Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The delayed response I noticed a while back is gone. It was a bit quirky but not a real bother.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just made a post and the page is still trying to refresh, 60 seconds later. This has been an ongoing problem for me over the past couple of weeks.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

After reading some of the comments here, I decided to clear my browsing history and cache (but not cookies), and the pages load noticeably faster. As soon as the ads fill up on the right side, the loading process finishes. If I am clicking on a previously viewed thread, it takes me to the right spot sooner too. I have a Windows PC (7) and use Chrome.

OK, maybe I spoke too soon. I said "noticeably faster", but maybe more like "slightly faster".
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
After reading some of the comments here, I decided to clear my browsing history and cache (but not cookies), and the pages load noticeably faster. As soon as the ads fill up on the right side, the loading process finishes. If I am clicking on a previously viewed thread, it takes me to the right spot sooner too. I have a Windows PC (7) and use Chrome.
This is very interesting to me (a little geeky).

It appears for sure that it is one or more of the advertisers that has some sort of delay occurring in responding to ER page loads. The page does not scroll to the last post (or allow menu pull-downs) until all the ads have finished loading.

It could be that the reason different people are all having differing experiences may actually be due to their PREVIOUS browsing habits -- and therefore which ads are requested to show up on their loading of the page.

Interesting.....
Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #45

I downloaded Chrome on my Mac and it seems to work better. On Safari I can't even get the "Quicklinks" drop down box to drop down. Is there some way to clear things out in Safari? The only thing I could find was to clear the history.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Any way to capture what a webpage is waiting for? I see several, long "Waiting...." with various URL's at the bottom left corner of my Chrome browser when I click on different threads on E-R org site, but they go too fast and I cannot catch them, but it sure waits for a long time for some of the URL's that each page hits (and each page hits a bunch of URL's to bring the whole screen up.) I think, depending on which URL it's hitting, the loading time can get really long.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Is there some way to clear things out in Safari? The only thing I could find was to clear the history.

https://support.apple.com/guide/safa...ri47acf5d6/mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265
Old 01-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #48

Thanks! I was thinking there must be more to it than that, but clearing the history did seem to resolve the strange behavior. Go figure!
Old 01-27-2018, 04:14 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
This is very interesting to me (a little geeky).

It appears for sure that it is one or more of the advertisers that has some sort of delay occurring in responding to ER page loads. The page does not scroll to the last post (or allow menu pull-downs) until all the ads have finished loading.

It could be that the reason different people are all having differing experiences may actually be due to their PREVIOUS browsing habits -- and therefore which ads are requested to show up on their loading of the page.

Interesting.....
+1

I have also thought that some advertiser doesn't respond quickly.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Well, I just had one of my now-frequent outages on ER.org (no other site is affected). I received this message, which seems to indicate a server issue at ER.org.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48456906-CA8C-491F-84E7-F1B825D92643.jpg (218.4 KB, 10 views)
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:11 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I just looked and it looks like my BOCK POP UP is set on. Is the best or turn if off for better performance? I'm not sure what off means or on means for best working condition.
Thanks
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Well, I just had one of my now-frequent outages on ER.org (no other site is affected). I received this message, which seems to indicate a server issue at ER.org.
I do get those once in a great long while, perhaps once every other month. It fixes itself in a minute or two so the glitch may not be at er.org, but anywhere along the way.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Any way to capture what a webpage is waiting for? I see several, long "Waiting...." with various URL's at the bottom left corner of my Chrome browser when I click on different threads on E-R org site, but they go too fast and I cannot catch them, but it sure waits for a long time for some of the URL's that each page hits (and each page hits a bunch of URL's to bring the whole screen up.) I think, depending on which URL it's hitting, the loading time can get really long.
For Firefox, you can use the "Developer" pull down from the far upper right icon (3 lines).

For Chrome, you can use the "More Tools -> Developer Tools" pull down from the far upper right icon (3 vertical dots).

You can get all kinds of good internal information and traces of the different http requests, waits, timeouts, etc.

I'd do it, but honestly it is too much like w*rk. When I retire, I'll help. For now, I'll leave it up to all you free time retired folks.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

This is the only site that has recently been having loading problems for me, on all of my devices.

Since other users are having similar problems, the site seems to be implicated.

BTW, hope its not using Wordpress, which has all kinds of vulnerabilities. One recent one has infected 2000 sites with keylogger malware installed.

Other Wordpress sites have been discovered to have crypto mining malware installed. Actually that kind of malware has infected other types of sites as well.

Is the server being maintained with all the security updates?
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

is the server being maintained with all the security updates?
Да, мой друг, конечно!
Old 01-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
This is the only site that has recently been having loading problems for me, on all of my devices.

Since other users are having similar problems, the site seems to be implicated.
Or one of its affiliates/ad-networks

BTW, hope its not using Wordpress, which has all kinds of vulnerabilities. One recent one has infected 2000 sites with keylogger malware installed.
Pretty sure that the software here has nothing in common with WP.

Other Wordpress sites have been discovered to have crypto mining malware installed. Actually that kind of malware has infected other types of sites as well.

Is the server being maintained with all the security updates?
See my inline comments above.

gauss
"just a user"
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Or one of its affiliates/ad-networks
Since it appears those using an ad-blocker aren't having any issues, I think this is the culprit.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I'm using ad blockers ...
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #59

Never mind...
Old 01-31-2018, 03:26 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
For Firefox, you can use the "Developer" pull down from the far upper right icon (3 lines).

For Chrome, you can use the "More Tools -> Developer Tools" pull down from the far upper right icon (3 vertical dots).

You can get all kinds of good internal information and traces of the different http requests, waits, timeouts, etc.

I'd do it, but honestly it is too much like w*rk. When I retire, I'll help. For now, I'll leave it up to all you free time retired folks.
No you won't. Cause after you retire you will be too busy! After you retire, you don't stay all night working on some network trace. 😁
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote