Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
32 on my "Ignore Poster" list, which doesn't count the users who've been banned.
I was wondering if my 12 was a high number.
I agree with your other comments.
txs
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I have three or four on ignore, and it's strictly the one-note wonders. I found that I kept clicking "view post" on anyone who managed to write something different from time to time, so that cut down on my use of the feature.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I have 3 on my ignore list (not you), 2 of them seem to have left the forum on their own.

This will be a better place once again after the elections when everyone, myself included, becomes more civil.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'm only answering so that you know I don't have you on ignore -- and am glad you came back, too! Hmm, but if you have me on ignore, you won't be reading this!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
32 on my "Ignore Poster" list, which doesn't count the users who've been banned.

I am happy that you can ignore anyone you wish. I would like the same privilege. However I have noticed that you cannot be put on ignore. Do you think you could speak to the mods, Mr. Moderator Emeritus, about restoring ignore function parity to the plebes around here?

Ha
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have 3 on my ignore list (not you), 2 of them seem to have left the forum on their own.
It is very possible that the folks you put on ignore may have left the forum with a mod bouncer at their elbow, gently ushering them on their way to a new place to party.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

As much as I've thought about doing so I've never put anyone on my ignore list on any forum. Then again if I'm on yours, you won't see this post.

I believe on this forum, I sort of get lost in the rubble anyway.

PS. that was my attempt at humour.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

No one have I put on ignore. Do at times practice selective hearing reading. Some novels long elaborations I'll skip over.
The downside to selective reading is that I occasionally miss a few good morsels of info.

Short, well packaged words of wisdom are a joy read.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

No one who posted here is on my ignore list.

I first thought reading all the posts was the right thing to do. Then I realized that this site contains a spectrum of people and not all posts are worth reading.
I think the ignore function is helpful to weed out those posters and have a good communication experience for those who remain.

I was curious to know how many people were ignoring me because I know that the way I write and that I sometime challenge the way people think can be off putting.

The writing style is because I don't like to write a lot. The challenging part is to offer a different perspective.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tend to agree with Dex. Notification to someone that he/she has been put on several ignore lists could be helpful in making one more circumspect about his/her posts, especially if that person often posts helpful things.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I tend to agree with Dex. Notification to someone that he/she has been put on several ignore lists could be helpful in making one more circumspect about his/her posts, especially if that person often posts helpful things.
Agreed. That kind of feedback can make one reflect on the way they're coming across without the kind of direct criticism that could be embarrassing or confrontational. Of course the one weakness of this kind of feedback is the lack of specificity about what is annoying other forum members. But most of the time that would probably be self apparent upon honest reflection.
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I actually don't have any individuals on ignore.

As far as showing the number of people who are ignoring you, several years ago they did that very briefly on the boards over on the Motley Fool. It was a very unpopular feature and was removed in a matter of days.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
No one who posted here is on my ignore list.
I first thought reading all the posts was the right thing to do. Then I realized that this site contains a spectrum of people and not all posts are worth reading.
I think the ignore function is helpful to weed out those posters and have a good communication experience for those who remain.
33 posts so far, two from posters on my "Ignore Poster" list.

Reading all the posts is something only a moderator in hell should have to do.

I find that I'll click on "View Post" a few times after adding someone to the list, but that dies out quickly. No behavioral change, no need to view the post. That's why they ended up on the ignore list in the first place. And not having to put up with their behavior helps keep us both from getting grumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I was curious to know how many people were ignoring me because I know that the way I write and that I sometime challenge the way people think can be off putting.
The writing style is because I don't like to write a lot. The challenging part is to offer a different perspective.
There's quite a separation between merely being a noodge and being the latest addition to an "Ignore Poster" list.

Quote:
I think a public "Ignore Poster" statistics list would be a very good thing. Maybe ignorees shouldn't have a list of specific posters who are ignoring them (to avoid targeted animosity or reprisals) but I think public summaries would be a valuable tool. It'd be extremely helpful for a poster to learn that 10 people are ignoring him... or for everyone else on the board to see that 10 people are ignoring that certain poster. It gives the poster immediate feedback and helps new users quickly decide who's worth listening to-- or what behaviors are deemed inappropriate. We have lists of the top number of posts, the top number of threads started, and the top threads viewed. We can also learn who's never posted. Why not name the banned posters, the top "Ignored" posters, and the top posters to have the annotation "[moderator edit]" sprinkled upon their work?

If publicity is deemed inappropriate, then perhaps disclosure could still be practiced. The moderators could let posters know when they "achieve" certain "milestones"-- as in "Dear Schmuckatelli, you might like to know that 50 people have put you on their 'Ignore Poster' lists. This feedback is intended to assist you in becoming a more valued member of the board."

But I guess this also depends on board culture. On another vBulletin board I happened to mention the names of three posters who I'd added to my "Ignore" list. Reprobation & castigation were immediately piled on my shoulders by shocked posters (not just the ones on my "Ignore" list) who couldn't believe that I'd have the audacity to publicly talk stink. Of course the board already talks plenty of stink, and their feedback tended to confirm the opinions I'd already formed about a couple of those other posters. But maybe on that board it's only considered inappropriate to talk stink if the recipient might actually read what you say about them. And on this board, the only way to truly determine the appropriateness of that feedback would be to post the summaries and see how the members respond.

Although I haven't confirmed it on this discussion board, I've also learned that vBulletin doesn't deliver PMs from posters on your "Ignore Poster" list and it doesn't inform the sender of non-delivery. An "ignored" poster can send you a thousand PMs, and vBulletin will give the impression that they've been sent, but they'll never be delivered to your "In" box and the ignoree will never know that the PMs have just vanished in the aether. Perhaps an ignored poster could leave a Visitor's message at the poster's profile, but I haven't confirmed that either. The only definite method for a poster on your "Ignore" list to actually contact you would be through e-mail, not through the board... assuming they could get through your e-mail filters.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
As far as showing the number of people who are ignoring you, several years ago they did that very briefly on the boards over on the Motley Fool. It was a very unpopular feature and was removed in a matter of days.
I don't think it should be made "public". I would favor only having the data made available to the particular individual.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think it should be made "public". I would favor only having the data made available to the particular individual.
I would support that if the ability to see it was user-configurable in the user control panel. Some people would like to have the feedback and others would rather not know.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I have five people on my ignore list. Two have left the board, one keeps posting the same, annoying told-you-so thread over and over and the last two ended up being on my ignore list after short forays into the soap box that didn't end well (I am ignoring the soap box altogether now).

But two more people were taken off my ignore list recently because I realized I may have misjudged them in the first place. So I do believe in second chances.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #38
gone traveling

I don't have anyone on my ignore list, but this thread stuck a chord with me. One of the mods PM'd me a while back and let me know that I was landing on a few ignore lists. I took that as constructive criticism, and have tried to tone down my posts quite a bit. I still feel strongly about certain topics, but having taken the time to observe what others have posted, (especially the wholesale cut-and-paste artists in the Soapbox) I now realize what I don't want my posts to look like. I don't use the ignore feature, because I enjoy reading the different points of view of many forum participants. Some of it is really quite amazing, and makes for interesting reading. After my PM with the mod, I quit feeling the need to fire off a response to everything that I disagree with and still enjoy the forum. Besides, nature abhors a vacuum,and others have stepped in to fill it.

Now, If I can just get a handle on that sarcasm thing...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

1. I have a Curmudgeon Certificate - downloaded from this very forum.

2. I have no problem with any poster since my mind is made up - I don't do facts or alternate opinions. Sometimes I may choose to march in a different direction - or not.

3. I say Pssst - Wellesley a lot. Heck - if Bogle can do index funds and repeat 'stay the course' over and over it's the least I can do.

heh heh heh - sarcasm? sarcasm? I don't need no stinking sarcasm. .

ok ok so maybe the Pat's do have a good football team.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #40
gone traveling

Sarcasm is intellect on the offensive.
author unknown
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote