Join Early Retirement Today

How many people are ignoring me?
Old 10-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How many people are ignoring me?

The ignore function is working well. I have 12 people on it and it makes reading the threads much better.

I was just curious - is there a way to find out how many people have me on their ignore list?

===
There's an idea in this question. If people knew how many people had them on their ignore list maybe they would change their posting content.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Dex, we don't release that information for public consumption. It has been discussed and there was consensus that it should remain confidential for mod and admin use only.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

txs
Old 10-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Perhaps you could start a thread with a poll - at least then you could find out who's not ignoring you

Personally, I think if someone puts you on ignore you should receive a notification just so you know how things are. But that's just my opinion.

(BTW - I'm not ignoring you - I was ignoring one person for awhile, but not anymore.) (Also DW says I'm ignoring her when I'm on here)
Old 10-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm not ignoring you, you cantankerous young coot!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have not ignored anyone, but I admit I have been tempted. Very few, though.

On the other hand, I have read an advice somewhere (a Libertarian newsletter loaned from a friend?) to do the reverse. It said to force yourself to read the obnoxious viewpoints that disgust you. It will keep your mind open, or something like that. I have forgotten all the points that were made, but I remember being impressed by the logic.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

On the other hand, I have read an advice somewhere (a Libertarian newsletter loaned from a friend?) to do the reverse. It said to force yourself to read the obnoxious viewpoints that disgust you. It will keep your mind open, or something like that. I have forgotten all the points that were made, but I remember being impressed by the logic.
I'm OK with that. Look at the content of the several posts (we all have bad days/posts and sometimes we make attempts at humor that don't always go over well)
The things I don't find valuable:
Dismissive or disrespectful posts responses
The same points interjected into threads - no matter what the subject
Vacuous responses

Telly was helpful to me in this thread
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...bye-36496.html

I pretty much came to the conclusion that the Ignore function was a good way to cut down on the noise.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

I have large lists of ignored/killfiled on many boards/forums.

It's great to 'keep your mind open', but after reading the same ignorance/drek several times, one must guard against brain apoptosis.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

i don't think i would take it personally if I was on someone's Ignore list.
Vive le difference!

i do not use the Ignore function at all. i merely hit the Back button on my browser if i see something opposite my views.

"go placidly among the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence"
Old 10-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't ignore anyone. I tried it once, but then I found myself wondering what they are saying....
Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Dismissive or disrespectful posts responses
I agree that the above is most bothersome to me. However, I try to be tolerant and allow a certain number of "aberrations", before I make up my mind about the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It's great to 'keep your mind open', but after reading the same ignorance/drek several times, one must guard against brain apoptosis.
I guess I have not hung around here long enough. So, I'll keep my mind open about the utility of the Ignore function then...

Did the above offend anyone?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I agree that the above is most bothersome to me. However, I try to be tolerant and allow a certain number of "aberrations", before I make up my mind about the person.

I guess I have not hung around here long enough. So, I'll keep my mind open about the utility of the Ignore function then...

Did you want it to?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Just an attempt at humor, as I usually do.

By the way, I have mentioned that this is my 1st and only forum I frequent so far. And I visit more when I am in a good mood. When I feel blue, like recently (not due to the market, by the way), I do not post. So, when I come here, I am not in the mood to pick a fight.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I turned off the avatars. I found some of them to be really intimidating or annoying.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Just an attempt at humor, as I usually do.

By the way, I have mentioned that this is my 1st and only forum I frequent so far. And I visit more when I am in a good mood. When I feel blue, like recently (not due to the market, by the way), I do not post. So, when I come here, I am not in the mood to pick a fight.
I don't want to pick fights.

I do not find your posts offensive.

Post when you feel like it.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i got the joke.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #17

There is a general poll someone did a few months ago about the ignore feature.

Something to the effect of "how many people do you have on ignore."
Old 10-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #18

It's not used as much as you might expect and the ones you think might be high on the list might be and the ones that you think might use it the most might and you could be wrong about the others.

And, it's probably reasonable to assume that anyone that replied to this thread doesn't have you on ignore

Sign up for a tour of duty as a moderator and you'll find out the answer to your question (but it'll be zero then since users can't ignore a mod).
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Something to the effect of "how many people do you have on ignore."
32 on my "Ignore Poster" list, which doesn't count the users who've been banned.

I find that a few posters are consistently more noise than signal or not really that interested in discussing early retirement. Others pound their one-key piano with nearly every post and don't have much to do with early retirement either. I don't mind reading dissenting opinions that are backed by mind-changing facts, but I'm not going to waste my time on someone who's more interested in being stubborn or obtuse or intolerant. And I don't appreciate one bit the way that a few have been driven away by the board's crowds, noise, and loss of focus.

I think that this board's search-engine optimization attracts far more users than it should, creates far more work than the moderators should attempt to tackle, and has created too big a crowd. I think users who would have been promptly banned a few years ago are allowed to stay here for longer than should be tolerated.

So I use the "Ignore Poster" list in an attempt to create a more enjoyable version of the way this board used to be. That's been especially useful in ignoring the entire Soapbox.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't want to pick fights.
I know. Not with me. Nor have I observed you with anyone else, at least since I joined.

Quote:
I do not find your posts offensive.
Thanks. Sometimes I wonder if my humor would be misunderstood. My friends have told me they like my E-mail musings, and still often do not understand it, but not in a bad way. Meaning, they weren't sure if I was serious or not on a certain statement. I usually try to be sure people know my joke is a joke, but it is easy to misunderstand someone. And particularly since I have not been here long...

Quote:
Post when you feel like it.
I have dropped out for a little while when I was busy (still freelancing and had to deliver), and feeling blue (again, not due to the market, nor the politics). Whenever you see me here, I am in a good mood. I do not want to bring my bad manner and ill temper to the public, even anonymously.