integrity in politics when I move north to Missouri, in a couple of years. It couldn't get much worse.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Huh. That makes me wonder.... should we include our house....?

[ducks, covers, and runs like h*ll!]
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords said:

===

::: cue music ::: ::cue dancing girls:::

Chi - cah - go, chi - cah - go !!!!

Vote early and often, that's the RIGHT way to do it.

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
The forum software allows a poll starter to select the voting parameters as well as whether or not you can see who voted for what. Maybe the programmer responsible used to work for Diebold?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Nah, cuz then someone we didnt like would be moderating the board.

:smooch: