Has age been considered as an optional field in member profile?

KCGeezer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm wondering if the wise and wonderful admins have had this discussion. An easy reference of age at retirement in member profile for those members who wish to enter it could allow others to more easily get a sense of the perspective of the person posting in a thread. It seems that many times that perspective could minimize misunderstands and tangents. Some of the tangents are entertaining though!

Just a thought.

Of course people could lie about it.
And then there is the non-biased way you have to read a post when you have no clue as to the age, sometimes even the sex of the poster.

People could post it by editing their Location. (I addded Old and Cold to mine.)

I don’t think showing a poster’s age would be either necessary or desirable. There are enough privacy concerns as it is. If one is interested in learning more about a poster’s demographics, one can go to the profile, previous posts, and click on his or her introductory post, which is where most people share as much information as they are comfortable with.

How can you be 14 now when your sig line says you retired in 2005 at age 58?

Numbers is hard. See below...

ken.jpg

As with most things, it quickly gets too complicated.

A 45-year-old who has been retired for years, or a 65-year-old in the throes of OMY syndrome -- how does the age really give you their perspective?

FWIW, I'm old enough to know better, but still working out the nuances.

As with most things, it quickly gets too complicated.

A 45-year-old who has been retired for years, or a 65-year-old in the throes of OMY syndrome -- how does the age really give you their perspective?

FWIW, I'm old enough to know better, but still working out the nuances.

Very true. Would we be talking about chronological age or mental age? Because in my case they are worlds apart. :D

Kidding aside, I agree with previous posters that posting ages would be a privacy issue (for me).

Last edited:
I was just thinking that it would be nice to see the retirement date (or planned retirement date) for people. Knowing whether a person has been retired 20 years, 20 days, or just hopes to someday helps to add some perspective to their posts. I don't think knowing their age would help as much.

I was just thinking that it would be nice to see the retirement date (or planned retirement date) for people.

If you allow it to be displayed, that is one of the items in the "About Me" section of your profile.

If you allow it to be displayed, that is one of the items in the "About Me" section of your profile.

Oh - I see. But I meant it would be nice to see that in the info you see to the left of every post - along with join date, number of posts, etc.

Thanks Janet H, was just curious if it had been considered. I understand privacy concerns could easily outweigh any gain in perspective.

I was just thinking that it would be nice to see the retirement date (or planned retirement date) for people. Knowing whether a person has been retired 20 years, 20 days, or just hopes to someday helps to add some perspective to their posts. I don't think knowing their age would help as much.

+1 on this frame of reference.

My thrill for real estate and disdain for bonds at 50 with 2MY's is a different frame of reference then someones disdain for real estate and love of bonds at 82, and retired.

On the contrary, numbers are easy:

You're right. Answers is hard ;)

Maybe we need a petition for ReWahoo to change his sig? :D

On edit: please don't send me Pms about the rotten grammar in this post. It's ReWahoos fault...

Note also that some posters indicate age in their sig lines - strictly voluntary of course. And yes, I just turned 14.

That be dog years?
edit: added below as I overcame (briefly) my ennui and looked up the spelling of "Schnauzer." Found the spelling and a whole lot more.

More specifically Schnauzer years:

StandardSchnauzerhero.jpg

• Personality: Smart, fearless, sometimes willful; spirited, but ever reliable
  • Energy Level: Very Active; Off-leash romping and dog-and-owner playtime keep them physically and mentally fit
  • Good with Children: Yes
  • Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
  • Shedding: Infrequent, Hypoallergenic
  • Grooming: Weekly
  • Trainability: Responds Well
  • Height: 18.5-19.5 inches (male), 17.5-18.5 inches (female)
  • Weight: 35-50 pounds (male), 30-45 pounds (female)
  • Life Expectancy: 13-16 years
  • Barking Level: Barks When Necessary

Last edited:
I never cared about the posters age, especially now that I recently turned 7 Oh.

I am 29...
Displaying age info (which we ask you for at registration) would most likely be considered a privacy concern for most folks.

We ask for that age info to deal with the legal issues associated with young posters. You need to be 13 to post without parental consent. https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rul...ings/childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule

Good to know, my Son will be 13 in a few months. He currently has about $3.5 million ( GTA5) stashed in Los Santos Bank. He wants to buy a yacht and I have told him he should buy a warehouse for his car collection, as you can steal a yacht anytime you want one!

How can you be 14 now when your sig line says you retired in 2005 at age 58?

Have you seen the movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"?

I'm just 21 (Celsius).

Conversion:
  • Subtract 32
  • Multiply the result by 5
  • Divide by 9

Back
Top Bottom