Having trouble with quotes

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi, could someone give me a few quick pointers about quoting parts of other people's messages in my posts? I thought all I'd need was to include the leading and trailing "quote" code in my post, and everything in between would automatically look like a quote, but it's not working that way.

I noticed that a Mod has already had to go in and edit one of my posts because of this error, so I'd like to know how to fix it myself.

Thanks!

Amethyst

Hi, could someone give me a few quick pointers about quoting parts of other people's messages in my posts?
Sure...

Click the "quote" button and a reply box will open up with the entire post quoted. You will note the quote begins with
xxxxxx said:
and ends with ["slash"quote].

Delete whatever portions of the quote you want to remove, being sure to leave the part you wish to quote in place, and make sure you do not remove either the beginning or ending text enclosed with [ ].

Feel free to practice by quoting only this last line of my post in your reply.

Sure...

Delete whatever portions of the quote you want to remove, being sure to leave the part you wish to quote in place, and make sure you do not remove either the beginning or ending text enclosed with [ ].

Feel free to practice by quoting only this last line of my post in your reply.

Hope this works. I thought that's what I had been doing, but there is a reason why I didn't become a programmer....I tend to miss characters, and hate to de-bug!

Hi, could someone give me a few quick pointers about quoting parts of other people's messages in my posts?

I noticed that a Mod has already had to go in and edit one of my posts because of this error, so I'd like to know how to fix it myself.

Thanks!

Amethyst

It's redduck just practicing.

But, can we take this one step further? How can I incorporate quotes from two different posts, putting them into my own post?

Thank you.

Looks like you managed to do just fine...:)

It's redduck just practicing.

But, can we take this one step further? How can I incorporate quotes from two different posts, putting them into my own post?

Thank you.

This is from a non-geek. I always forget how to do this: Mark the square at upper right of post, then click the + sign to the right of quote at bottom of post, then do the same with second (or more) post(s), then click quote on last post. I see this needs to be done in the order you want the quotes to show up. If that's not clear, an admin. may be able to explain it better.

This is from a non-geek. I always forget how to do this: Mark the square at upper right of post, then click the + sign to the right of quote at bottom of post, then do the same with second (or more) post(s), then click quote on last post. I see this needs to be done in the order you want the quotes to show up. If that's not clear, an admin. may be able to explain it better.

CuppaJoe,

I think I'll make myself a cup of low-acid coffee and then lie down.:)

Thanks. At least you seemed to have pulled it off. Besides, there's hardly ever two really important quotes in any thread that need to be re-quoted in any given post. Am I bitter or what?:banghead:

The REALLY low-tech way to do it, without using the nifty software feature that CuppaJoe showed us, is as follows:

(1) push the quote button for the first post. Copy it (highlight, and Alt-C). Do not save. Hit the back button.

(2) Then push the quote button for the second post. Put your cursor at the beginning of the quote that you now see. Paste the prior quotation there (Alt-V).

(3) Now, delete whatever you need to from within the quotations but without disturbing the
poster1 said:
or [/ quote] around the first quotation, or the similar codes around the second quotation.

(4) Be sure to add a comment either before or after the quotations, or you will get a message that your post is too short.

Ahhh...c'mon...live a little! >:D

I avoid the multi-quote button. Someone could get hurt. ;)
Maybe one of these days I'll try it out.
When I first came to the board, the Quote thing got me also.

UPDATED: I kept clicking the Multiquote button and nothing happened. Doh!

I do believe I did it right. It took me a minute to figure out I needed to click the Multiquote button on 2 different posts :whistle:then hit the regular Quote button.

I do believe I did it right. It took me a minute to figure out I needed to click on 2 different posts :whistle:then hit the regular Quote button. I kept clicking the Multiquote button and nothing happened. Doh!

Hmmmm....I click multi-quote..then another multi-quote, then post reply and type my msg....

I did it YOOOOOUUUUURRRRR way :whistle:...piece of cake. :D

Another QUOTE issue:

As long as we are on the subject of quotes, I will repeat another request for a feature that is in other forum SW:

It would be nice if when you quoted someone, the quotes that THEY used were included - w/o that, you often lose the context of the message. Yes, you can do the copy/paste thing, but that is a bit of work, and the formatting seems to get screwed up anyhow.

Example:

Post #1
--------------------------------
Poster A: The Sun rises in the West
-------------------------------

Post #2
--------------------------------
Poster A: The Sun rises in the West

Poster B: Yes, I agree - good thinking!

Post # 142 (referring back to older posts, so the continuity may not be obvious
Poster B: Yes, I agree - good thinking!

No, I don't think that is right, try wiki

OK, w/o the included quote from Poster A, we have no idea what they are agreeing/disagreeing about in post # 142. As I said, other forum SW includes the quoted quotes. You can easily delete them if they are superfluous.

-ERD50

The REALLY low-tech way to do it, without using the nifty software feature that CuppaJoe showed us, is as follows:

(1) push the quote button for the first post. Copy it (highlight, and Alt-C). Do not save. Hit the back button.

(2) Then push the quote button for the second post. Put your cursor at the beginning of the quote that you now see. Paste the prior quotation there (Alt-V).

(3) Now, delete whatever you need to from within the quotations but without disturbing the [ quote=poster1 ] or [/ quote] around the first quotation, or the similar codes around the second quotation.

(4) Be sure to add a comment either before or after the quotations, or you will get a message that your post is too short.

The super duper low tech way: type in [ quote ] (but close up the brackets), retype the stuff you want to quote, then type in [ /quote ] (again, close up the brackets).

The super duper low tech way: type in [ quote ] (but close up the brackets), retype the stuff you want to quote, then type in [ /quote ] (again, close up the brackets).

That works quite nicely too (though it doesn't show who you were quoting, but then again who cares?) :D

That works quite nicely too (though it doesn't show who you were quoting, but then again who cares?) :D

Another tip--make up a new name for a poster within the quote--it looks so official :) and sometimes people don't even notice :)

I forgot the original low tech way to quote--retype what you want to quote, use these funky old-fashioned punctuation marks (" and ") :)

It would be nice if when you quoted someone, the quotes that THEY used were included ....
-ERD50

I agree with the spirit of what ERD50 is saying about quote context in post #18. I like to see the shortest possible quotes with some paraphrasing for context. But that's just me, there are a lots of ways to skin a cat or to quote.
-----
A pet peeve of mine is that I would like to always see copied or quoted material acknowledged: "As NewbieMember said, "....," or according to Wiki, or this popped up on Google images, or I found this on sillyjoke.com.

I agree with the spirit of what ERD50 is saying about quote context in post #18.
A couple years ago we tried nested quotes on this board for a while and it drove us nuts. Let's not repeat that experiment...

A couple years ago we tried nested quotes on this board for a while and it drove us nuts. Let's not repeat that experiment...
What Nords said.

And for those of you who need more info on "nested quotes", that's the format used in our PM system. A few replies to replies and things get very confusing.

What Nords said.

And for those of you who need more info on "nested quotes", that's the format used in our PM system. A few replies to replies and things get very confusing.

Very true, there *is* a downside. If it is the default mode, and posters aren't judicious in deleting the previously quoted content that is not pertinent, you can get each post as long as the thread and it just grows exponentially. That gets old real quick.

The forums I'm thinking of, it is the default though. It does get out of hand from time to time, usually not too bad though. I have no idea if any forum SW supports it as an option on a post-by-post basis.

Like any tool, it can be used for both good and evil ;)

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom