Join Early Retirement Today

ER Pearls of Wisdom?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ER Pearls of Wisdom?

We get a lot of rehashing of topics here, but we also get an ocassional well-written and well-thought-out Pearl of Wisdom, and even an ocassional Thread of Wisdom.

Can we find a way to cultivate these pearls? Perhaps a separate section with links to them?
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ER Pearls of Wisdom?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #2

The biggest problem is maintaining the list. We are a group of people who generally dislike work.

I think the best way to implement this within the board software would be for a poster make his own "best of" list or "wisdom pearl" list and have dory36 or a moderater "sticky" it to the top of the topic list. The original poster could then go back and edit the list as needed. It would probably be best to lock the thread as these things tend to get replied to a lot and then not updated in the first post and then you end up with a long and disorganized string of posts instead of an easily-referenced list.

If the original poster abandons the list or otherwise lets it stagnate, then a new volunteer might copy and update the list and become the new list maintainer with the help of dory36 or a moderator unstickying the old list and stickying the new one.

Those of us who have our own websites could also aggregate "best of" lists on our sites. I was thinking of this earlier when reading some of today's wisdom. It has the advantage of being easily ignored if it languishes and the advantage of gaining web traffic for the host if it is well-maintained and of interest to others.

EDIT: A seperate forum with pearl pointers could be implemented, but every which I imagine that the end result is unwieldy to read unless one person is dedicated and faithful to maintaining the list, but given a person like that any implementation would work fine. This whole post is just my opinion, of course.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #3

Yeah, I'm with you on making it self-maintaining somehow. Some boards have the ability to let users assign critical rankings to posts and threads. Ideally, you'd be able to make an automated list sorted on those rankings.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Yeah, I'm with you on making it self-maintaining somehow. Some boards have the ability to let users assign critical rankings to posts and threads. Ideally, you'd be able to make an automated list sorted on those rankings.
It's been a while, but I looked into this before. The board software has a karma feature, but if I recall correctly it's to rate users, not posts. It's currently disabled.

(Warning: if you think tech talk is painful or otherwise boring, skip the next two paragraphs, then I start talking like a human again.)

(going a bit techie here) SMF, the board software, is written in PHP and extensible through user-contributed modules or end-user recoding, but aside from the initial effort to make changes there are potential problems during future upgrades, template changes and disaster recovery that are much more complex than if you stick with the basic software package.

(going off on a techie tangent) I've been giving a fair bit of thought lately to this and similar (e.g. adding new function to a site while maintaining the same user authentication data) problems--for dynamic website building in general, not necessarily for this board. These packaged tools such the various forum software I reviewed in April are relatively easy to install, set up and maintain for a particular purpose, but are difficult to customize and maintain the customizations...customizations are basically forking the project and updating involves backporting the projects' updates. For the tech-savvy web builder I'm thinking the answer is a more generalized toolset with a stable API (I'm looking at Zope and Plone now and will check out Tomcat/J2EE/jboss/Struts/etc. soon) so you can customize and have much less worry about updating software affecting the customization. It's more difficult to set up and takes more knowledge, but it should be much more extendable, scalable and--with respect to customizations--maintainable.

(back to normal talk) In short, I'm reluctant to take it upon myself to go far outside the bounds of the current board software partially due to laziness and partially with an eye towards ongoing maintenance. But my word isn't the only word or even the last word. It's dory36's board, server and domain name. I'm just helping out because I think it's a great site and dory36 was stupid enough to let me help .

I was going to pooh-pooh post rankings because they tend to get used for political and other polarized debates, but even so I recall a number of useful posts getting "rec'ed" to the top at TMF, so it may be a useful feature still. I don't recall seeing an available mod for that, but maybe I'll check again. If the mods appear to be "bolt-on", then I'm not too afraid of them. If they involve much integration I get scared off real quick.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:48 PM   #5

Forking is painful, but so is building something from scratch within a new framework. I would stick with features that get rolled into the core by the forum software maintainers.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I see something I think will be useful to me, I copy it right then and there.

As far as rankings, best of, etc., I would not trust any one else's ideas of what is valuable. So I likely would not pay any attention to the rankings.

An exception would be user reviews-of laptops, stereos, camcorders, digicams, etc.

Additionally, I think that all posts with pictures of callipygian women should have a warning attached. (Nota bene, Dan.)

Warning: “This may too strong for an old guy like Ha.”

Then I could just skip those and go read my bible. Or have a quick look, and then walk naked through a patch of nettles and jump into my frigid pond. Or bang my head against a wall.

Ha
Old 10-25-2005, 12:02 AM   #7

I've always thought that a useful req system would allow each member to provide either a positive or negative req to any post. That way, political posts would carry high req marks in both categories, while actual ER posts would tend to have only positive posts. . . I think.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Warning: “This may too strong for an old guy like Ha. Then I could just go directly to skip those and go read my bible.
Pearls of Wisdom

A ZZ Top song comes to mind...* :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
callipygian
A good all-purpose word!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
A good all-purpose word!
Shows a well rounded education to boot
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Pearls before swine would be a better title.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #12

how about callipygious swine getting tatooed?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:16 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
how about callipygious swine getting tatooed?
That looks more dasypygal (dasy-pig-al?) than calli-pig-ious...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 AM   #14

What looks like a pearl (of wisdom) to me might look like a pig to you....
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Forking is painful
I would recommend seeing a doctor immediately.

Is peeking painful too?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote