Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I regularly visit the bogleheads' forums but gosh, they are so serious over there and the moderation is so stringent that it makes for a dry, boring, and repetitive read. No thank you.
That site is a good resource and I pop in from time to time, but yeah, they are *very* strict on enforcing rules about OT topics. Imagine the HOA from Hell and all of its draconian restrictions and enforcement, and then double it. That's about what the moderation looks like there.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That site is a good resource and I pop in from time to time, but yeah, they are *very* strict on enforcing rules about OT topics. Imagine the HOA from Hell and all of its draconian restrictions and enforcement, and then double it. That's about what the moderation looks like there.
It is a good resource, that's why I keep visiting regularly. But I only spend a few minutes per day there. I can spend hours lingering on ER.org if I don't watch it.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #23
Administrator

This thread reminds me of every DW family get together I have ever been to. It truly cannot be appreciated without fermented or distilled beverages...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Yeah...... Seriousness here can be an issue when many of the members have to keep a name tag on so they can remember who they are.

But trying to be serious, and not talking about dogs and cats, I second Nord's idea about a social group, although, Ive not found anyone who wants to participate on my social group on Downeast Maine. Kinda hard to use your God-like powers when there is no one there to SMITE.

But if you start one I'll go there and talk with you about it, and if you're lucky, you be able to SMITE me.

Z

Hey Z,

If I KNEW anything about downeast Maine I would join your group... I did not even KNOW there were groups until a couple of days ago when finally decided to 'look around' the forum..

However... you might SMITE me from our other discussion anyhow
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

To the OP...

most every thread seems to get off track... some come back.... some do not... the other post seemed to be two different subjects in one.. to me that is not that bad... some have many more..

Maybe your question was just not interesting to a lot of the posters... I really don't care what happens to Seattle's pension plans.. but I thought it was interesting to talk about teachers...

As someone suggested... post your question again with the insight you have learned from the posts you liked... see what happens...

(but I bet bacon will come up real soon )
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Is there anything I could/should have done as the OP to keep the thread on topic? Was the "report thread" button the wrong way to contact the mods about this? In this situation, is it appropriate for non-mods to ask people whose OT comments are taking over, to start their own thread? Is it OK for me to start a new thread on the same topic as my original question and/or the Governance links?
How about saying to a the hijacker - 'don't thread jack; start another thread about that ...
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Come on Z, in one post you are supporting the idea of keeping threads on subject, but as soon as someone waves bacon in your face, off you go down a different path
I'm reformed. I attended the 12 step program on learning to RENT the thread rather than buying it.

And given the choice, I think a good bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwich WITH MUSTARD trumps threads anyday.

I remember when I was in college I was sent to the Dean's office for failing to attend Chapel on Tuesday mornings---- which in 1969 was required of everyone. I went and I was wearing my green striped 10 inch wide bell-bottoms, and my cordoroy sport jacket. He said, "NICE THREADS!" I KNEW THEY WERE. But I couldn't understand a word he was saying, and really couldn't tell him that the words he was saying we being diluted by the flames coming off the top of his head. But that was 41 years ago. And he's dead now.

When my class graduated two years later, while we were putting on our caps and gowns, He came in to make an annoucement. We waited with baited breath. He said, "Goodby, and Good Riddance." My class has the lowest giving rate of any class in school history.

What goes around comes around.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

What is the exact age range for a Cougar?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
How about saying to a the hijacker - 'don't thread jack; start another thread about that ...
This is a good solution too with the appropriate smiley ( , not !).
Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The more things stay the same:

Quote:
Can't we all just get along?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I regularly visit the bogleheads' forums but gosh, they are so serious over there and the moderation is so stringent that it makes for a dry, boring, and repetitive read. No thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Quote:
It is a good resource, that's why I keep visiting regularly. But I only spend a few minutes per day there. I can spend hours lingering on ER.org if I don't watch it.
And they have about 400 threads there for every 100 threads here, with no easy way to figure out which discussions you've been participating in.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The Boglehead forum is a great forum. It is a little hard to find stuff there and it isn't as fun as this one, so to speak.

Overall I think that moderation on this forum is just about right. I've done a great deal of forum/mailing list moderation in the past and know just how hard it can be. Of course some forums are harder to moderate than others (the ones where I've mostly been moderating teenagers and young adults spring to mind). But moderation this one has a really nice balance overall.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
The Boglehead forum is a great forum. It is a little hard to find stuff there and it isn't as fun as this one, so to speak.

Overall I think that moderation on this forum is just about right. I've done a great deal of forum/mailing list moderation in the past and know just how hard it can be. Of course some forums are harder to moderate than others (the ones where I've mostly been moderating teenagers and young adults spring to mind). But moderation this one has a really nice balance overall.
Moderation in moderation?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I never have any of these problems, because I use a Mac, or Firefox, or Ubuntu. You should, too.

Steve
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some people are dry, boring, and repetitive, so they like dry, boring, and repetitive threads.

If a thread I started went OT before I got my answer I would assume either than I didn't phrase my introduction welll, or that the topic just didn't interest members.

Isn't it natural that some things will be found less interesting than others? We are volunteers, we don't work for the board or the original poster.

Ha
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #36
gone traveling

My SIL "needs" 23K right away, but it falls outside my 4% SWR. Should I sell the motorhome?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
And given the choice, I think a good bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwich WITH MUSTARD trumps threads anyday.
Some responses are worse than dry and boring...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
My SIL "needs" 23K right away, but it falls outside my 4% SWR. Should I sell the motorhome?
Yes. Talk to W2R. She was on the bubble a week ago.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:25 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
YOu mean how old do they live, or how old do you have to be to own one of the cars of that name, or something else?
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
18-20 years in captivity and slightly longer in the wild.