Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Given the desired demographic, perhaps the Early Retirement Extreme or Mr. Money Mustache forums might be a better fit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
OK, I am old. But not so old as to have forgotten the day I got my first dinosaur. Mum was afraid that I wouldn't properly care for the little fellow, but Dad talked her into it. Oh the hours of fun we had -- little Winthrop and I -- scampering about in the wood until we heard the roar of Old Nick, the local Tyrannosaur. Then we'd race for the safety of home. Good times indeed.
You think you are old, I still remember the great bisque they used to serve at the Red Trilobite.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
You think you are old, I still remember the great bisque they used to serve at the Red Trilobite.
Hey, what a coincidence.....my great-grandson used to catch those crabs & lobsters!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-31-2015, 06:19 PM   #44

This is beginning to sound familiar.

Quote:
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

ALL: They won't!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

The forum is "early retirement", not "very early retirement". I understand you may have some fairly unique issues, but some of those boring 60 year olds may have been through your situation and you can learn from them if you can stay awake reading their posts. I appreciate people of all ages here. And there are also probably people of all ages I've put on ignore or gloss over their posts.

Start threads on topics you think apply to your kind. Maybe if they are popular enough and enough of them you can have more support for a separate forum. But it seems like you might be more at home elsewhere. And I'm not sure you haven't worn out your welcome here with your attitude in this thread.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Everyone here used to be younger. They either left or got older here. Even a 45 year old wasn't really an "early" retiree. Back in the prerecession day only a curmudgeon thought a 4% was an exceptionally conservative swr what with those CD rates and one could plan on being on easy street with those stock options and start up money just waiting to fund an incredibly well feathered nest egg.

Or maybe the people who say they're in their forties and FI really aren't--might as well take what everyone says as helpful regardless of their supposed age and path, or discount all of it. I haven't needed to know or care about others being from my 1950 birth year since I was 22.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:51 PM   #47

I go to reddit, lately. There are many younger people populating their forums, and far fewer FI. The demographic is the younger mirror of ER.org.

I see a lot of wheel spinning as the just-out-of-college or new professionals struggle with getting started that more experienced have worked their way through. I've picked up a lot getting new perspectives. It challenged me to go back to school for some finance and econ courses. I have improved returns already, with less risk.

I hope that the earliest ER people continue to stay. The mix can do everyone good.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Given the desired demographic, perhaps the Early Retirement Extreme or Mr. Money Mustache forums might be a better fit.

Sadly not quite the demographic I was looking as so few have made it to FIRE and are really just aspirational, it's similar to the young dreamers here.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When you were in high school or college, how did you envision your future? I'm guessing you probably hunted for information that would enhance your career, your financial situation or your quality of life. Well, guess what? Some "older" people also plan for the future. Get over it. Hopefully you will someday be old enough to ask the same questions.

Yes. That's true. And that's what this board is for. But a forum area that's dedicated to age-specific (cycle specific) issues seems practical and helpful. Not to mention as I noted before a chance to get to know the similar aged patrons in here.

Kinda like a bar - some bars the old people go to ... And some the younger people go to. None are denied service.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Yes. That's true. And that's what this board is for. But a forum area that's dedicated to age-specific (cycle specific) issues seems practical and helpful. Not to mention as I noted before a chance to get to know the similar aged patrons in here.

Kinda like a bar - some bars the old people go to ... And some the younger people go to. None are denied service.
So you should start a thread titled "for age group (your choice) only" and see what happens.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
You know, that is actually pretty offensive, not to mention ageist. You are certainly entitled to have whatever feelings you want to have about older people, but it seems more than a little rude to talk publicly about how those younger people are just more interesting.

I also think you are entirely missing the fact that many of those boring old people in the late 50s are older weren't always that age, and may have retired years and years earlier.

There is also the fact that while this form is an Early Retirement forum it does have plenty of people on it who didn't retire too early. I remember when I joined the form and I was 55 or so, I was hesitant at first to even join. I actually think I lurked for quite awhile before joining because I wasn't sure I was young enough to join.

The reality is that because I was uneasy about it, I looked elsewhere for a more general retirement forum and didn't find one. So, here I ended up. And, mostly despite being a decrepit and boring 55 year old, people were welcoming.

I have the feeling though that once we hit 60 (regardless of who old we were when we got here), you would just as soon we went elsewhere. From one of your posts in this thread:

I think you're being overreactive to my comments and a bit defensive. I've never mentioned that I would not be welcoming of all age groups nor that those groups could not join in the age specific area in the forum.

Rather it would be a beacon for folks like me who specifically wanted to find "our people" in this virtual world - Those more similar to us in terms of age, life and retirement cycle, kids, spouse,

And this even becomes relevant for older people too -- imagine those having a slew of kids and grandkids and facing loss of mobility due to health etc -/ compare that to a spinster who never married never had kids and is aging alone. Totally different lifestyles and support networks in later retirement....

You're feeling about me is wrong and purely speculative- I actually value everyone's input. That said, Would we hang out on a Friday night ? Maybe. Every Friday ? Probably not.

I guess I am taking the early retirement too literally. How to prevent this from evolving and becoming another run of the mill retirement board full of normal "I'm 62 and just retired" ho hum discussion boards.

I like to turn up the contrast to get everyone thinking. No one has come up with a reason NOT to offer this, other than maybe a little conservatism or resistance to some evolution or change.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When you were in high school or college, how did you envision your future? I'm guessing you probably hunted for information that would enhance your career, your financial situation or your quality of life. Well, guess what? Some "older" people also plan for the future. Get over it. Hopefully you will someday be old enough to ask the same questions.

And you can get over the fact that there are both younger and older people here who have different questions and many young and old people don't always like how cranky older people are .... Especially in their online responses.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have often thought of various subforums:
Retired
Planning for retirement
Rich
Planning to be rich
Surviving in retirement
American
Everyone else

and I decided that my job was to filter out all the chaff of little interest to me. And I have enjoyed many topics from all the above categories. People could focus more on their topic titles, but hey no one is perfect...
Old 01-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Everyone here used to be younger. They either left or got older here. Even a 45 year old wasn't really an "early" retiree. Back in the prerecession day only a curmudgeon thought a 4% was an exceptionally conservative swr what with those CD rates and one could plan on being on easy street with those stock options and start up money just waiting to fund an incredibly well feathered nest egg.

Or maybe the people who say they're in their forties and FI really aren't--might as well take what everyone says as helpful regardless of their supposed age and path, or discount all of it. I haven't needed to know or care about others being from my 1950 birth year since I was 22.

I doubt very much that there were any more 40-somethings who retired pre recession as post recession. Perhaps a few in 2000 as dot com peaked but not statistically so... In economic cycles, 40's is considered a young retiree by all accounts.

That said, as you point out the rules were different- market returns. 7% Interest rates , SWRs... All different versus today's 40 something retiree... which is exactly why one has to re-consider the excellent advice from the person who retired at 45 some 15 or 20 years ago --that advice may not be at all relevant by today's economic environment yardsticks.. Some situations are similar but some are vastly different.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And time will catch up with early retirees eventually. While I retired at age 52, I'm now 65, so I don't really stick out as an "early retiree" anymore.

Yep. This isn't a "time will catch up with you" discussion. It's a discussion about adding a section where I can discuss with those who ARE early retirees based on their age, and doing it today as an early retiree... 65'ers who may or may not have retired early two decades ago or two weeks ago is a different demographic.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
65'ers who may or may not have retired early two decades ago or two weeks ago is a different demographic.
and you are convinced that you cannot learn from them? Is that what you are saying?
Old 01-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #57
gone traveling

Forum topics by age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
So you want a young and FIREd forum? There is a similar forum at Mr Money Mustache, though I don't think "young" is in the title, but most of the posters who have FIREd are the very early (30's and 40's) retirees.

Yes. That type of forum would be the goal . I don't know if it has to be young and FIREd...or maybe it's " millennial and fired"...gen x and fired.... Late boomer and fired....

ER.org is an exceptional board. The Only one I consistently read. Goal is to make it better.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No one has come up with a reason NOT to offer this, other than maybe a little conservatism or resistance to some evolution or change.
We've come up with a number of reasons not to offer this, which you appear to be unwilling or unable to acknowledge. The primary reason is simple - the folks who run E-R.org created broad forums to be welcoming and encourage all to participate. There is no support by the members of the board for your idea.

But once again, why don't you start a thread for "folks like you" and see how it goes? Even better, why don't you start your own early retirement board and define it like YOU want to define it. Heck, you can even include a section for topics like http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork-79778.html.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #59
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
and you are convinced that you cannot learn from them? Is that what you are saying?

No. I didn't say I can't learn from them. I said they are a different demographic... Kinda Like drinking in a bar.. Some bars carry different demographic of patrons- sports bar. Blues bar. Etc. I go to a sports bar when I want to watch and talk sports... I don't want to talk and listen to blues music when I'm in a sports bar...
Forum topics by age.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #60
gone traveling

Forum topics by age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We've come up with a number of reasons not to offer this, which you appear to be unwilling or unable to acknowledge. The primary reason is simple - the folks who run E-R.org created broad forums to be welcoming and encourage all to participate. There is no support by the members of the board for your idea.

But once again, why don't you start a thread for "folks like you" and see how it goes? Even better, why don't you start your own early retirement board and define it like YOU want to define it. Heck, you can even include a section for topics like http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork-79778.html.

I thought a rule here was no personal attacks ... What happened mods? Oh you ARE a mod so rule doesn't apply ?
Closed Thread