Join Early Retirement Today

Friends
Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Friends

So what does it mean on the board to be someone's "friend?"

Aside from it just being a friendly gesture, does it affect how you contact them, private posts, or any other board function? Does it allow any functions not otherwise available?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

New territory for this board.

Dear Miss Manners,

What's the etiquette for a "friends request"?

If I hardly know the person, is it appropriate to accept their request? Or should I get to know them better first? Or would that impose on them an undue burden of obligation to somehow "earn" the privilege of being accepted as a friend?

If I accept the request, would it be inappropriate to change my mind as the months go by and our "friend"ship develops?

If I don't respond, is that a response? Will vBulletin ever let me "defer" or "table" or even "ignore" their request, or will that damned "Your Notifications" continue to taunt me for eternity with its number greater than zero?

If I reject the request, does that also reject the person and everything they live for? I don't want to give that impression by telling them that we can't even be "just friends".

If, while I'm considering the request, I learn that the requester has also made "friends" requests of many others, should I feel somehow cheapened by their group approach? Is monogamy expected? Is celibacy OK? Or are we all expected to politely participate in polygamy or even orgies?

Frankly this seems to be a minefield of unexpected and unintended consequences. It would appear to be so much easier to defer participation indefinitely.

Sincerely yours, but not yet your "friend",

-- Confused

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rich, other than enabling you to click on "Friends" on your profile page to quickly see if they are online, I'm not aware of any other board functions associated with friend status. Maybe Janet will chime in with additional information.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords if this surfing/angel investing/handyman business doesn't work out. You actually have a future writing for the onion. That was pretty damn funny.

Just wait until you get on Facebook in order to keep in touch with DD and others.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have been unable to find any benefit other than making it so that your profile does not say

"Rich in Tampa does not have any friends."
Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Nords if this surfing/angel investing/handyman business doesn't work out. You actually have a future writing for the onion. That was pretty damn funny.
Thanks. I confess that I ripped that off from Nelson DeMille's "The Gate House", whose main character I find simultaneously funny and pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Just wait until you get on Facebook in order to keep in touch with DD and others.
As if life isn't already busy enough and I don't spend a sufficient portion of my day on the Web...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Monogamy? There's no f-buddy option?
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I want to be his friend, but I think I messed things us between us.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Seems like the whole thing is a little simplistic and one-dimensional. Why only a "will you be my friend" list? How about a "will you join my antagonists" list? "Will you please mock me in front of the crowd" list?

Anyway, friends are way overrated. I say every "friend" is just another person who will eventually ask for a favor. Forget it! Better to be feared! (I could use the Khan picture here).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I want to be in the "openly mock you" list if possible.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Seems like the whole thing is a little simplistic and one-dimensional. Why only a "will you be my friend" list? How about a "will you join my antagonists" list? "Will you please mock me in front of the crowd" list?

Anyway, friends are way overrated. I say every "friend" is just another person who will eventually ask for a favor. Forget it! Better to be feared! (I could use the Khan picture here).
"A friend in need, is a pest."
Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I got a request to be my friend from someone here I'd never heard of. So I figure what the heck, I can OK that request, as long as it doesn't somehow mess things up board-wise.

Then I go to my Control Panel only to find that I have a bunch of friends in high places that I never knew about. Then I worried that maybe I was supposed to contact those people to assure them that I loved them and wanted to be their friend, too.

So then I ask myself, what's the deal? How are they somehow special? Am I supposed to have them over for a beer? Is this a come-on of some sort? Should I feel guilty about not reciprocating these by-now-stale friends?

Then I posted this thread and now I know: no one knows what a friend is, being one has no affect on anything, and yet people use this "feature" pretty regularly.

Life is mysterious.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm just getting into the whole facebooking thing, but one cool thing I've found is that declining a friend request doesn't give any announcement to the requestor, so they don't notice you declined unless they check back. Another thing to know is you can unfriend someone at any time and that is also silent.

So I sometimes practice the middle way: friend everyone who I know that requests it, but then a few weeks later silently unfriend the folks I don't want to be connected to. Kind of like "Oh yeah we should totally do lunch sometime but I can't schedule a time right now".
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I do that. Or I just sort of ignore them and change my home page to get less news from them. That works, too.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I want to be in the "openly mock you" list if possible.
Sorry, it filled up fast. You'll have to settle for "resurrect and quote your old posts when your predictions prove wrong."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm sitting here all full of love and you guys are being kind of pesky to one another.

Y'all need some cuddles.

Ha
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

1. When you are sad -- I will help get you drunk and plot revenge
against the sorry bastard who made you sad.

2. When you are blue -- I will try to dislodge whatever is choking you.

3. When you smile -- I will know you finally got laid.

4. When you are scared -- I will rag on you about it every chance I get.

5. When you are worried -- I will tell you horrible stories about how
much worse it could be and tell you to quit whining.

6. When you are confused -- I will use little words.

7. When you are sick -- Stay the hell away from me until you are well
again. I don't want whatever you have.

8. When you fall -- I will point and laugh at your clumsy ass.
This is my oath...I pledge it till the end. Why? you may ask?

Because you are my friend!

Pygmy.jpg
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

here you go Ha....
Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

bbbamI-perfect, I love it.

Ha
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I found my Friends and Contacts list here
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...p?do=buddylist

I use Friends to tag people who seem to be willing to put up with my twisted sense of humor. Sign right up, folks.
I use Contacts to remember the forum regulars' screen names vs the once-in-a-while visitors.