From the E-R Mailbag

I'm female, over 50, and a proud super saver. If I say I'm really a transgender man, can I play? Oh wait, I'm married :LOL:

How much does it pay, Will a limo pick me up for the interview,? will a 1099 be issued, or a w-2?? Will refreshments be served or are we talking about an expense account 3 martini lunch? Will you provide hair and make up services, must I provide my own wardrobe, or do I get an allowance for that? I see your in Los Angeles so will first class airfare be included. I feel interviews need to be done face to face. Will you extend the stay in L.A. for a few extra days? I might not exactly meet all the requirements but we allow golf talk Tuesdays, weight loss Wednesdays, and funny joke Thursdays conversations on days that dont qualify so Ill throw my hat into the arena. I think I got the Hat into the Arena from Bella Abzug, she went to Columbia too, did you know her?

Folks, I just finished a phone call with Richard Sine and it went very well. He does a professional interview and Men's Health is buying a real no-foolin' article on early retirement. I guess you could say that financial health is part of Men's Health.

The best part of the interview is where he mentioned that I'll be hearing from their fact-checker. It tells me that the magazine is spending the money to do it right. The SEO works so much better when your name is spelled correctly, too...

He's seeking more guys to interview, whether you're still pursuing FI or already FI or already FIRE'd. Fuego, JJac, I think you two would be particularly good interviews because of your age and kids and (JJac) expat lifestyle. ClifP, you'd be great from the perspectives of experience (including two recessions during ER), Hawaii, landlording, and angel investing. That's off the top of my head-- there are probably other posters here who I don't know very well but who are exactly the type of men he'd like to speak with.

If you're a personal-finance blogger who wants to raise his profile: this is one of the ways you do it.

I'm going to e-mail Richard a few names of other people who are either already FI or who are doing a great job of figuring it out. Feel free to contact him directly, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about being interviewed.

Did the article ever get published? If it did do you have a link? Thank you

I was in the article. It appeared in print but not on line. I had to go to the library to find it, the October 2015 issue IIRC. There were only a few sentences written about me, not even worthy of making a photocopy of it.

I was in the article. It appeared in print but not on line. I had to go to the library to find it, the October 2015 issue IIRC. There were only a few sentences written about me, not even worthy of making a photocopy of it.

They followed up with the online version a few months later:
How to Retire 10 Years Earlier | Men's Health

I'm going to e-mail Richard a few names of other people who are either already FI or who are doing a great job of figuring it out.
He must have been impressed with the names I sent him. (Philip Taylor of FinCon & PT Money, Wes Moss, and Billy Kaderli.) My referrals seem to have kept me from making the final cut...

Hmm. While a saver of some accomplishment, in the US and unmarried I think my gal of 39 years would get cranky were I to note that as a featured part of any AARPy article.

He must have been impressed with the names I sent him. (Philip Taylor of FinCon & PT Money, Wes Moss, and Billy Kaderli.) My referrals seem to have kept me from making the final cut...
I had a similar experience. I got my picture above the fold of the business section and a brief paragraph while one of my referrals got several paragraphs along with a bigger picture inside. I rationalized it by thinking the referral got the piece published.

Retiring earlier than planned? Reporter inquiry

Are you facing retirement earlier than you had planned?

I am a journalist working on a story, and I am looking to talk to those who recently found themselves retired or semi-retired, whether by choice or not.

If that sound like you, I’d love to hear from you.

More background on me here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/peterakendall/

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall

I am a journalist working on a story, and I am looking to talk to those who recently found themselves retired or semi-retired, whether by choice or not.

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall
Interested members should contact Peter Kendall by PM or post in this thread.

Thanks for reading!

Peter Kendall

Peter,

Questions:

1. In your LinkedIn post on the same topic, you add an age qualifier ("early 60s" https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6851633085520465920). That age qualifier is not here. Does it apply or not?

2. What is the story as you've ascertained it so far, and what is left to be learned from recent retirees?

3. What qualifies as "recently"?

I retired by choice at age 46 about six years ago. I'm not sure if I qualify for your story. I'm also not sure I want to be involved in your story if the storyline has already been determined and you're just looking for supporting anecdotes.

Reactions: W2R
The early-60's thing puzzled me, too. I didn't "find myself retired" at 57. It was a very deliberate, planned-for decision.

I think he is looking for people who recently found themselves retired earlier than 65, and against their will.

Not many people here but maybe one to five?

I think he is looking for people who recently found themselves retired earlier than 65, and against their will.

Not many people here but maybe one to five?

Yeah, which makes me think he's already got his story written except for the personal anecdotes. Not really interested in helping a journalist fill in the blanks on their preconceived notions.

He does say "by choice or not". I wonder if his final story will exclude people who retired based on a long plan (like me and most of us here), or if that will just be a side note at the end of the story which will mostly be about people who fell on bad times.

As an aside, I literally can't go one mile in my town without tripping over a zero-skill or low-skill job paying $15 an hour. That's $30K a year full time, which won't get you very far in the big coastal cities but around here is a decent but modest income. Two people that's $60K, which is above the median household income.

Yes, I'm cynical and suspicious of him and his ilk.

We've handled requests like this in the past. If you are interested, you can PM Mr. Kendall. If you're not interested, then don't. But there is little reason to explain why you are not interested or turn it into a discussion of journalistic method. It only clogs up what is essentially just a "notice" thread.

We've handled requests like this in the past. If you are interested, you can PM Mr. Kendall. If you're not interested, then don't. But there is little reason to explain why you are not interested or turn it into a discussion of journalistic method. It only clogs up what is essentially just a "notice" thread.

I've participated in those requests in the past, and was twice quoted in a national newspaper as a result. I'm conditionally interested in this request as well, and trying to obtain additional information.

In post #62, interested members were advised to either PM Mr. Kendall or post in this thread. As an possibly interested member, I followed those directions and posted here with my questions for Mr. Kendall in post #63.

I will await Mr. Kendall's reply to those questions, either here or via PM.

I will post no more on this notice thread about journalistic method.

Peter,

Questions:

1. In your LinkedIn post on the same topic, you add an age qualifier ("early 60s" https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6851633085520465920). That age qualifier is not here. Does it apply or not?

2. What is the story as you've ascertained it so far, and what is left to be learned from recent retirees?

3. What qualifies as "recently"?

I retired by choice at age 46 about six years ago. I'm not sure if I qualify for your story. I'm also not sure I want to be involved in your story if the storyline has already been determined and you're just looking for supporting anecdotes.
Thank you for replying.
I am talking to people whose retirement plans were accelerated in the last year or two. For many, that was because of changes in employment. In my LinkedIn post, I defined it as people in their early 60s only because that tends to be the group this applies to.

Yeah, which makes me think he's already got his story written except for the personal anecdotes. Not really interested in helping a journalist fill in the blanks on their preconceived notions.

He does say "by choice or not". I wonder if his final story will exclude people who retired based on a long plan (like me and most of us here), or if that will just be a side note at the end of the story which will mostly be about people who fell on bad times.

As an aside, I literally can't go one mile in my town without tripping over a zero-skill or low-skill job paying $15 an hour. That's $30K a year full time, which won't get you very far in the big coastal cities but around here is a decent but modest income. Two people that's $60K, which is above the median household income.

Yes, I'm cynical and suspicious of him and his ilk.
I don't have my story already written (believe me!). I am, however, talking to people who fit into a pretty narrow category -- those who retired earlier than they had planned in the last year or two. I realize that is not everybody. However, it is a large group of people, and I am interested in hearing and telling their stories.

I don't have my story already written (believe me!). I am, however, talking to people who fit into a pretty narrow category -- those who retired earlier than they had planned in the last year or two. I realize that is not everybody. However, it is a large group of people, and I am interested in hearing and telling their stories.

Mr. Kendall,

Thank you for both of your replies.

Since your qualifications include "earlier than they had planned" and "in the last year or two", I do not meet your criteria.

Good luck with your story.

[Q. 1 boot9s UOTES j7x c m
N.n... . B MM. . .=HopefulHaole;2780828]I..

Kn6z.[/QUOTE]G znn
Am. N.bb.
N y.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom