Getting logged out after inactivity

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Was there a recent change made? I've gotten logged out 3 times after a hour or so of inactivity. Saw it last night for the first time after being offline for a couple hours. Then this morning after being offline overnight, and just now again after being away for only about an hour. I did not shut down my laptop at all. I hit the power button last night which puts it to sleep, but just this morning the screen turned off after inactivity, but no sleep.

Firefox 72.0.2 on Windows 10.

I know, I could do the whole clear cookies, etc, but before going to that trouble I wanted to see if anyone else is seeing this.

When you signed in, did you click the box for "remember me"? It sets a cookie so you don't get logged out. At least, that's how it has been to date. I am unaware of any programming change, but that isn't conclusive since I'm not the one who does them.

When you signed in, did you click the box for "remember me"? It sets a cookie so you don't get logged out. At least, that's how it has been to date. I am unaware of any programming change, but that isn't conclusive since I'm not the one who does them.
I didn't. Before last night I probably hadn't had to log in for months, so something happened to require me to start logging in last night.

I just logged out and back in with that box checked so I'll see if this does it.

Maybe the OP cleared their browser cookies? I sometimes do that when I'm resolving some issue with another website.

Same problem here, and I didn't clear my cookies any time recently.

I did just re-login with the "remember me" button checked. Maybe that will fix things.

However, there was some sort of change, as I haven't had to log in to the site in months, until this morning. And I did not experience this problem on any other website.

(Chrome, Win8.1, [-]Cable One[/-]Sparklight)

Maybe the OP cleared their browser cookies? I sometimes do that when I'm resolving some issue with another website.
I did not. Certainly not 3 times in the last 24 hours.

Just a guess for now.

"As Google rolls out Chrome 80 starting February 4, people could soon become even more frustrated when using the browser. The issue stems from a change to SameSite cookies in the new version of Chrome that could break some websites’ functionality. According to Google, the update will start to come into force from February 17."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateof...-break-websites/?ss=consumertech#694b3f027714

With all browsers (Chrome, FireFox, Adblock Browser, Opera) I've had a feeling that I'm seeing new kinds of cookie behavior, or lack thereof. In general I'm getting chalenged more on questions, and can't seem to narrow down the cause.

Just a guess for now.

"As Google rolls out Chrome 80 starting February 4, people could soon become even more frustrated when using the browser. The issue stems from a change to SameSite cookies in the new version of Chrome that could break some websites’ functionality. According to Google, the update will start to come into force from February 17."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateof...-break-websites/?ss=consumertech#694b3f027714

With all browsers (Chrome, FireFox, Adblock Browser, Opera) I've had a feeling that I'm seeing new kinds of cookie behavior, or lack thereof. In general I'm getting chalenged more on questions, and can't seem to narrow down the cause.

Maybe. I was on Chrome 79.something but it had already downloaded Chrome 80.something and asked me to relaunch Chrome to complete the upgrade. So I did and am now on Chrome 80.

Off for almost 2 hours, and not logged off on my return. Maybe it was some fluke that logged me out the first time, and not checking the box was the cause other times. Overnight will be a better test, but so far, so good.

Off for almost 2 hours, and not logged off on my return. Maybe it was some fluke that logged me out the first time, and not checking the box was the cause other times. Overnight will be a better test, but so far, so good.

Similar for me.

I always read new posts, and if I spend too long on page one, it forces me to requests new posts again to get pages 2 and beyond.

All good this morning. Checking the "Remember Me" box seems to be the key.

Haven't had that issue. So I went to Google properties and saw this just now:

Chrome logo
Google Chrome
Nearly up to date! Relaunch Google Chrome to finish updating. Incognito windows won't reopen.
Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)

So now I'm feeling a slight case; maybe a wee presage of trouble on the horizon..

Haven't had that issue. So I went to Google properties and saw this just now:

Chrome logo
Google Chrome
Nearly up to date! Relaunch Google Chrome to finish updating. Incognito windows won't reopen.
Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)

So now I'm feeling a slight case; maybe a wee presage of trouble on the horizon..

That's what I had, but the chronology indicates to me that you'd be fine to relaunch.

1. I had problems
2. Then I relogged in here and checked remember me
3. Then I saw the above message
4. Then I relaunched

I've been having no troubles since step 2. So the source of the problem is unknown but affected two Chrome users a day or two ago, but it doesn't seem to be related to Chrome 80.

Back
Top Bottom