etiquette

obgyn65

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Please could someone let me know the proper etiquette to invite someone on this website to be a contact ? I noticed some of you have lists of friends and I would like to send a couple of invites to those whose posts I find most helpful. Thank you for letting me know.

Click on anyone's screen name to pull up their profile. On the right side of the screen, you will see a link that says "befriend ____". Click on that link and it will send an invitation to that person, who can accept or decline as she sees fit.

You could also send a personal message using the "contact" tab in the profile page.

I like the 'Thanks' option. It lets people know what you liked about their posts.
I don't do the friends thing. I don't know what it really means.

I like the 'Thanks' option. It lets people know what you liked about their posts.

To quote oh Brother where art Thou: "I'm with you fellers."

Several have sent me friend requests, which i've accepted, but really don't see that it conveys any special powers. Most here are pretty likeable and being part of a friend group or having a large number of "friends" seems clique-ish. I'm old fashioned though - don't do Twitter or have hundreds of followers there and barely do Facebook, where my friends just got into the low tens.

There's etiquette on the forum? Uh...oh....:blush:

Yes...I enjoy the friendship option and the thanks option as well. Man...I've received some thanks that have made me roll on the floor...:ROFLMAO:

To mention the details of some of the thanks however would not be proper etiquette. :angel:

The problem with the Thanks option is if you do not look at yourself.. (your 'home' page I guess you could call it).... you do not know someone thanked you...

I rarely do more than click "New Posts" and look to see what interests me.. some of the threads I am just an observer... some I am deep into posting...

The problem with the Thanks option is if you do not look at yourself.. (your 'home' page I guess you could call it).... you do not know someone thanked you...
...unless you have "thanks PM notification" turned on which notifies you whenever you get thanked. (user cp > edit options > check appropriate box under "Messaging & Notification")

The nice thing about "Thanks" is that you can say things which would never pass moderation on the forum. Just pretend that the moderators/admins can't read "Thanks" messages or PMs.

Man...I've received some thanks that have made me roll on the floor...
With laughter, right? Or some other emotion/symptom?

Reminds me of a very old Bob Newhart standup routine...

I have also used the "Thank you" option a couple of times in the past. Well I sent an invite to one person, will take it from there. I agree with your point re: mentioning the details of the thanks.

Yes...I enjoy the friendship option and the thanks option as well. Man...I've received some thanks that have made me roll on the floor...:ROFLMAO:

To mention the details of some of the thanks however would not be proper etiquette. :angel:

To quote oh Brother where art Thou: "I'm with you fellers."

Several have sent me friend requests, which i've accepted, but really don't see that it conveys any special powers. Most here are pretty likeable and being part of a friend group or having a large number of "friends" seems clique-ish. I'm old fashioned though - don't do Twitter or have hundreds of followers there and barely do Facebook, where my friends just got into the low tens.

+1

People here, I either like or am indifferent to. A few, and I stress very few, annoy me, but I guess my tolerance level is still high so I still have not ignored any. I am still curious to see what crazy things they will post next. Free entertainment!

About friends, well, I don't know. This forum is the only one I frequent. Still no Facebook account for me, and most likely never. No phone texting. No IM. No Twitter. In fact, I learned of the word Twitter when it was mentioned here, in this forum.

However, I should learn to send Thanks to other posters more often.

Wait, mods can read the "thanks" messages? Well, then, I better tone mine down STAT!
j/k...I really don't think we can do that!
Sure, sure, we know that's what the admins want you moderators to say...

Whoa! Then the mods would know who has been proposing to whom. That knowledge, my friends, is power in this microcosm. How to monetize this knowledge, that's the $50 question.

Me either. I've gotten friend requests, but haven't responded to them for that reason.

Whoa! Then the mods would know who has been proposing to whom. That knowledge, my friends, is power in this microcosm. How to monetize this knowledge, that's the $50 question.

Yep, you nailed it, $50 will be enough to bribe me.

Maybe vBulletin is working on a way to get around AdBlock?

There, I have nailed Alan on the price for anyone who is courting someone else here in this forum and desirous to know if there are other competing suitors.

But wait! Do I hear $40 from another moderator? The free market concept should work here too.

And Nords, we are talking about potential transactions between an inquiring member and an accommodating moderator. Sorry, but Andy is not a party to this.

Andy would have to pay the mods a heck of a lot more to read PMs or thanks, which we can't do anyway. Don't blame us when they end up on WikiLeaks.

Last edited:
Is there a way to make the 'Thanks' form more like a regular PM? A few times, I went to hit 'return' to start a new line and it got sent - poof! And the char limit is really low - I have trouble being that concise!

-ERD50

I heard we're going to start putting google ads into the thanks messages, too.

Andy would have to pay the mods a heck of a lot more to read PMs or thanks, which we can't do anyway. Don't blame us when they end up on WikiLeaks.
Oohhh! For PMs to be juicy enough to be on WikiLeaks, they must be really salacious. Come on now, BWE! Name your price.

By the way, a few years ago, the CEO of a Dow 30 company was fired, as he was caught exchanging salacious E-mails with a female subordinate employee. The details regarding the discovery of the E-mails were not revealed. Isn't that something? Even CEO's E-mails were not secure.

You would not believe some of the stuff I have seen in emails uncovered during the course of litigation. It's as if people completely forget that they are making a permanent record, not talking privately.

Back
Top Bottom