Join Early Retirement Today

Retiring earlier than planned? Reporter inquiry
Old 10-09-2021, 09:10 AM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

Retiring earlier than planned? Reporter inquiry

Are you facing retirement earlier than you had planned?

I am a journalist working on a story, and I am looking to talk to those who recently found themselves retired or semi-retired, whether by choice or not.

If that sound like you, I’d love to hear from you.

More background on me here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/peterakendall/

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall
Peter Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kendall View Post

I am a journalist working on a story, and I am looking to talk to those who recently found themselves retired or semi-retired, whether by choice or not.

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall
Interested members should contact Peter Kendall by PM or post in this thread.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall
Peter,

Questions:

1. In your LinkedIn post on the same topic, you add an age qualifier ("early 60s" https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...33085520465920). That age qualifier is not here. Does it apply or not?

2. What is the story as you've ascertained it so far, and what is left to be learned from recent retirees?

3. What qualifies as "recently"?

I retired by choice at age 46 about six years ago. I'm not sure if I qualify for your story. I'm also not sure I want to be involved in your story if the storyline has already been determined and you're just looking for supporting anecdotes.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

The early-60's thing puzzled me, too. I didn't "find myself retired" at 57. It was a very deliberate, planned-for decision.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think he is looking for people who recently found themselves retired earlier than 65, and against their will.

Not many people here but maybe one to five?
Old 10-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think he is looking for people who recently found themselves retired earlier than 65, and against their will.

Not many people here but maybe one to five?
Yeah, which makes me think he's already got his story written except for the personal anecdotes. Not really interested in helping a journalist fill in the blanks on their preconceived notions.

He does say "by choice or not". I wonder if his final story will exclude people who retired based on a long plan (like me and most of us here), or if that will just be a side note at the end of the story which will mostly be about people who fell on bad times.

As an aside, I literally can't go one mile in my town without tripping over a zero-skill or low-skill job paying $15 an hour. That's $30K a year full time, which won't get you very far in the big coastal cities but around here is a decent but modest income. Two people that's $60K, which is above the median household income.

Yes, I'm cynical and suspicious of him and his ilk.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
The moderator team vetted this request for approval, so please assume good intent.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
The moderator team vetted this request for approval, so please assume good intent.
Duly noted already. I stand by my opinion.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #69
Administrator

We've handled requests like this in the past. If you are interested, you can PM Mr. Kendall. If you're not interested, then don't. But there is little reason to explain why you are not interested or turn it into a discussion of journalistic method. It only clogs up what is essentially just a "notice" thread.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We've handled requests like this in the past. If you are interested, you can PM Mr. Kendall. If you're not interested, then don't. But there is little reason to explain why you are not interested or turn it into a discussion of journalistic method. It only clogs up what is essentially just a "notice" thread.
I've participated in those requests in the past, and was twice quoted in a national newspaper as a result. I'm conditionally interested in this request as well, and trying to obtain additional information.

In post #62, interested members were advised to either PM Mr. Kendall or post in this thread. As an possibly interested member, I followed those directions and posted here with my questions for Mr. Kendall in post #63.

I will await Mr. Kendall's reply to those questions, either here or via PM.

I will post no more on this notice thread about journalistic method.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #71

Quote:
Peter,

Questions:

1. In your LinkedIn post on the same topic, you add an age qualifier ("early 60s" https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...33085520465920). That age qualifier is not here. Does it apply or not?

2. What is the story as you've ascertained it so far, and what is left to be learned from recent retirees?

3. What qualifies as "recently"?

I retired by choice at age 46 about six years ago. I'm not sure if I qualify for your story. I'm also not sure I want to be involved in your story if the storyline has already been determined and you're just looking for supporting anecdotes.
Thank you for replying.
I am talking to people whose retirement plans were accelerated in the last year or two. For many, that was because of changes in employment. In my LinkedIn post, I defined it as people in their early 60s only because that tends to be the group this applies to.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:55 AM   #72

Quote:
Yeah, which makes me think he's already got his story written except for the personal anecdotes. Not really interested in helping a journalist fill in the blanks on their preconceived notions.

He does say "by choice or not". I wonder if his final story will exclude people who retired based on a long plan (like me and most of us here), or if that will just be a side note at the end of the story which will mostly be about people who fell on bad times.

As an aside, I literally can't go one mile in my town without tripping over a zero-skill or low-skill job paying $15 an hour. That's $30K a year full time, which won't get you very far in the big coastal cities but around here is a decent but modest income. Two people that's $60K, which is above the median household income.

I don't have my story already written (believe me!). I am, however, talking to people who fit into a pretty narrow category -- those who retired earlier than they had planned in the last year or two. I realize that is not everybody. However, it is a large group of people, and I am interested in hearing and telling their stories.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't have my story already written (believe me!). I am, however, talking to people who fit into a pretty narrow category -- those who retired earlier than they had planned in the last year or two. I realize that is not everybody. However, it is a large group of people, and I am interested in hearing and telling their stories.
Mr. Kendall,

Thank you for both of your replies.

Since your qualifications include "earlier than they had planned" and "in the last year or two", I do not meet your criteria.

Good luck with your story.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #74
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Mr. Kendall,

Thank you for both of your replies.

Since your qualifications include "earlier than they had planned" and "in the last year or two", I do not meet your criteria.

Good luck with your story.
I..

Kn6z.
HopefulHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

[Q. 1 boot9s UOTES j7x c m
N.n... . B MM. . .=HopefulHaole;2780828]I..

Kn6z.[/QUOTE]G znn
Am. N.bb.
N y.
HopefulHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulHaole View Post
I..

Kn6z.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulHaole View Post
[Q. 1 boot9s UOTES j7x c m
N.n... . B MM. . .=HopefulHaole;2780828]I..

Kn6z.
I sure hope HH isn't having a stroke.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:33 PM   #77

The cost of healthcare - reporter request

Hello, this is Melanie Evans, I’m a Wall Street Journal Reporter. I write about the cost of medical care, among other things. I’m hoping to better reflect in my stories how households budget for premiums, deductibles and other spending for treatment. I’m hoping to talk to more people about how they make choices and plan for what can be a large and unpredictable expense.

I checked with a forum administrator, who (very promptly!) let me know this is how to make a request to speak with people.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to message me or email me at melanie.evans@wsj.com. I am working on a few stories and will gladly start by describing them. I am also always happy to answer questions about the reporting and editing process at the Journal.

Thanks so much, Melanie
evans_writes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:56 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Good luck to you, Melanie!

(Just testing to see if my posting to this thread fixes something. Feel free to ignore it.)
Old 01-17-2024, 08:15 PM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Good luck to you, Melanie!

(Just testing to see if my posting to this thread fixes something. Feel free to ignore it.)
Funny! I almost ignored this thread until I read your post in the CP thread. Let's see if it works for me.

Tags
early retirement secrets, survey