Forum software upgraded - POST PROBLEMS HERE

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
We'll be getting back to our old look asap, but the appearance changes are a result of new forum software.

Expect a few minor differences as we get it all sorted out...

If something seems broken, and not just different, please note it here...

MOD EDIT: Linked on calendar. -BMJ

Re: Forum software upgraded

FYI: I had trouble logging in. I cleared my cookies, restarted my browser and then was able to log in.

By the way, the "preview" button in posts behaves a little differently...if you think it isn't doing anything, look above your "post reply" section and you'll see your preview there.

There are a handful of modifications to the previous version that will need to be reapplied... these wil be coming as soon as they are tested with the new software version.

BigMoneyJim said:
FYI: I had trouble logging in. I cleared my cookies, restarted my browser and then was able to log in.

By the way, the "preview" button in posts behaves a little differently...if you think it isn't doing anything, look above your "post reply" section and you'll see your preview there.

Hi Dory. I am having the same problem as BMJ. I can't login using Firefox (stay away from those IE only codings) ;-) I opened the site in an IE tab and was able to login. I will clear all the cookies and see if it fixes stuff.

Hmmm -- no problem at my end. I'll add a news item...

dory36 said:
Hmmm -- no problem at my end. I'll add a news item...

No problem just needed to resign in...np spam either

Kathyet

Had to resign in AND make a new password. It didn't like what I was sure was my old one, nor the possible alernatives. Even that only worked after I deleted an earlyretirement.org cookie; I was getting messages saying "(bla bla bla...) check your cookie preferences". (OSX/Safari)

Edit:
Also, I can't seem to get "All unread posts". Going section by section I see the "new" tags, but the message once "unread posts since last visit" are exhausted "see all unread posts" yields no messages. :confused:

Edit #2: "all unread posts" is now working for me today.

Edit #3: ooops.. now it's not. It just gave me a v. truncated list.

I use Firefox on Windows XP. I could not log in. However, after deleting the old cookie, I was able to log in.

No problem :D

Thanks for keeping the site software up to date

Kramer

I cannot connect using Safari, I get a message about cookies but even after deleating them and restarting the program I cannot connect. Internet Exploder will work but I try to never use it. Firefox will not work. So here I am in Explorer land....Still a great site but liked the previous compatibility.

Yakers,

There's hope - I'm on with no problems on my Mac using Firefox. I deleted the cookie for this site and it worked fine. What error message are you getting on your Mac with Firefox?

I restarted Firefox and it works, it looks like Ithere is still a problem with Safari, my regular browser. Thanks.

My login isn't sticky. Need to login each visit. (IE 6.0)

Update: as of Oct 2 login is now stickly.

Still unable to log on using Firefox on any of my 3 PCs

I've deleted the cookies and still nothing

Dory, there is another problem with the new software for those of us that like to review all recent posts. In the new format there are 10 pages of 10 posts, previously, it was one page of 50 posts. 100 posts is better, I find I miss fewer posts when I am away for a few hours (I am ER so 16 hours a day at this site is too close to w**king!!), but when moving from page to page the list of posts is updated so I am missing posts.

E.g. reading page 6, I may take 10 minutes to go through posts 51 to 60. If 3 new posts have occurred during this 10 minutes, when I move to page 5, the posts are numbered 41 to 50 but I am actually reading the posts that were numbered 38 to 47 in my original list.

Is it possible to get one page of 100 recent posts?

I can't seem to hide my email address even though the "hide email" box is checked. :confused: I changed my email address to a fictitious one so the real one won't show.

FIRE'd@51 said:
I can't seem to hide my email address even though the "hide email" box is checked. :confused: I changed my email address to a fictitious one so the real one won't show.

I sent a PM to Dory the other day about this. He said no one else can see it even though it shows to you.

73ss454 said:
I sent a PM to Dory the other day about this. He said no one else can see it even though it shows to you.

Thanks 73ss454. Here's what confuses me. The little email logo (letter + envelope) shows up to the left of my post. I've also noticed that logo on the posts of others (but not everyone). When I click on that logo for other posters it shows me their email address. Now, maybe they intend to show their email addresses, but I'm not sure if that's really the case.

If you look at that person's profile you will be able to tell if the email address shows.

73ss454 said:
If you look at that person's profile you will be able to tell if the email address shows.

I notice on your post you don't have the little email (letter + envelope) picture to the left of your post like I do. When I click on your name, the profile says youe email address is hidden. For the posters who have that little picture, when I click on their name to see their profile, their email address shows. This is also true of mine, and I know I have checked the "hide email" box. When you look at my post, do you see that little picture? Then when you click on my name to see the profile, does it give my email address or is it hidden? Thanks.

FIRE'd@51 said:
Then when you click on my name to see the profile, does it give my email address or is it hidden? Thanks.

Your email is hidden.

Are you sure? It is supposed to always be visible to you, but not to anyone else.

When I look, logged in as non-moderator, all I see is "hidden" on your profile, and no email link by your messages.

I sometimes read this group using the web browser on my Treo 650 portable device. With the new forum software, there is a wireless mode, and a lower bandwidth version of the group is presented (the old software presented the group exactly as if you were on a desktop machine). Unfortunately, the wireless mode is a little too pared down. I miss things like posting time for a post, latest 50 posts which it says are now unavailable in this mode, etc. Not having superfluous graphics is great, though. My device surfs at around 80 kilobits/second with high latency (so it is probably effectively equivalent to dial up because of the nasty latency). But my device could handle more complexity easily.

If there were a way to upgrade the wireless mode to require a little more bandwidth, and thus present a little more info, that would be great :D I do not know if there is a dialable setting in the software for this.

Thanks again for the great work.

Kramer

kramer said:
With the new forum software, there is a wireless mode, and a lower bandwidth version of the group is presented (the old software presented the group exactly as if you were on a desktop machine). Unfortunately, the wireless mode is a little too pared down. I miss things like posting time for a post, latest 50 posts which it says are now unavailable in this mode, etc. Not having superfluous graphics is great, though. My device surfs at around 80 kilobits/second with high latency (so it is probably effectively equivalent to dial up because of the nasty latency). But my device could handle more complexity easily.

If there were a way to upgrade the wireless mode to require a little more bandwidth, and thus present a little more info, that would be great :D I do not know if there is a dialable setting in the software for this.

I used to read the board on my treo (300 *sigh*) as well, and now I use a blackberry. I really like that there is a web version, but I agree that I would like a few more useful fields added back in (if possible). Specifically I would like to see how many replies there are (as large threads are good to read on a pager when bored). That's the main field that I was missing.

In either case, I really like that it's cleaner now.. my device downloads the pages much faster, and it's easier to read without all those images.

Wireless Formats

For the wireless layouts the new software tries to autodetect and send the appropriate layout. But I think you can force it to a different mode.

• wap - Seems to be very bare
  • wap2 - Has unread replies and unread posts option at bottom of main index
  • imode - Seems to have same features as wap2 but looks different

You can manually add the parameter to the url (with "?" or ";" depending) or try (and bookmark if you like) one of these links:

I don't see offhand a way to force it to display as it would to a regular web browser.

I just tried this site on my small-screened cellphone. Cool, it automatically uses the small fast layout and is reasonably responsive on my pitifully slow phone browser.

Back
Top Bottom