How Does the IGNORE Function Work?

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My understanding is that when you put someone on IGNORE, you can't see their posts and they cannot see yours. I notice that I cannot see posts from the IGNORED unless I click an "unhide" link. However, I regularly get responses from the IGNORED to my posts, so it appears that my posts are visible to them.

Do I understand correctly how this function works?

You are correct. Putting someone on ignore does not hide your posts from them.

My understanding is that when you put someone on IGNORE, you can't see their posts and they cannot see yours. I notice that I cannot see posts from the IGNORED unless I click an "unhide" link. However, I regularly get responses from the IGNORED to my posts, so it appears that my posts are visible to them.

Do I understand correctly how this function works?

Think of it, from your perspective, as the online equivalent of closing your eyes and sticking your fingers in your ears - while the ignoree can still see and hear you. :D

I am not sure how it works here, but on another forum, ignoring someone didn't prevent you from seeing a 3rd person's responses where they quoted the ignored poster.

You are correct. Putting someone on ignore does not hide your posts from them.
Is this new? I've used the function for years and in the past, it did hide my posts. I gleaned this from the content of subsequent posts by the IGNORED, indicating my posts were not visible to them.

Is this new? I've used the function for years and in the past, it did hide my posts. I gleaned this from the content of subsequent posts by the IGNORED, indicating my posts were not visible to them.

Maybe they were also ignoring you, but have since decided to give you another chance?

I am not sure how it works here, but on another forum, ignoring someone didn't prevent you from seeing a 3rd person's responses where they quoted the ignored poster.

That is the same here.

Right, that has always been true, as far as I know.

Maybe they were also ignoring you, but have since decided to give you another chance?
Good point. Maybe I need to encourage them to add me to their list.

That's interesting. This is such a well behaved forum, I can only think of one person who irks me a little, but nowhere near enough for me to want to ignore him/her. Most of the people I find annoying are the ones who blast in here with new accounts, announcing to all the world how wonderful they are, because they've just discovered an amazing new penny stock that is guaranteed to make everyone rich (or some other shaky idea), proceed to tout their opinions as incontrovertible fact and then, when called on to explain themselves in further detail, cannot stand the heat and exit swiftly (or are "exited").

However, I am very good at wearing blinkers, and ignoring anything that doesn't interest me intensely. It's almost as if it doesn't exist for me. It's rather like my own built-in ignore function.

That's interesting. This is such a well behaved forum, I can only think of one person who irks me a little, but nowhere near enough for me to want to ignore him/her. Most of the people I find annoying are the ones who blast in here with new accounts, announcing to all the world how wonderful they are, because they've just discovered an amazing new penny stock that is guaranteed to make everyone rich (or some other shaky idea), proceed to tout their opinions as incontrovertible fact and then, when called on to explain themselves in further detail, cannot stand the heat and exit swiftly (or are "exited").

However, I am very good at wearing blinkers, and ignoring anything that doesn't interest me intensely. It's almost as if it doesn't exist for me. It's rather like my own built-in ignore function.

I agree, a very well behaved and informative forum.

Your tolerance is admirable. I've reached a point in my life where I find I'm happier without some people in it. I especially like the way Facebook handles their blocking function - once you block someone they are GONE. I don't see their posts and they don't see mine, it is a very clean break.

Your tolerance is admirable. I've reached a point in my life where I find I'm happier without some people in it. I especially like the way Facebook handles their blocking function - once you block someone they are GONE. I don't see their posts and they don't see mine, it is a very clean break.

It's not so much tolerance, as a lack of awareness of my surroundings :LOL: I have blocked one or two people on FB though, which has a greater ability to annoy me than more traditional forums like this one. It seems to me that all the world's idiots and charlatans are on FB.

A few years ago, I hit the IGNORE button on the most frequent poster of a different forum using the same software as this one.

After a while, I undid it because the forum wasn't making sense with so many posts hidden. The offender hasn't gone away, but has quieted down.

Have not found the need to use that feature. I prefer to experience posters in all their glory.

I just checked. I have 101 people on ignore. Probably a record here. I thought it might be 20 or 30. I bet many of them are gone traveling or left on their own, and I just put them on ignore before the mods took care of them.

Some are people I've clashed with too much, and don't get much value out of their posts anyway. I'm sure most are good people but it keeps me out of petty arguments which are as much my doing as theirs. And if I want to read a post of theirs I just click on "View Post", and that's a reminder not to overreact. So I don't actually ignore all of the people I have on ignore, it's just a flag to warn me not to get into it with them. I wind up seeing many posts anyway, when people quote them.

101 sounds like a lot, but there are 33266 registered members here, and that number doe not include banned users. Only a little more than 1/3 have posted but that's still over 12,000. So I haven't ignored more than 99% of posters. :flowers:

I don't have anyone on ignore... but I use the "virtual ignore" function a lot... that's where I am skimming a thread - see a post by a user that annoys me... and scroll past it rather than giving it the time of day. Or it may be a poster that I enjoy most of the time, but the topic has drifted and I'm not interested in the drifted topic. Much easier to scroll on by, or hit the back button.

As for facebook. I don't block people - I just 'unfollow' them... They stop showing in my feed and that's good enough. I have IRL friends who post more stuff on facebook than I'm interested in. (Yeah, the cat is cute... yeah, your coffee run was great... I don't care.) Again - I just scroll on by.

For me the posts and members are fascinating.

Back in my working days one senior exec and I had a strong mutual dislike, but I learned from him and was a better manager as a result. So, no ignores for me.

I don't have anyone on ignore... but I use the "virtual ignore" function a lot.

Same here, but I have to admit that on another forum I frequent there is one member who posts a lot that I put on ignore a couple of years ago. I've enjoyed that forum so much more since then that it was definitely the right thing to do.

I could find ignore thread more useful to avoid those threads that I know will just degenerate into angst or drama.

I think it is topics more than posters. But I'm pretty laissez-faire.

I haven't ignored yet but there was one poster that I was tempted to, until they were sent packing. They had about 100 posts before the mods showed them the door and a majority of those were attacking other members in some form or fashion. I don't agree with everyone, but similar to in life...I still nod and wave even if we don't always see eye to eye. I am certain I am ignored by a few as even in my personal life folks have done this to me, which is fine and it's their choice.

Yeah an ignore thread function would be nice. I keep opening the threads that I previously opened and decided I didn't want to read.

Yeah an ignore thread function would be nice. I keep opening the threads that I previously opened and decided I didn't want to read.

I believe there is an ignore thread function.

Attachments

• C6EC1EEB-022A-405E-90EF-DA90FC69BBBC.jpeg
    C6EC1EEB-022A-405E-90EF-DA90FC69BBBC.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 18
There's been times when I wanted to put myself on Ignore! :LOL:

This is both funny and true! Every now and then when I find myself jacked up and angry, just posting away, I step back and take a break of a few weeks or months. This is my ignore to myself and my gift to you all.

Similarly, sometimes I see a poster in overdrive just posting without thought, or repeating the same thing 1,000 times, and I'll ignore them. Eventually, I un-ignore after they calm down. I prefer to keep my list to only 2, 1 or 0.

Back
Top Bottom