FAQs?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Dory, et al., do we have a spot for FAQs? Seems like there are recurring questions that get asked that could be answered with a series of FAQs. For example, I could easily put together a primer on life insurance and annuities for FIRE'd folks and wannabees if there was enough interest to bother.

The problem with the previous FAQ board was that it became a catch-all for questions. A couple of FAQ ideas I recall were stickying FAQ topics if volunteers such as you wrote up a FAQ question/answer, or having a wiki page for FAQs. Or perhaps one could post a message with links to a better example of one of the FAQ threads.

Everything above except the wiki is trivial to implement in the current software. I kind of like the idea of a wiki, though...the paradigm shift tends to keep new people from editing it offtopic, and I think we have enough wiki-capable people here to maintain a nice set of FAQs and topic pointers, and the board indexes won't be cluttered with many stickies after a few months. I'll check into wiki software.

So can we simply say that if you have questions, drink booze from the wiki-wiki mart, and if you have frequent questions...

ding ding ding...we have a winner. Since you could type all three words with an emoticon, clearly you dont frequently have questions ;)

http://ulukau.org/english.php

wiki

vs. To hurry, hasten; quick, fast, swift. See alawiki.

Hele wiki: quick time, quick step.
E wiki 'oe mai lohi: hurry, don't delay.
ho'o wiki: To hurry, hasten.

Hey Nords, they still sell Crazy Horse out there in the Wiki Wiki marts? It was the cheapest thing they had, I think it was $2 for a 64 oz bottle. Our parties were always BYOB, but if someone was broke, we would always say, "hey, I think we could scrounge up 2 bucks for some crazy horse!"...we weren't being nice, it was just fun to watch the guy try to drink that crap just to get drunk! ;)

Wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki . . . Huh. It's okay, but it's not that great. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. :-\

Do the Wiki Wiki gods wear dryer sheets and spew milk from their noses? :confused:

Don't rush into it SG...wiki is not something to be taken lightly. wiki.

Silly silly (wiki) silly me! We don't need a wiki. With this software we can create special group and give them moderator powers to certain areas of the foum. We could make a FAQ group and let them edit FAQ posts. wiki. wiki. I'm not sure we can assigne permissions by thread, so we may have to make a FAQ board again if we follow this idea. Sounds simple enough; all I need is time now.

wiki.

EDIT: Looks like we can control permissions by board but not by topic, so we could create a FAQ board and allow certain users post and moderator edit privileges to that board. We could either create a new group and add people by invitation or just allow post and moderator edit access to everyone with more than 500 posts, 1000 posts, 100 posts, whatever. Or we could do both to give blanket FAQ making access to high posters *and* add other FAQ makers by request/invitation. What are the thoughts on this? wiki.

I'll see if other things are possible, like making a FAQ user and allowing certain people to moderate its posts...I would like that because we could have one sticky FAQ topic in each board, but I haven't figured out how to manage that yet. wiki.

Laurence said:
Hey Nords, they still sell Crazy Horse out there in the Wiki Wiki marts?
Yikes, I'm going to have to do some "research"... I bet it's more than $2 though!

Ah yes

Way back when I was young - on the West coast - it was Thunderbird wine - the cheap drunk of choice.

SG - one must ululate while saying it. Milk from the nose must be wiped with dryer sheets that say "wiki" on them.

Wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki  :yawn: while ululating . . . milk spew.  milk spew.  Wipe with special wiki dryer sheet.   :crazy:

Wow.  You're right.  That is very satisfying.   :D  Do non- FIREees know about this?

Back
Top Bottom