Join Early Retirement Today

Had not been able to access forum for days..
Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had not been able to access forum for days..

Wondered if anyone else had this problem. Had been trying to get on for the last 3 or 4 days and have been unable to do so. Tonight is the first time and boy am I relieved! I am still seeing some "? marks in some data fields.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow! I'm glad you were able to get back here. Sounds like whatever the problem was, it is better now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

Thanks W2R2...I am too. Strangest thing. I thought the site was down or someone hijacked the url. At one point today, it told me the certificate wasn't valid. Then I wondered if one of the internet backbones had issues but since I wasn't having problems with anything else...didn't think that was it.

I was like..."oh no..how am I going to find everyone..!" I really enjoy this forum!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

and the "edit" button on recent posts is gone. At least from my end.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That is so weird and sounds awful to experience. I wonder if it might be a problem with your internet connection speed or local internet. I am not having those problems here right now, although a couple of times last week it seemed like the site was slow to respond. For me it wasn't slow enough to get an error message, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

No issues here.

Have you gone through the standard troubleshooting stuff (clear cache, try a different browser, try a different computer, try from the same computer but different Internet connection, if possible, etc. etc.)?
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #7

I cleared my cache..and did some of the basics...but did not change browsers or computers. I'm on a Mac. Was not having a problem getting on any other site or with the speeds on my internet accessing other sites. Even placed some Christmas orders. Only had problems with this site. Everything seems fine now. Next time it happens I will troubleshoot more.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Administrator

I'm sorry you had such trouble but am not aware that we had any problems at the site end.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I could not get on a few days ago, for about 36 hours from I think Monday morning through Tuesday night. This was the only site that I couldn't get to. Same thing had also happened a week earlier for about a day.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Could be a bad node somewhere, through which your bits travel.

Another idea is the DNS in your computer system, browser cache and also in the router cache. If you power down all equipment, that clears up a lot of access problems.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #11

I haven't had any problems with accessing this site recently. However
I have had similar problems using ingdirect's automated phone line.
The problem reminds me of OP's........I never have any problem using
any other firm's automated phone line. I am also quite sure (no data)
that some folks would say they never have problem using ingdirect's
phone lines. Assuming you believe all the data, the only thing I can
think of that would explain it, is that both parties(equipment) are partially responsible somehow but only the combination (AND) produces the problem
or the tendency for the problem. With ingdirect, I don't always have the problem but always have the tendency to have the problem......not a robust system. I have no idea on the detailed reasons for that problem .
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #12

Started having the same issues again this morning. Tried it on my husbands laptop. No issues. Am thinking it is my MAC. Apple always sends OS upgrades . Last week I allowed it to update. Just wanted to let you guys know. Issues with my Mac. No issues with Windows pc. Same network, same router...etc. The only variable is the laptop and operating system and web brower.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Started having the same issues again this morning. Tried it on my husbands laptop. No issues. Am thinking it is my MAC. Apple always sends OS upgrades . Last week I allowed it to update. Just wanted to let you guys know. Issues with my Mac. No issues with Windows pc. Same network, same router...etc. The only variable is the laptop and operating system and web brower.
That's better, you've got it narrowed down.

I would try clearing the caches again, then shutting down and restarting everything. A couple times, I've had some really odd things with this site, and though I was skeptical, clearing the cache cleaned it up.

Backing up pref files and trashing them sometimes fixes some oddball things - the pref files will be rebuilt (but some settings will be gone also). I'm not on a Mac much anymore, so maybe search the apple forums for tips on how exactly to do that if you are not sure.

I'm guessing that will all these little icon buttons and such on these pages, and the fact that I open/close many of the windows/tabs in this forum, that a lot of caching goes on. So if one of those files gets corrupted, it seems to throw a wrench (a highly technical software term) into the works.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #14

Thanks ERD50. On husbands computer right now. Cleared caches multiple times, shut down multiple times, verified and repaired disk permissions...and still have problems accessing with MAC. Perhaps it will sort itself out...as it did before. Often we don't know what those wrenches are . Kind of like I used to say when working on software projects, "it went to Software Heaven". This one has me a bit stumped since my Mac is not having issues with any other sites but as you say, there are a lot of icons, graphics and ads. Will search around Apple.com. They wanted $49.00 for a one time consult this morning. Did not want to do that since there was very little concrete info I could give, far too many variables and is more of an annoyance until I can get it figured out. (or until the next software update .
Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks ERD50. On husbands computer right now. Cleared caches multiple times, shut down multiple times, verified and repaired disk permissions...and still have problems accessing with MAC. Perhaps it will sort itself out...as it did before. Often we don't know what those wrenches are . Kind of like I used to say when working on software projects, "it went to Software Heaven". This one has me a bit stumped since my Mac is not having issues with any other sites but as you say, there are a lot of icons, graphics and ads. Will search around Apple.com. They wanted $49.00 for a one time consult this morning. Did not want to do that since there was very little concrete info I could give, far too many variables and is more of an annoyance until I can get it figured out. (or until the next software update .
What browser? Install a different one and try the site.
Could be some wacky certificate problem. Uninstall and reinstall the browser?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #16

no problems on a Macbook (knock, knock) using Chrome
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #17

target2019 , browser is Safari. I think 'll down load Firefox. Kaneohe..if that doesn't work I'll try Chrome.
Minutes pass...on trying to get one of the pages loaded. I'm on my Mac now...but the loading is extremely slow. Not so for every other site I'm on.
If I don't have the problem with Firefox then I'll know it is Safari...probably corrupt file.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #18

Well...I just downloaded Firefox and do not seem to be having the same issues. So it must be Safari. umm. Will probably uninstall and reinstall Safari...just to see.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well...I just downloaded Firefox and do not seem to be having the same issues. So it must be Safari. umm. Will probably uninstall and reinstall Safari...just to see.
Safari can be problematic. Have tons of problems with it on iPhone and Google News, and these just cropped up recently. From time to time it acts up on older Macbook when going to Yahoo Mail.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #20

Hi target 2019. I have a MacBookPro that is not even a year old. While Firefox is better than Safari...page loading is still not as fast as it used to be and neither Safari or Firefox are as fast on this site as they both are on the other sites I go to. When I have the time I will continue to play with it, investigate it...etc. First time this has happened so ..something has changed. Just don't know what yet.