Join Early Retirement Today

How Does the IGNORE Function Work?
Old 12-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How Does the IGNORE Function Work?

My understanding is that when you put someone on IGNORE, you can't see their posts and they cannot see yours. I notice that I cannot see posts from the IGNORED unless I click an "unhide" link. However, I regularly get responses from the IGNORED to my posts, so it appears that my posts are visible to them.

Do I understand correctly how this function works?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Administrator

You are correct. Putting someone on ignore does not hide your posts from them.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My understanding is that when you put someone on IGNORE, you can't see their posts and they cannot see yours. I notice that I cannot see posts from the IGNORED unless I click an "unhide" link. However, I regularly get responses from the IGNORED to my posts, so it appears that my posts are visible to them.

Do I understand correctly how this function works?
Think of it, from your perspective, as the online equivalent of closing your eyes and sticking your fingers in your ears - while the ignoree can still see and hear you.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not sure how it works here, but on another forum, ignoring someone didn't prevent you from seeing a 3rd person's responses where they quoted the ignored poster.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You are correct. Putting someone on ignore does not hide your posts from them.
Is this new? I've used the function for years and in the past, it did hide my posts. I gleaned this from the content of subsequent posts by the IGNORED, indicating my posts were not visible to them.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Is this new? I've used the function for years and in the past, it did hide my posts. I gleaned this from the content of subsequent posts by the IGNORED, indicating my posts were not visible to them.
Maybe they were also ignoring you, but have since decided to give you another chance?
Old 12-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I am not sure how it works here, but on another forum, ignoring someone didn't prevent you from seeing a 3rd person's responses where they quoted the ignored poster.
That is the same here.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Right, that has always been true, as far as I know.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Maybe they were also ignoring you, but have since decided to give you another chance?
Good point. Maybe I need to encourage them to add me to their list.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:52 PM   #10

That's interesting. This is such a well behaved forum, I can only think of one person who irks me a little, but nowhere near enough for me to want to ignore him/her. Most of the people I find annoying are the ones who blast in here with new accounts, announcing to all the world how wonderful they are, because they've just discovered an amazing new penny stock that is guaranteed to make everyone rich (or some other shaky idea), proceed to tout their opinions as incontrovertible fact and then, when called on to explain themselves in further detail, cannot stand the heat and exit swiftly (or are "exited").

However, I am very good at wearing blinkers, and ignoring anything that doesn't interest me intensely. It's almost as if it doesn't exist for me. It's rather like my own built-in ignore function.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
That's interesting. This is such a well behaved forum, I can only think of one person who irks me a little, but nowhere near enough for me to want to ignore him/her. Most of the people I find annoying are the ones who blast in here with new accounts, announcing to all the world how wonderful they are, because they've just discovered an amazing new penny stock that is guaranteed to make everyone rich (or some other shaky idea), proceed to tout their opinions as incontrovertible fact and then, when called on to explain themselves in further detail, cannot stand the heat and exit swiftly (or are "exited").

However, I am very good at wearing blinkers, and ignoring anything that doesn't interest me intensely. It's almost as if it doesn't exist for me. It's rather like my own built-in ignore function.
I agree, a very well behaved and informative forum.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

Your tolerance is admirable. I've reached a point in my life where I find I'm happier without some people in it. I especially like the way Facebook handles their blocking function - once you block someone they are GONE. I don't see their posts and they don't see mine, it is a very clean break.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Your tolerance is admirable. I've reached a point in my life where I find I'm happier without some people in it. I especially like the way Facebook handles their blocking function - once you block someone they are GONE. I don't see their posts and they don't see mine, it is a very clean break.
It's not so much tolerance, as a lack of awareness of my surroundings I have blocked one or two people on FB though, which has a greater ability to annoy me than more traditional forums like this one. It seems to me that all the world's idiots and charlatans are on FB.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:17 AM   #14

A few years ago, I hit the IGNORE button on the most frequent poster of a different forum using the same software as this one.

After a while, I undid it because the forum wasn't making sense with so many posts hidden. The offender hasn't gone away, but has quieted down.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Have not found the need to use that feature. I prefer to experience posters in all their glory.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I just checked. I have 101 people on ignore. Probably a record here. I thought it might be 20 or 30. I bet many of them are gone traveling or left on their own, and I just put them on ignore before the mods took care of them.

Some are people I've clashed with too much, and don't get much value out of their posts anyway. I'm sure most are good people but it keeps me out of petty arguments which are as much my doing as theirs. And if I want to read a post of theirs I just click on "View Post", and that's a reminder not to overreact. So I don't actually ignore all of the people I have on ignore, it's just a flag to warn me not to get into it with them. I wind up seeing many posts anyway, when people quote them.

101 sounds like a lot, but there are 33266 registered members here, and that number doe not include banned users. Only a little more than 1/3 have posted but that's still over 12,000. So I haven't ignored more than 99% of posters.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #17

I don't have anyone on ignore... but I use the "virtual ignore" function a lot... that's where I am skimming a thread - see a post by a user that annoys me... and scroll past it rather than giving it the time of day. Or it may be a poster that I enjoy most of the time, but the topic has drifted and I'm not interested in the drifted topic. Much easier to scroll on by, or hit the back button.

As for facebook. I don't block people - I just 'unfollow' them... They stop showing in my feed and that's good enough. I have IRL friends who post more stuff on facebook than I'm interested in. (Yeah, the cat is cute... yeah, your coffee run was great... I don't care.) Again - I just scroll on by.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

There's been times when I wanted to put myself on Ignore!
Old 01-10-2022, 03:08 PM   #19
Administrator

For me the posts and members are fascinating.

Back in my working days one senior exec and I had a strong mutual dislike, but I learned from him and was a better manager as a result. So, no ignores for me.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I don't have anyone on ignore... but I use the "virtual ignore" function a lot.
Same here, but I have to admit that on another forum I frequent there is one member who posts a lot that I put on ignore a couple of years ago. I've enjoyed that forum so much more since then that it was definitely the right thing to do.