Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Retiring earlier than planned? Reporter inquiry
Old 10-09-2021, 09:10 AM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Glencoe
Posts: 3
Retiring earlier than planned? Reporter inquiry

Are you facing retirement earlier than you had planned?

I am a journalist working on a story, and I am looking to talk to those who recently found themselves retired or semi-retired, whether by choice or not.

If that sound like you, Id love to hear from you.

More background on me here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/peterakendall/

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall
Peter Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #62
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland again!
Posts: 35,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kendall View Post
Are you facing retirement earlier than you had planned?

I am a journalist working on a story, and I am looking to talk to those who recently found themselves retired or semi-retired, whether by choice or not.

If that sound like you, Id love to hear from you.

More background on me here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/peterakendall/

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall
Interested members should contact Peter Kendall by PM or post in this thread.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
SecondCor521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kendall View Post
Are you facing retirement earlier than you had planned?

I am a journalist working on a story, and I am looking to talk to those who recently found themselves retired or semi-retired, whether by choice or not.

If that sound like you, Id love to hear from you.

More background on me here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/peterakendall/

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall
Peter,

Questions:

1. In your LinkedIn post on the same topic, you add an age qualifier ("early 60s" https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...33085520465920). That age qualifier is not here. Does it apply or not?

2. What is the story as you've ascertained it so far, and what is left to be learned from recent retirees?

3. What qualifies as "recently"?

I retired by choice at age 46 about six years ago. I'm not sure if I qualify for your story. I'm also not sure I want to be involved in your story if the storyline has already been determined and you're just looking for supporting anecdotes.
__________________
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,523
The early-60's thing puzzled me, too. I didn't "find myself retired" at 57. It was a very deliberate, planned-for decision.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
It involved a mannequin hand, and an electric shaver taped to a golf club! - "The Other Guys"
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 7,487
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think he is looking for people who recently found themselves retired earlier than 65, and against their will.

Not many people here but maybe one to five?
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
SecondCor521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think he is looking for people who recently found themselves retired earlier than 65, and against their will.

Not many people here but maybe one to five?
Yeah, which makes me think he's already got his story written except for the personal anecdotes. Not really interested in helping a journalist fill in the blanks on their preconceived notions.

He does say "by choice or not". I wonder if his final story will exclude people who retired based on a long plan (like me and most of us here), or if that will just be a side note at the end of the story which will mostly be about people who fell on bad times.

As an aside, I literally can't go one mile in my town without tripping over a zero-skill or low-skill job paying $15 an hour. That's $30K a year full time, which won't get you very far in the big coastal cities but around here is a decent but modest income. Two people that's $60K, which is above the median household income.

Yes, I'm cynical and suspicious of him and his ilk.
__________________
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #67
Moderator
Aerides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 9,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Yes, I'm cynical and suspicious of him and his ilk.
The moderator team vetted this request for approval, so please assume good intent.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
SecondCor521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
The moderator team vetted this request for approval, so please assume good intent.
Duly noted already. I stand by my opinion.
__________________
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #69
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17,401
We've handled requests like this in the past. If you are interested, you can PM Mr. Kendall. If you're not interested, then don't. But there is little reason to explain why you are not interested or turn it into a discussion of journalistic method. It only clogs up what is essentially just a "notice" thread.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
SecondCor521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We've handled requests like this in the past. If you are interested, you can PM Mr. Kendall. If you're not interested, then don't. But there is little reason to explain why you are not interested or turn it into a discussion of journalistic method. It only clogs up what is essentially just a "notice" thread.
I've participated in those requests in the past, and was twice quoted in a national newspaper as a result. I'm conditionally interested in this request as well, and trying to obtain additional information.

In post #62, interested members were advised to either PM Mr. Kendall or post in this thread. As an possibly interested member, I followed those directions and posted here with my questions for Mr. Kendall in post #63.

I will await Mr. Kendall's reply to those questions, either here or via PM.

I will post no more on this notice thread about journalistic method.
__________________
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #71
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Glencoe
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Peter,

Questions:

1. In your LinkedIn post on the same topic, you add an age qualifier ("early 60s" https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...33085520465920). That age qualifier is not here. Does it apply or not?

2. What is the story as you've ascertained it so far, and what is left to be learned from recent retirees?

3. What qualifies as "recently"?

I retired by choice at age 46 about six years ago. I'm not sure if I qualify for your story. I'm also not sure I want to be involved in your story if the storyline has already been determined and you're just looking for supporting anecdotes.
Thank you for replying.
I am talking to people whose retirement plans were accelerated in the last year or two. For many, that was because of changes in employment. In my LinkedIn post, I defined it as people in their early 60s only because that tends to be the group this applies to.
Peter Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:55 AM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Glencoe
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Yeah, which makes me think he's already got his story written except for the personal anecdotes. Not really interested in helping a journalist fill in the blanks on their preconceived notions.

He does say "by choice or not". I wonder if his final story will exclude people who retired based on a long plan (like me and most of us here), or if that will just be a side note at the end of the story which will mostly be about people who fell on bad times.

As an aside, I literally can't go one mile in my town without tripping over a zero-skill or low-skill job paying $15 an hour. That's $30K a year full time, which won't get you very far in the big coastal cities but around here is a decent but modest income. Two people that's $60K, which is above the median household income.

Yes, I'm cynical and suspicious of him and his ilk.
I don't have my story already written (believe me!). I am, however, talking to people who fit into a pretty narrow category -- those who retired earlier than they had planned in the last year or two. I realize that is not everybody. However, it is a large group of people, and I am interested in hearing and telling their stories.
Peter Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
SecondCor521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kendall View Post
I don't have my story already written (believe me!). I am, however, talking to people who fit into a pretty narrow category -- those who retired earlier than they had planned in the last year or two. I realize that is not everybody. However, it is a large group of people, and I am interested in hearing and telling their stories.
Mr. Kendall,

Thank you for both of your replies.

Since your qualifications include "earlier than they had planned" and "in the last year or two", I do not meet your criteria.

Good luck with your story.
__________________
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
early retirement secrets, survey


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's with the bathroom double sinks as a new standard of bath amenities? Frugalityisthenewblack Other topics 96 02-26-2012 12:08 PM
55 and hoping the timing is realistic sunnysideup Hi, I am... 9 02-24-2012 04:51 PM
Anatomy of the US Taxpayer haha FIRE and Money 15 02-23-2012 04:45 PM
Paying off the mortgage early grows in popularity REWahoo FIRE and Money 164 02-23-2012 04:20 PM
Index funds make the market more volatile?? Chuckanut FIRE and Money 17 02-23-2012 11:10 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.